News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: 50 years later woman claims affair with Dr. King  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: 50 years later woman claims affair with Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
G-Ram...the thing is, the people in his circle knew about the infidelity at the time it was going on. His wife knew. But in order not to tarnish his public image, it was kept very quiet and not leaked in public other than the tacky Cointel-Pro stuff that leaked it to his wife.

I heard about his infidelities when I was about in the third grade. That was about 20 or so years after his death, so it's not allegations made in the present. It's just like Nelson Mandela was alleged to have cheated on his first wife with Winnie and was known to be a notorious flirt after his release from prison but because of all he did it was swept under the rug.
:clap:...........absolutely BRILLIANT response to the question raised in G-Ram's^^^^^ post^^^^^^.

As Bfl mentioned, the allegations regarding MLK's infidelities were made contemporaneously while he was by that CREEP, J. Edgar Hoover, in audio recordings sent to Mrs. King.  And by others in the years following his death.  So Mrs. King was certainly aware of these allegations, and that is where I REALLY wanted to focus in THIS post.

I can't applaud Coretta King enough for having the decency and class not to go public with all of this stuff as she knew that it would diminish the importance of his work during his lifetime.  And she ALSO understood what it would mean to tarnish/smear/disparage the memory of her late husband and her children's father after his death.

Like many of you, I have read TONS of material over the years on MLK, and one of the most COMPELLING biographies that I have read was Stephen Oates, Let the Trumpet Sound, written over 30 years ago.  I was ASTOUNDED that a white author could have that compassion, sympathy and understanding of MLK and the movement as Oates had.  Incredibly detailed and nuanced, it was difficult to believe that a white man could write that way about a revered black leader.

But then Oates discussed the allegations of infidelity.  And while he never explicitedly stated in the book that he believed them, it was clear about his "treatment" of the subject that he concluded it likely occurred, and then VERY compassionately set for the conditions under which it likely occurred.  Mrs. King was quoted during her lifetime that the Oates biography was one of her favorites as well.  And I understand that the two surviving children of MLK - MLK, III and Berniece - have given their blessings to the Selma movie, in which this stuff is discussed as well.

So unless some of these gals have "video" to accompany their claims - and, who knows, they just might have some :shrug: - you can put this matter to rest.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »
Strike you don't consider Dexter a surviving MLK child lol?

I've never read that particular autobiography but I concur about the amazing class of Mrs. King during his life and until her death. She was the epitome of class, beauty and poise. Not many people, much less women could've tolerated that situation in the incredibly beautiful way she did.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »
Strike you don't consider Dexter a surviving MLK child lol?  :o

I've never read that particular autobiography but I concur about the amazing class of Mrs. King during his life and until her death. She was the epitome of class, beauty and poise. Not many people, much less women could've tolerated that situation in the incredibly beautiful way she did.
OMIGOD!!!!......I forgot all about dude.  DEFINITELY  wasn't trying to be facetious or anything.  Its just that I read something a few days that stated Martin III and Berniece had endorsed the Selma movie, and there was no mention of Dexter nor did I obviously take a "mental" note of his presence either.  I wonder what DOES he think about the movie. ???

And I also wonder if the children are STILL feuding with each other.  :(  I hope all three dig deep within themselves and find SOME kind of way to put up a "united" front on the MLK holiday coming up in less than two weeks.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
You know Dexter moved to Beverly Hills. He said he couldn't take the scrutiny in Atlanta. So more than likely he just didn't comment and more than likely they are still feuding. It happens when parents pass  :shrug: It's unfortunate, but I've seen it so many times. Obviously their mother was the glue that held them together.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News