News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: MEAC Championship Game  (Read 3045 times)

Offline The Truth

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://Yes
MEAC Championship Game
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »
With a 5-Way tie for our conference champions, how hard will or could it be for the MEAC officials to shave a games week off the regular season and have a championship game? We would've made more noise in the post season picture as well as BC.
The Answer

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: MEAC Championship Game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:46:56 AM »
This could totally work.  But to do so I believe that you may have to add one more football playing member.  Currently of the MEAC's 13 members only 11 carry football.  That's why there was a push by many to try and bring in a southern school (Morehouse / Albany State or even the two Alabama Teams from the SWAC)

Offline The Truth

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
Or we could drop 1 member. We are going to make a move after we win all of our non conference games next year.
The Answer

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »
Or we could drop 1 member. We are going to make a move after we win all of our non conference games next year.

Will you pay for the legal fees when that member school sues the conference? :shrug:

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »
The MEAC should add Alabama State.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
The MEAC should add Alabama State.

In order for the MEAC to pull State they would have to pull A&M as well to support regional competition and ease transportation concerns.  But the MEAC must make an aggressive run at one if not two schools in the near future.

Offline EAGLEMANIA2K

• Assistant GM
  • EAGLEMANIA SOARING IN THE MEAC BABY! EAGLE PRIDE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Ok, and if the two Alabama schools say no to the offer, who would be the next suggestion?
I was talking to a football player for Tenn State several months who work for a cell phone company,
and was asking if their institution thought of transitioning to the MEAC.  He stated they were
considering at one point but felt they would better off remaining where they are.  BisonBlu stated
Morehouse/Albany State.  What's your thought on that selection?
Wearing the colors of Maroon & Gray its, "THE DIRTY BIRDS" of N.C.C.U. EAGLE PRIDE AMPLIFIDE!!
2016-MEAC CHAMPS, Celebration Bowl Appearance, 2015, 2014  MEAC Football Co-CHAMPS, 2015-NIT, 2014 MEAC B-ball champs, NCAA appearance, BRINGING FINESSE, POWER AND EXCITEMENT TO THE M.E.A.C.!!!

Offline Dallas33

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re: MEAC Championship Game
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
The meac has more Football schools than the Swac so they should be able to petition the Ncaa to allow them a Championship Game.

Offline The Truth

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
We wouldn't need to ask the NCAA. That would be an issue for the conference office to meet and map a solution. It would be simple math to work this out. If the NCAA can change to a playoff system for the BCS championship, the MEAC can change this format. I can't recall a time we have ever had a mess like this. Do we really have 5 teams claiming to be MEAC champs? Does every team get a trophy and rings?
The Answer

Offline Dallas33

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
I was referring to the fact  that the MEAC has less than 12 football teams the minimum requirement for a Football Championship Game. So with out a waiver the conference would need to add another team. The Waiver seems to be the easier path, the Big 12 is considering this route for next year.

The Big 12 would need to add two teams or have the NCAA approve a waiver to have a conference championship game. The Big 12 has 10 teams, and a conference must have 12 teams to have a conference championship game.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 01:50:33 AM »
Ok, and if the two Alabama schools say no to the offer, who would be the next suggestion?
I was talking to a football player for Tenn State several months who work for a cell phone company,
and was asking if their institution thought of transitioning to the MEAC.  He stated they were
considering at one point but felt they would better off remaining where they are.  BisonBlu stated
Morehouse/Albany State.  What's your thought on that selection?

If the two AlAbama schools say no to the MEAC. You have to look at adding ant school that you can with a student population with over 6k. I would love to see Morehouse or Albany State however, with the NCAA fee raised to well over $1M to apply to move up to D1 I can't see either committing that on top of adding additional scholarships. They would gave to look at a PWI that is looking for a conference of with a very young athletic program.

Or even taking a look at adding Pioneer Conference Teams like Stetson or Jacksonville. This would give the MEAC a bigger footprint mid-major football in the state of Florida.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:59:02 AM by BisonBlu »

Offline BIG GRAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
We wouldn't need to ask the NCAA. That would be an issue for the conference office to meet and map a solution. It would be simple math to work this out. If the NCAA can change to a playoff system for the BCS championship, the MEAC can change this format. I can't recall a time we have ever had a mess like this. Do we really have 5 teams claiming to be MEAC champs? Does every team get a trophy and rings?

Yes, ALL five schools will get a share of the trophy and all teams will get rings.  And they all should since they all had the same record and no championship game.  We had only one rep for the playoff game though so we had to make that decision, but they ALL were regular season CHAMPS.
NCCU 2014, 2015 & 2016 Football MEAC CHAMPS

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
No to a  championship game! We are not the SWAC!!! An MEAC Championship game wouldn't draw flies.  I'd only be in favor of one if we could keep playing 3 non conference games.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »
No to a  championship game! We are not the SWAC!!! An MEAC Championship game wouldn't draw flies.  I'd only be in favor of one if we could keep playing 3 non conference games.

My thought is that you fight like hell to add two teams to the conference and play seven conference games and three to four non-conference games.  Five conference games against division rivals with the final two against other division; one at home one away.  Classic Games will still be a large draw and could begin to draw and pull larger crowds.  Championship Game should be played at a neutral site.

But more than anything negotiations to air games late night on either regionally through Fox Sports, Universal Sports or even Comcast Sports has to happen.

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
....the rumor mill is heating up on the other hbcu sports forums.... i dont like it :read:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule