News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: UNC's Vast Academic Fraud  (Read 2391 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
UNC's Vast Academic Fraud
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
Read more

UNC probe reveals approximately 1,500 student-athletes took bogus classes

The University of North Carolina Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes was found culpable of creating easy, non-show classes that catered to student-athletes in an effort to give them better grades.

Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official, said during a press conference Wednesday that academic counselors ushered as many as 3,100 students – approximately 1,500 of them student-athletes – into bogus classes that were geared toward keeping student-athletes eligible for play over the past 18 years (1993-2011).

The academic impropriety in Wainstein's report is far greater than previously reported by the school or to the NCAA.

Wainstein said many academic and athletic officials knew about the scheme, which began with Deborah Crowder, a longtime manager for the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, and gave student-athletes inflated grades for what Wainstein termed “paper classes.”
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • BEWARE!
    • View Profile
Re: UNC's Vast Academic Fraud
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
Its a no-brainer why this was done for some student-athletes.....

Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official, said during a press conference Wednesday that academic counselors ushered as many as 3,100 students – approximately 1,500 of them student-athletes – into bogus classes that were geared toward keeping student-athletes eligible for play over the past 18 years (1993-2011)

....but out of 3100, I'm curious as to the motivation for pushing non-student-athletes in to Micky Mouse classes...........?   :shrug:

Offline Mosadi

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Its a no-brainer why this was done for some student-athletes.....

Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official, said during a press conference Wednesday that academic counselors ushered as many as 3,100 students – approximately 1,500 of them student-athletes – into bogus classes that were geared toward keeping student-athletes eligible for play over the past 18 years (1993-2011)

....but out of 3100, I'm curious as to the motivation for pushing non-student-athletes in to Micky Mouse classes...........?   :shrug:

Not everyone was steered into the classes. According to the report the fraternities learned of the classes and started taking them for easy grades.  At one point, Crowder and the academic support staff became annoyed because they believed the frats would crowd out the student-athletes. 

More interesting to me is that the academic support staff gave a Powerpoint presentation with the following slide when Debbie Crowder was about to retire.  Most of the football staff including Butch Davis was present.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • BEWARE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
 :blush: i See!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »
At UNC the hits just keep on coming.    :snicker

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
 :lmao:

UNC ain't the only one. Why do y'all think none of the big time programs are getting hit with APR issues? Its the HBCUs and smaller schools like Saint Francis PA. That's right, Saint Francis PA has been hit with APR sanctions and all those Ivy league schools in the SEC have no issues. ::)

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »
So they are trying to say the coaches weren't aware? ........Bullsh*t!

Teflon Tarheels      ::)

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
So they are trying to say the coaches weren't aware? ........Bullsh*t!

Teflon Tarheels   FBS ::) fixed that for ya FBS stands for full of bull s**t

Offline KHawk

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:25:02 AM »
Does this really surprise anyone?  I am sure UNC is not the only school who does this is some disguised form or another.  In a sense it is a form of exploitation.  They bring in marginal academically prepared "student athletes" to compete at the highest level.  They have to keep them eligible to play.  Have you ever noticed the majority of vehicles a lot of these kids drive?  I work every day, am retired from the military and I can't afford most of them.  IJS!!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:39:40 AM by KHawk »

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »
Not surprising this scandal hit squarely on a BS program like African-American Studies. This course of study is legendary for it's light weight academic strength. Unfortunately, this young athletics caught up in this scam will more than likely be majority black. (I bet dollars to donuts some liberal do-gooder thought this scheme up...You know liberals always have good intentions for black folk that always seem to go awry.)

I just keep reflecting on the good advice Justice Thomas gave to one you black man headed off to college. To bad white liberals want to cancel out people like Justice Thomas less more young black people listen to his sage and wise advice.

Cedric is invited to meet Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, the only African American Supreme Court Justice. They meet in Thomas’s office at the Supreme Court Building. Thomas is still suffering from the publicity of the confirmation hearings and the accusations of sexual harassment from Anita Hill. Thomas had read about Cedric in the newspaper and generously shares his memories of his climb to the top and all the obstacles he had to overcome.

Thomas warns him about losing his identity at Brown around the smart white kids. He should always be himself and avoid being sucked into any group. He should avoid the courses on African American studies and take solid academic courses. He must outwork the others since they have advantages. He will not have a second chance if he fails, and he will not be able to go back to his old world and might not fit in the new one either.

http://www.novelguide.com/a-hope-in-the-unseen/summaries/chapter5
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:31:43 AM by oldsport »

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
If you think only just academically ill-prepared student-athletes are being steered toward easy classes, then I got beach front property to sell you in Greenland.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
Noooooo, not my Tar Heels. :'( :'( :'( :brickwall: :'( :'(  And African American Studies. :shrug:  No, not us. :'( :'(
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »
I would have loved to take a course on African American Studies and History. There is so much I DON'T know,,,,,,,, :no:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
And there goes Old Clown with is Tom Foolery B.S.  :no:

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
I would have loved to take a course on African American Studies and History. There is so much I DON'T know,,,,,,,, :no:

Get a couple of good book by noted black historians. This is how I learned my African-American history and other matters about African-Americans. If you need the name of sources and material, just let me know.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News