News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Albany State’s Mike White retuns home to face Paine  (Read 268 times)

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Albany State’s Mike White retuns home to face Paine
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:14:03 AM »
ALBANY — Albany State head football coach Mike White can tell you all the shortcuts between Albany and Augusta, the site of this weekend’s SIAC East Division battle between White’s Rams and Paine College.

While White and his family are firmly entrenched at Albany State, it will be a homecoming for him on Saturday when the two teams at 4 p.m.

“It’s always good to go home,” White said. “There’s nothing like getting to see some old faces that I haven’t seen in a while. I’m looking forward to seeing my dad and immediate family and stuff. I’ll see a lot of friends I haven’t seen in a while.”

But playing the Lions, who returned to football this season, will be a challenge. Paine (0-4, 0-2 SIAC East) is still seeking its first victory and would like nothing more than to upend the preseason conference favorites.

Albany State (1-2, 1-0) knows it will get Paine’s best shot.

##“There can’t be any letdowns,” White said. “Everybody kind of puts you on the calendar as making their season (if they can beat you). That’s just the way we have to approach it and prepare hard.”

Junior cornerback Fred Holton, who returned a fumble recovery 97 yards in the Rams’ 14-7 victory over Miles College last week, knows playing at Paine is going to be a challenge.

“They set their season on one team and that’s the best team in the conference,” Holton said. “I feel like we’re the best team in the conference. I haven’t seen anyone on film that can outdo us on the days that we come to play.”

SCORING TROUBLE: White again expressed his frustration over the Rams’ lack of scoring this season. In just three games against Valdosta State, Tuskegee and Miles, ASU has combined to score just 36 points in the three games.

Last Saturday night’s 14 points was the Rams’ largest scoring output of the season. And only one touchdown was scored by the offense – a 2-yard plunge late in the first quarter by quarterback Frank Rivers.

“I don’t like that we’re not putting points up right now,” White said. “Three games, we only have three offensive touchdowns. But I do like the spirit of the team. They kind of recognize who they are, accepting that and playing hard. I like where we are mentally.”

OL, RUNNING ATTACK OK:
White continues to gloat over the Rams’ fourth quarter last Saturday against Miles. Even though they did not score, they used a brutal ground attack led by Jarvis Smalls to pound the Golden Bear defense and kept Miles’ potent offense off the field.

“I thought it was really good to see us when Miles was trying to stop us from running,” White said. “I haven’t seen that in a while. That was great to see and it really lifted our team. We’re not successful if that line and Smalls are not running the ball the way they did.”

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2014/oct/01/albany-state-notebook-albany-state8217s-mike/?sports

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News