News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: YOUR SAY: President Ivelaw Griffith’s leadership of FVSU  (Read 1998 times)

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
YOUR SAY: President Ivelaw Griffith’s leadership of FVSU
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:27:10 PM »
While relaxing on Sunday evening and recounting the festivities that I enjoyed from the matchup with CAU, I pickup of the Macon Telegraph and began reading. I was taken aback by the article, written be a fellow alumni, Mr. Ortho Kincy. After perusing the article, I was very pleased in which the manner the information was given. Mr. Kincy gave his information from a level platform, allowing the sitting president to make correction starting with himself, along with his cabinet. Therefore, I decided to paste the article, along with the link; so that others may become informed to the truth of our current. May this continue to be distribute to other alumni, and supporters of this institution.

Here is the link as well: http://www.macon.com/2014/09/28/3330810/your-say-president-ivelaw-griffiths.html

By OTHA LEON KINCY - Special to The Telegraph

September 28, 2014  

After reading the Telegraph’s article, dated Sept. 3, “Fort Valley State announces layoffs, cuts after enrollment drops,” I would like to help set the record straight.

I have observed President Ivelaw Griffith’s leadership of the Fort Valley State University for over a year. In the article, the president said “our university’s challenges have not been met head-on over the years, but we can ill afford to continue doing so.” This is not an accurate statement.

As a graduate and later employee of the university, I also watched the previous president, Dr. Larry E. Rivers, and his administrative team, faculty and staff “meet challenges head-on over the years.” For example, president Rivers started paying back over $2 million in student financial aid funds to the federal government his first day on the job. Within three years, the student financial aid debt ended successfully.

Rivers faced a $5 million deficit when he walked in the door as well. He got to work on reducing the deficit without blaming anyone. A group of residents also met with the University System chancellor to discuss FVSU’s deficit. All parties concerned came to an agreement. And within a year, the deficit ended successfully. And during his seven-and-a-half-year tenure, Rivers never had a deficit.

Rivers faced Southern Association of Colleges accreditation challenges, but in December 2012 they, too, ended successfully. Financial management issues plagued the university for several years. But at the end of his last year, FVSU received a clean audit, with no findings whatsoever.

Rivers faced a somewhat dilapidated campus, with many buildings in disrepair. The construction of new buildings and the renovation of others became a reality, totaling approximately $175 million.

Rivers faced fundraising challenges. So he and his wife, Betty, contributed $100,000 on their second day at FVSU. Leading by example, they asked alumni, friends and others to do the same in supporting student scholarships. In fact, alumni giving went from 4 percent in 2006 to 18 percent by 2013 under his leadership.

The funds in the Fort Valley State University Foundation, for example, went from $3.2 million to over $7 million. Raising scholarship funds to recruit students became a top priority for his administration. With help from the faculty, staff, administration, students and other supporters, Rivers faced, indeed, many challenges “head-on” and achieved great results in most cases.

In several speeches I have heard, Griffith’s primary focus seems to be on recruiting international students. While I think it’s admirable to want to attract foreign students and have an international program, he should adhere to the university’s mission by focusing primarily on recruiting Georgia students.

In terms of recruiting “good students,” Griffith should raise money, go out and get them. Two hundred and fifty students graduated the fall 2013 semester, while 350 graduated the spring 2014 semester, resulting in a total of 600 graduates for the past academic year.

For fall 2014, FVSU has a total of 489 freshmen, of which approximately 245 are first-time entering students. President Griffith and his recruitment team should have developed an aggressive recruitment strategy to replace, at least, students who graduated, while encouraging others to return.

It’s a known fact that a state system school gets $1 million for every 100 students it enrolls during the fall and spring semesters.

Moreover, if Griffith had exerted just a little more tenacity to recruit at least 600 to 700 additional Georgia students to replace those who graduated, his overall deficit would be negligible. Strategic planning is an important component of good leadership.

There has been much discussion concerning the types of students admitted during Rivers’ tenure. As a recruiter for the university, we ambitiously sought to attract, with great success, students who had good grades and Board of Regents-sanctioned SAT or ACT scores.

However, much like other colleges and universities in the University System of Georgia, FVSU allowed some students who had not met all admissions requirements to enroll based on the university’s special admissions process. Now, Griffith will do what he complained the previous administration did by also admitting students “outside of the USG admissions standards” through the “new university college.” How interesting.

In the same article, Griffith also said “we are reaching out to Hispanic students, we are reaching out to Asian students, we are reaching out to white students, and we are reaching out to international students.” Does that statement mean that the president will not be reaching out to his base, black Georgia residents who have been the backbone of the university since 1895? Based on the university’s mission statement, Griffith should be “reaching out” to all Georgia students, period.

Indeed, Rivers faced many challenges “head-on,” and he left Griffith a better FVSU, with a clean financial audit, no deficits, no SACS concerns, no student financial aid challenges, new and renovated buildings, a much stronger foundation, better community relations and over 3,000 students. Griffith’s top two planning initiatives should be recruiting and fundraising. A good leader picks up where the previous leader left off without complaining about the challenges he or she faces.

Some people know Griffith likes to quote distinguished personalities. Well, Booker T. Washington, a great leader and president of prestigious Tuskegee University, said, “cast down your bucket where you are.”

The president needs to cast his bucket down in Fort Valley and surrounding communities, learn better the culture of the South and start working with all Georgians, regardless of race, color or creed, to move Fort Valley State University to the next level.

Otha Leon Kincy is a 1972 graduate and former FVSU director of recruiting. He lives in Fort Valley.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/09/28/3330810/your-say-president-ivelaw-griffiths.html#storylink=cpy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:55:16 PM by #1wildcatfan »

Offline akaree16

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:39:11 AM »

After reading the Telegraph’s article, dated Sept. 3, “Fort Valley State announces layoffs, cuts after enrollment drops,” I would like to help set the record straight.

I have observed President Ivelaw Griffith’s leadership of the Fort Valley State University for over a year. In the article, the president said “our university’s challenges have not been met head-on over the years, but we can ill afford to continue doing so.” This is not an accurate statement.

As a graduate and later employee of the university, I also watched the previous president, Dr. Larry E. Rivers, and his administrative team, faculty and staff “meet challenges head-on over the years.” For example, president Rivers started paying back over $2 million in student financial aid funds to the federal government his first day on the job. Within three years, the student financial aid debt ended successfully.

Rivers faced a $5 million deficit when he walked in the door as well. He got to work on reducing the deficit without blaming anyone. A group of residents also met with the University System chancellor to discuss FVSU’s deficit. All parties concerned came to an agreement. And within a year, the deficit ended successfully. And during his seven-and-a-half-year tenure, Rivers never had a deficit.

Rivers faced Southern Association of Colleges accreditation challenges, but in December 2012 they, too, ended successfully. Financial management issues plagued the university for several years. But at the end of his last year, FVSU received a clean audit, with no findings whatsoever.

Rivers faced a somewhat dilapidated campus, with many buildings in disrepair. The construction of new buildings and the renovation of others became a reality, totaling approximately $175 million.

Rivers faced fundraising challenges. So he and his wife, Betty, contributed $100,000 on their second day at FVSU. Leading by example, they asked alumni, friends and others to do the same in supporting student scholarships. In fact, alumni giving went from 4 percent in 2006 to 18 percent by 2013 under his leadership.

The funds in the Fort Valley State University Foundation, for example, went from $3.2 million to over $7 million. Raising scholarship funds to recruit students became a top priority for his administration. With help from the faculty, staff, administration, students and other supporters, Rivers faced, indeed, many challenges “head-on” and achieved great results in most cases.

In several speeches I have heard, Griffith’s primary focus seems to be on recruiting international students. While I think it’s admirable to want to attract foreign students and have an international program, he should adhere to the university’s mission by focusing primarily on recruiting Georgia students.

In terms of recruiting “good students,” Griffith should raise money, go out and get them. Two hundred and fifty students graduated the fall 2013 semester, while 350 graduated the spring 2014 semester, resulting in a total of 600 graduates for the past academic year.

For fall 2014, FVSU has a total of 489 freshmen, of which approximately 245 are first-time entering students. President Griffith and his recruitment team should have developed an aggressive recruitment strategy to replace, at least, students who graduated, while encouraging others to return.

It’s a known fact that a state system school gets $1 million for every 100 students it enrolls during the fall and spring semesters.

Moreover, if Griffith had exerted just a little more tenacity to recruit at least 600 to 700 additional Georgia students to replace those who graduated, his overall deficit would be negligible. Strategic planning is an important component of good leadership.

There has been much discussion concerning the types of students admitted during Rivers’ tenure. As a recruiter for the university, we ambitiously sought to attract, with great success, students who had good grades and Board of Regents-sanctioned SAT or ACT scores.

However, much like other colleges and universities in the University System of Georgia, FVSU allowed some students who had not met all admissions requirements to enroll based on the university’s special admissions process. Now, Griffith will do what he complained the previous administration did by also admitting students “outside of the USG admissions standards” through the “new university college.” How interesting.

In the same article, Griffith also said “we are reaching out to Hispanic students, we are reaching out to Asian students, we are reaching out to white students, and we are reaching out to international students.” Does that statement mean that the president will not be reaching out to his base, black Georgia residents who have been the backbone of the university since 1895? Based on the university’s mission statement, Griffith should be “reaching out” to all Georgia students, period.

Indeed, Rivers faced many challenges “head-on,” and he left Griffith a better FVSU, with a clean financial audit, no deficits, no SACS concerns, no student financial aid challenges, new and renovated buildings, a much stronger foundation, better community relations and over 3,000 students. Griffith’s top two planning initiatives should be recruiting and fundraising. A good leader picks up where the previous leader left off without complaining about the challenges he or she faces.

Some people know Griffith likes to quote distinguished personalities. Well, Booker T. Washington, a great leader and president of prestigious Tuskegee University, said, “cast down your bucket where you are.”

The president needs to cast his bucket down in Fort Valley and surrounding communities, learn better the culture of the South and start working with all Georgians, regardless of race, color or creed, to move Fort Valley State University to the next level.

Otha Leon Kincy is a 1972 graduate and former FVSU director of recruiting. He lives in Fort Valley.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/09/28/3330810/your-say-president-ivelaw-griffiths.html#storylink=cpy

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: YOUR SAY: President Ivelaw Griffith’s leadership of FVSU
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I was told this morning in a message that this letter wasn't written by Kincy, but by someone else.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »

Pretty much....

Dr. Rivers certainly wasn't all bad, but he wasn't the patron saint of FVSU either.  He made a lot of questionable decisions (when he actually made them) on personnel and other issues, but what's done is done.  He served for 7 years and has ridden on into the sunset. I wish him well.  :nod:

I'm willing to give Dr. Griffith the same chance as I've given the rest (do I have a choice?).  It's only been a year and it appears as if he is communicating with alumni and making some inroads.   I'm a tad bit concerned about his approach to recruitment, but I hope he knows and realizes that recruiting quality AA students is where his bread and butter is.   I'm sure he does.  Perhaps his focus is on international and other ethnicities because he realizes the old model won't necessarily work anymore.  

I'm 100% sure Dr. Griffith has read the article by now, so I hope that Dr.  Griffith takes the constructive criticism and does his job with compassion for FVSU by working to acquire quality programs, to maintain and sustain the quality programs we already have, and to attract and retain quality students.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:38:03 AM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
There is this thought process by some alums that Dr. Griffith is abandoning the AA student base in favor of international students.   :shrug:   :no:  That could NOT be farther from the truth.  The aim to recruit international students is another avenue to increase student enrollment.  There are international students who have funds available to pay their tuition and fees and will not require any type of student loan. There are those who need to remove the blinders and think outside of the box.
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Wildcat1025

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »

There is this thought process by some alums that Dr. Griffith is abandoning the AA student base in favor of international students.   :shrug:   :no:  That could NOT be farther from the truth.  The aim to recruit international students is another avenue to increase student enrollment.  There are international students who have funds available to pay their tuition and fees and will not require any type of student loan. There are those who need to remove the blinders and think outside of the box.

Agreed!!  :nod:
Fort Valley State University
www.fvsu.edu
www.fvsusports.com

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »
They are taking the President's message of recruiting internationally and utilizing it as bulletin board material for their own cause. Their intent on smearing him when they know fully well the President has made it clear that he was not going to stop recruiting students in the Middle Georgia area nor the state for African-American students. His director of recruitment also made it clear in his presentation and sectioned the state off with his recruiters. Former Miss Fort Valley State is a recruiter and I believe she has the Atlanta and North Georgia area.

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »
I'm glad that the aforementioned recruiter, former Miss FVSU, is a graduate of the institution. From what I heard from the director of recruiting wasn't very encouraging in regards to the institution. Her regards were geared more to her institution. It was very prominent in the alumni meeting held on the campus, which she was late for and could not answer any questions.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
From what I heard from the director of recruiting wasn't very encouraging in regards to the institution. Her regards were geared more to her institution. It was very prominent in the alumni meeting held on the campus, which she was late for and could not answer any questions.

AGAIN, that's what you heard and not what you KNOW. She isn't the director of recruitment. I met the director of recruitment earlier this year at my alumni chapter meeting. He's done a presentation of the numbers to us and we were pleased and ecstatic for the first time we actually saw the numbers EVER. We know what we are up against even before the Fall enrollment numbers came out. See that's my problem with some of you alums. You all are like church folks that will say "AMEN" to whatever the preacher preaches, instead of, reading and understanding the Bible for yourself. Please, obtain knowledge, sir by reading and understanding.

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
I was told this morning in a message that this letter wasn't written by Kincy, but by someone else.

I find those comments extremely hard to believe because I have written many articles for several newspapers across the country and I have always received a phone call to verify I was the author. 
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
I find those comments extremely hard to believe because I have written many articles for several newspapers across the country and I have always received a phone call to verify I was the author. 

Who cares? This isn't about you.

that's all...  ???

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »

Who cares? This isn't about you.

that's all...  ???
Nope it is not about me, you are suppose to be an educated man; yet you use intuitive reasoning and does not consider that Telegraph is liable if they could not confirm the article.  Also, if it was falsely printed, then they would have issue a statement, the minute it was reported as not being creditable.
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
Uh...this is the Macon Telegraph that live for reporting anything negative about the university. Are you serious? They will take anything they want when it comes to Fort Valley State and print it as gospel. The message that was sent to me knows Kincy personally. So, you believe what you want to believe, bruh.

that's all...   :lol:

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »
Wildkitties... :nono2:

Teeny and Little

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News