News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Can Baseball Win Back the African-American Community?  (Read 5330 times)

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Can Baseball Win Back the African-American Community?
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
you have implied that a reduced strike zone would lead to more hitting, thus increased scoring.  Games that have more scoring last longer.  Then you would probably want to institute a 10 run rule or less OR reduce the innings of a complete game.

I just don't see what you've proposed as feasible.  Start up your version of baseball and see if it outdraws today's game.

oh, the strike zone while defined in today's game is still very much subjective to the home plate umpire.  You probably need technology to enforce a narrow strike that you propose.

Furthermore, a no-hitter is one of the great feats in baseball, and you want to try to eliminate it?  :no:
That in and of itself shows your lack of understanding of baseball.  Just turn the channel.

heck yeah, i’d like to see the end of “no hitters”.  folk go to baseball games to see “hits” and scoring.  nobody wants to sit thru a “no hitter” unless their opponents are the one’s not hitting.  and, more runs don’t necessarily mean games will last longer.  right now, one batter can take forever to either hit the ball or strike out.  batters would take a lot fewer pitches with a reduced strike zone which means it would take less time to determine if a batter will be on base or get out.

look, only baseball “purest” like sitting 4 hours watching guys "spit" all over the place with very little action.  softball games are far more entertaining than baseball games.  and it doesn’t take softball forever to play a game and they have a ton of hits throughout their games.  more hits and more runs don’t mean longer games when batters spend significantly “less” time in the box...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »
your comments about no hitters is ridiculous.  I'm not sure how old you are, but I was a kid in 1964 when Jim Bunning threw not just a no hitter, but a perfect game in Shea Stadium against my beloved NY METS.  The NY fans stood and cheered this once in a lifetime event.  You on the other hand would have felt cheated.

exaggeration.  batters don't  take forever and a typical baseball game is played in about 3 hrs or less.  Same as an NFL game.  Do you conplain when Peyton Manning takes forever to snap the ball calling all his audibles?  I don't I understand it's part of the game.  When I seek entertainment I want my money's worth. 3 hours spent in a MLB park is heaven and I would feel the same way attending an NFL game.

If your so important and time so valuable, just read the box scores.

More runs scored leads to a longer game unless you only want one team scoring.  Again, you really don't know baseball.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
your comments about no hitters is ridiculous.  I'm not sure how old you are, but I was a kid in 1964 when Jim Bunning threw not just a no hitter, but a perfect game in Shea Stadium against my beloved NY METS.  The NY fans stood and cheered this once in a lifetime event.  You on the other hand would have felt cheated.

exaggeration.  batters don't  take forever and a typical baseball game is played in about 3 hrs or less.  Same as an NFL game.  Do you conplain when Peyton Manning takes forever to snap the ball calling all his audibles?  I don't I understand it's part of the game.  When I seek entertainment I want my money's worth. 3 hours spent in a MLB park is heaven and I would feel the same way attending an NFL game.

If your so important and time so valuable, just read the box scores.

More runs scored leads to a longer game unless you only want one team scoring.  Again, you really don't know baseball.

not true!  most baseball games last longer than 3 hours and some of them can go on into the wee hours of the mornings if there are extra innings.  i’m not a baseball fan, but i’m a dc nationals fan and i record every game they play. too “boring” to sit thru all of the “dead time” in baseball.  so i don’t even watch the nationals pitchers pitch, i fast forward thru that “boredom”.  i only watch when the nationals bat, and even still i’ll fast forward thru a lot of that.

not enough “action” in baseball games.  too much “dead time”.  so much “dead time” that baseball radio and tv announcers have to talk about stuff unrelated to the game to fill all of the “dead time”.  too much standing around doing nothing in baseball.  you never see baseball players get so winded that they need to take a rest because 90% of time they’re not running, they’re just standing in one place.  that’s why mlb is the only professional team sport that can play a “double-header” in the same day whereas ain’t no way in hail professional football teams can play a double header.

the only positive i’ll give baseball is that the rules are easy to understand, so just about anybody can understand most of the baseball rules.  but as far as the game being “action packed”, that would not be a typical baseball game...

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
There is a lot of dead time in football, too. A lot.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
A smaller strike zone would lead to more walks.  MLB pitchers aren't Gods.  With the current strike zone they have a hard time hitting their spots.  I saw Kershaw try to knock an apple off the head of Jimmy Kimmel.  He hit him in the face.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News