News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Can Baseball Win Back the African-American Community?  (Read 6003 times)

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Can Baseball Win Back the African-American Community?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »

most of our athletes prefer sports that are more “athletically challenging” than baseball.  hitting and catching a baseball doesn’t require a great deal of “athleticism”, just a great deal of hand and eye coordination.  baseball is too “slow” and too “boring” for most of our athletes.  they need to speed up the pace of baseball and “increase scoring” if they want to attract aa youth of today.

unlike most other professional leagues (i.e., nfl, nba), baseball “rarely” changes their rules to make the game more appealing to national fans.  the nfl is “constantly” changing its rules to increase offense and scoring and that’s why the nfl is america’s number 1 professional sport.  i mean, you can barely touch a qb or a wr in football compared to 20 or 30 years ago.  even the nba introduced the 3 point shot, took “hand checking” away, and introduced the foul lane “restriction circle” to increase offense.

so i think baseball needs to make rules changes that speeds up the game and increases offense if they want to attract more aa youth to the sport...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »

most of our athletes prefer sports that are more “athletically challenging” than baseball.  hitting and catching a baseball doesn’t require a great deal of “athleticism”, just a great deal of hand and eye coordination.  baseball is too “slow” and too “boring” for most of our athletes.  they need to speed up the pace of baseball and “increase scoring” if they want to attract aa youth of today.

unlike most other professional leagues (i.e., nfl, nba), baseball “rarely” changes their rules to make the game more appealing to national fans.  the nfl is “constantly” changing its rules to increase offense and scoring and that’s why the nfl is america’s number 1 professional sport.  i mean, you can barely touch a qb or a wr in football compared to 20 or 30 years ago.  even the nba introduced the 3 point shot, took “hand checking” away, and introduced the foul lane “restriction circle” to increase offense.

so i think baseball needs to make rules changes that speeds up the game and increases offense if they want to attract more aa youth to the sport...

let me see....to increase scoring you must HIT the baseball.  But as you claim, it isn't too hard to hit the ball.  So why isn't there more scoring?

It's because it's DAMN HARD to HIT a baseball pitched by a major league pitcher.  Why do you think a batting average of .300 or greater is still considered an above average hitter?  You do realize that .300 is only 30%.

What do you propose turning MLB into a tee ball league, or stick ball like it's played on the streets of NYC in the summer.  Shyt I could be a major league player if that were to happen.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

let me see....to increase scoring you must HIT the baseball.  But as you claim, it isn't too hard to hit the ball.  So why isn't there more scoring?

It's because it's DAMN HARD to HIT a baseball pitched by a major league pitcher.  Why do you think a batting average of .300 or greater is still considered an above average hitter?  You do realize that .300 is only 30%.

What do you propose turning MLB into a tee ball league, or stick ball like it's played on the streets of NYC in the summer.  Shyt I could be a major league player if that were to happen.

first of all, calm your a--zz down, i never once said it wasn't hard to hit a baseball.  please show me where i said that?

what i said was, it takes good hand and eye coordination to hit a baseball, but not "athleticism".  and that's a true statement.  you don't need foot speed or jumping ability to hit a baseball.  you don't need "athleticism" to hit a baseball.  but i never said it was easy to hit a baseball.  just because hitting a baseball is difficult doesn't mean it requires "athleticism".

now, to me, to increase scoring they should reduce the size of the strike zone.  almost force pitchers to put the ball over home plate.  that should make hitting easier and also increase scoring...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
^^
I take it you never played organized baseball growing up?  You don't have much time at the plate to decide to swing or not.

To be quite honest, your posts on this thread are inanely and ignorantly devoid of logic. Not sure if you're being sincere or inflammatory. So obviously, using your logic, one would only sweat at a baseball game, not basketball or football.

If you had ever played baseball you would know that there is more to the game than just hitting.  Or in your case striking out. 

Just to name a few:  Deciding what pitch to throw.  The pitch location.  The shift.  When to bring the infield in.  When to do a squeeze play.  When to call a suicide squeeze.  When to bunt.

Don't forget six ways to get on base without getting a hit. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
reduce the strike zone?   :lmao:

I thought you wanted to speed up the game?  that would only increase walking.

why not outlaw curve balls, sliders...hell just set it on tee for you ADHD peeps.

Hand / eye coordination in a sport is athleticism.... imo

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »

Too many boys in single family homes, huh? So why are they playing football and basketball then?

Basketball is indoor.  The weather is cooler in football.  The mothers won't have to sweat their weaves out for those sports.

Those people that say baseball is boring don't know and/or have never played the game.  Also, you have to think in baseball.  That is probably too much for those people.

I grew up playing cricket, which has tons more "Thinking"  or strategy in both bowling and batting than baseball, and I can still say baseball is more boring in both playing and watching.

you probably suffer from ADHD.  Baseball is not boring.  You just need to "see" something moving constantly to satisfy your ADHD.

I dont think I do. Baseball is just boring.
No, your bored and you want something to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is what I am saying really such an incendiary statement?  There is a long running American cartoon called south park that dedicated an entire episode to the kids trying to lose their little league baseball game because its boring. The other kids were trying to lose too so it became impossible for them :lol:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »
^^
I take it you never played organized baseball growing up?  You don't have much time at the plate to decide to swing or not.

To be quite honest, your posts on this thread are inanely and ignorantly devoid of logic. Not sure if you're being sincere or inflammatory. So obviously, using your logic, one would only sweat at a baseball game, not basketball or football.

If you had ever played baseball you would know that there is more to the game than just hitting.  Or in your case striking out. 

Just to name a few:  Deciding what pitch to throw.  The pitch location.  The shift.  When to bring the infield in.  When to do a squeeze play.  When to call a suicide squeeze.  When to bunt.

Don't forget six ways to get on base without getting a hit. 

Wow, how could I ever be so trite to forget that you were All-World at everything.  C'mon y, impress us, post your Little League stats.....we know you got em committed to memory......

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:51 PM »
reduce the strike zone?   :lmao:

I thought you wanted to speed up the game?  that would only increase walking.

why not outlaw curve balls, sliders...hell just set it on tee for you ADHD peeps.

since when does your hands and eyes make you "athletic"?  hands and eyes don't win 100 meter sprints, legs do!  you mean to tell me you think someone who uses their hands and eyes extremely well is athletic?  dude, pub-leeeze.

and, by reducing the strike zone, doesn't necessarily mean walking a lot.  you can only walk a team 4 times before they score a run without hitting the ball.  pitchers are not gonna let that happen.  pitchers would rather make you "earn" your runs than just give them to you for free.  no pitcher is gonna intentionally walk 3 or 4 guys in a row.  reducing the strike zone will make the game more about "defense" than pitching because there would be many more hits to defend than now.  right now, an out fielder could literally eat a pizza in left field and not miss a beat.  reducing the strike zone would put an end to that because the hits would be coming far more frequently.

i would also place limits on how many times a manager or teammate can walk onto the field to talk to his pitcher.  i'd give each team a maximum of maybe 3 or 4 "timeouts" per game, otherwise they can't walk onto the field and stop the game whenever they feel like it.  you could also place a time limit on the time between each pitch, sorta like the nfl's play clock or the nba's shot clock.

there's a lot of changes that could speed up the pace and increase scoring in baseball.  but baseball is too "conservative" and too much influenced by "tradition" to make those changes.  change the rules and make the game more entertaining and more action oriented...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:32:57 PM by oleschoolaggie »

Offline MyTeVyKn

• Assistant GM
  • "Keep That Viking Pride Dream Alive..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »
Sorry gang, but just had to chime in on this discussion about baseball my all time favorite past times.  Yes, I LIVE, LOVE, and PLAY(ed) football and basketball as I was a tri-sportsman throughout my High School playing days but the game of baseball gives me goose bumps at just the smell of springtime.  I know, I know, our commentary seem to go round robin on some these topics so many times that you really don't care to hear the same thing over and over again.  So, please don't let me bore you with what I'm about to say about the game.

First here is an excerpt of some of the Black/African-American history of the game.  I think if some of you really knew the history and appreciated the history, you would never call this game boring, too long, or even promote it's demise in any shape or form for our kids.  We were viewed as too "uncivilized"( my word) to play with them.  I, for one, believe baseball is here to stay, and yes, even in the black community.  I have to admit, I had my doubts but after seeing some of the LL teams that have grown to national prominence as a result of the Urban Baseball Leagues initiatives around the country, my vision and my faith has been restored.  I mean, anytime you have a LL that's been around since 1971 and due to some major efforts (push), (emphasis), or whatever you want to call it, they are now contending to make it to the LLWS Finals.  Simply amazing if you ask me.  LL Baseball is truly a community sport with specific boundaries that doesn't cross certain tracks.  when you provide the resources, money and time, things like this happens.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/feature/african-american-baseball/

Second, as a Little Leaguer myself, I have my own Jackie Robinson story.  No, no, no; not the ridicule and hate that he suffered but being from a small town, I never got to play the game until I was 9-years old when segregation ended.  I played in the American Legion Baseball Little League.  We only had 4-teams.  The "FARMERS", GASERS, LOGGERS, and MERCHANTS.  I played on the Gasers team and yep, you guessed it.  The owner of the only hometown Gas Station was the coach.  Those days of being out there on that field holds some of the best memories of my life.  I went on to play Babe Ruth and was really, really good at the game but for some reason, I got to High School and there was that old stereotype starring me in the face again (not wanting us to play wih them-so I chickened out) and never tried out for the team until my Junior year.   So, I only played the last 2-years of High School baseball with no near mention of a Scholarship to play in college.

Thirdly, the real truth will come to light after LL.  The game gets much more difficult, much more complicated.  Not only does the rules change but the dimensions, sizes, lengths, and distances change as well.   Being a former Youth BB Coach, it discourages some kids.  At 12 & 13, you may have been able to knock one out of the park at will but when the field changes at an older age, you can't do it anymore and it's almost like starting over.  Relearning how to hit, relearning how to run the bases, cover more ground in the field, and how to strengthen your arm for much longer throws, etc, etc.  You don't like having to work so hard.  And believe me it takes work.  I will take an Athlete who can field 100-ground balls over an Athlete running multiple 100-yard dashes any day.  When was the last time some of you have spent time in a batting cage.  I try to go at least once a month.  Yes, there's still something about being able to hit a fastball.  I start at 60-70 but before I'm done, I try 80.  If I hit it only once, yep, I claim that I still got it.

To close, Ms. MyTe, who absolutely detest the game of baseball has been watching the LLWS and is loving it to LIFE.  Needless to say, I have somewhat found the formula to get her to watch and attend some games.  #GOTIDES

BTW, Baseball is difficult and much more of a "thinking man's game" than any other sport.  As a hitter, you are going up against 9-other players and you have to figure out how to adjust to each of their positions, not to even mention what pitch is thrown at you, to determine how hard and where you are going to put the ball in play.  The figure of 30% is used because on an average only 30% of the time any one player will be able to put a baseball in play and beat 9-other players.  When on defense, as I mentioned, there are 9-positions.  You not only have to think of the batter that is preparing to hit the ball your way, but you have to know not only what you are going to do if it is hit your way but also what to do if it is hit to either one of the other players.  This is called "Situational Baseball" and every player have specific assignments that could range from 1-9.  this is why I love the game so much.  I consider myself a "BIG TIME" thinker.  And that aspect of the game is what gives me "goosebumps".

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:13:19 PM by MyTeVyKn »
ECSU-TO LIVE IS TO LEARN...
http://www.ecsu.edu/index.cfm
http://www.ecsuvikings.com/
http://www.ecsu.edu/academics/department/visual-performing-arts/index.html

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »
MyTeVyKn
thank you for that.  Unfortunately, you will never convince some of these people.  ::)
I'm watching a game right now on the MLB network.

Do you get that channel? 

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

since when does your hands and eyes make you "athletic"?  

.......when you have to hit a pitch thrown by a major league pitcher. Your legs come into play after you hit the ball.  But you know that, right?

UPDATE  how could I forget BOXING for use of hands.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:14:41 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
reduce the strike zone?   :lmao:

I thought you wanted to speed up the game?  that would only increase walking.

since when does your hands and eyes make you "athletic"?  hands and eyes don't win 100 meter sprints, legs do!  you mean to tell me you think someone who uses their hands and eyes extremely well is athletic?  dude, pub-leeeze.

and, by reducing the strike zone, doesn't necessarily mean walking a lot.  you can only walk a team 4 times before they score a run without hitting the ball.  pitchers are not gonna let that happen.  pitchers would rather make you "earn" your runs than just give them to you for free.  no pitcher is gonna intentionally walk 3 or 4 guys in a row.  reducing the strike zone will make the game more about "defense" than pitching because there would be many more hits to defend than now.  right now, an out fielder could literally eat a pizza in left field and not miss a beat.  reducing the strike zone would put an end to that because the hits would be coming far more frequently.

i would also place limits on how many times a manager or teammate can walk onto the field to talk to his pitcher.  i'd give each team a maximum of maybe 3 or 4 "timeouts" per game, otherwise they can't walk onto the field and stop the game whenever they feel like it.  you could also place a time limit on the time between each pitch, sorta like the nfl's play clock or the nba's shot clock.

there's a lot of changes that could speed up the pace and increase scoring in baseball.  but baseball is too "conservative" and too much influenced by "tradition" to make those changes.  change the rules and make the game more entertaining and more action oriented...

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points.

and, by reducing the strike zone, doesn't necessarily mean walking a lot.  you can only walk a team 4 times before they score a run without hitting the ball.  pitchers are not gonna let that happen.  pitchers would rather make you "earn" your runs than just give them to you for free.  no pitcher is gonna intentionally walk 3 or 4 guys in a row.  reducing the strike zone will make the game more about "defense" than pitching because there would be many more hits to defend than now.

Reducing the strike zone will make it harder to throw strikes.  Which means you will get more walks.  You are right about the intentional walks.  The problem with the smaller strike zone is a batter with a good eye will wait on the walk if he doesn't get his pitch.  That will make the game less about defense.

i would also place limits on how many times a manager or teammate can walk onto the field to talk to his pitcher.  i'd give each team a maximum of maybe 3 or 4 "timeouts" per game, otherwise they can't walk onto the field and stop the game whenever they feel like it.  you could also place a time limit on the time between each pitch, sorta like the nfl's play clock or the nba's shot clock.

Umpires actually do a good job on the timeouts at the mound.  Batters slow the game up even more.  Batters can step out the box after every pitch and clean their spikes, stretch, pick their nose (I saw a kid do that in Little League), etc. 

there's a lot of changes that could speed up the pace and increase scoring in baseball.  but baseball is too "conservative" and too much influenced by "tradition" to make those changes.  change the rules and make the game more entertaining and more action oriented..

I agree with that.  The problem with MLB is TV and radio.  They have a certain amount of ads that have to run between at-bats.  That part is not going to change anytime soon.  It is even creeping into MiLB as well. It now takes around two hours to play a MiLB game.  This is because of the radio and TV sponsors.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Y'all gonna keep pushing these stereotypes to explain why black kids don't play or stick with baseball, huh?

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
During a week's time, a MLB team can play 5 games.  I and other baseball fans can enjoy our favorite teams over and over again.  Can't say that about the NFL.  One and done.  How many games does an NBA team play over a 7 day stretch? Three?

Offline MyTeVyKn

• Assistant GM
  • "Keep That Viking Pride Dream Alive..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
MyTeVyKn
thank you for that.  Unfortunately, you will never convince some of these people.  ::)
I'm watching a game right now on the MLB network.

Do you get that channel?  

You're welcome MG and Yes, I do.  Some folk just don't know that the work you have to put in really is hard work to play the game of baseball.  This is the very reason why Bo Jackson, "Neon Deon" Sanders, and to a lesser degree Michael Jordan were such phenomenal athletes when they played this game, football, and basketball on it's highest level.  I was really hoping that Russell Wilson would hang tough and join there ranks but its probably best that he didn't as he may not have wound up to be the QB that made history beating Peyton Manning for a SBC.

Anyway, the work ethic it takes to play this game is just like life.  As I mentioned earlier the rules, sizes, and dimensions keep changing.  So, you either put in the work to stay in the game or you turn to another sport with more glitter and glamour.  
ECSU-TO LIVE IS TO LEARN...
http://www.ecsu.edu/index.cfm
http://www.ecsuvikings.com/
http://www.ecsu.edu/academics/department/visual-performing-arts/index.html

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square