News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Can Baseball Win Back the African-American Community?  (Read 5341 times)

Offline PharoahNupe94

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Can Baseball Win Back the African-American Community?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »
Those people that say baseball is boring don't know and/or have never played the game.  Also, you have to think in baseball.  That is probably too much for those people.

:o
WTF are you talking about?  :shrug:
You have to think in all sports.........I think you have to think more in football.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
Those people that say baseball is boring don't know and/or have never played the game.  Also, you have to think in baseball.  That is probably too much for those people.

You have to think in all sports.........I think you have to think more in football.

You think more in baseball.  You have more time to think in baseball.  In football most adjustments are done when the offense or defense leaves the field.  In baseball adjustments can be made every pitch. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
^^
I take it you never played organized baseball growing up?  You don't have much time at the plate to decide to swing or not.

To be quite honest, your posts on this thread are inanely and ignorantly devoid of logic. Not sure if you're being sincere or inflammatory. So obviously, using your logic, one would only sweat at a baseball game, not basketball or football.

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 01:34:09 PM »
Baseball will be flooded with more black athletes when the collective sees an incentive to push our best athletes toward the sport. Right now there is none. Additionally, communities, towns, schools and states don't get a financial windfall from baseball success.

There are entire communities, especially the business community, that rely on the presence of the football or basketball team, which normally means acquiring the best black athletes to garner that presence.

Why push a kid to baseball when his success will only be marginal as it relates to the benefits his community, school, etc. gets?

We don't define our hoods, schools and ourselves through the successes and failures of a baseball team or individual players. We don't value them the same.

Bottom line there isn't anything it in for anyone else as to why our best athletes don't play baseball in large numbers beyond the youth level.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
Too many boys in single family homes, huh? So why are they playing football and basketball then?

Basketball is indoor.  The weather is cooler in football.  The mothers won't have to sweat their weaves out for those sports.

I grew up playing cricket, which has tons more "Thinking"  or strategy in both bowling and batting than baseball, and I can still say baseball is more boring in both playing and watching.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
It's too boring. It may have been popular before add/ADHD took over, but it can't work today.

NFL is boring too. NBA gives blacks the most bang for buck in entertainment and representation.

Major League Baseball is boring as a TV product. One) It has way too many games in a season (162) compare to others pro leagues NBA (82), NHL (82), NFL (16).  Two) A sport without any time constraits is hard to market to TV execuctives  to reach an younger audience. Three) MLB do not market to have their stars well.   

Even as a spectator sport it is boring. Watch any baseball game on TV on any given day and look at the people in the crowd. The Atlanta braves are playing right now in Los Angeles. Its 1:41 atlanta time(10:21 LA Time). Watching the crowd there most people are on phones/looking at papers and eating. Nobody up yelling like you would see at a football or Cricket match.

Also what the hell is up with these times? Who can afford, or even have the schedule, to go to a baseball game at 1 o clock on a bloody thursday? :lol: This sport was made for people to follow on radio's at their desk as they waste time at work it seems.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »
NO.  BASEBALL IS BORING TO WATCH ON TV BUT SO MUCH FUN TO ACTUALLY PLAY OR ATTEND THE BALLPARK.   I CAN COUNT THE NUMER OF TIMES I HAVE ACTUALLY WATCHED NINE INNINGS ON TV.  FOR ME BASBALL ON TV IS THE BEST CURE FOR INSOMNIA.  MOST PEOPLE TODAY, OF ALL RACES LIKE SPORTS WITH A LITTLE MORE CONSISTENT ACTION.  :popcorn:
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
The money in baseball is hard to ignore. I know MLB had initiatives to increase Black attendance. I also think the youth academies are still in operation.

Few teams have Blacks who are the "face" of franchises. After Jeter retires Mike Trout will become the face of the league. I think stars like McCurthcin and other need to be highlighted more.

Offline PharoahNupe94

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »

You think more in baseball.  You have more time to think in baseball.  In football most adjustments are done when the offense or defense leaves the field.  In baseball adjustments can be made every pitch. 

What about in football when the QB make changes at the line of scrimmage then LB make adjustments to the defense.  :shrug: :lol:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »

What about in football when the QB make changes at the line of scrimmage then LB make adjustments to the defense.  :shrug: :lol:

To be fair the QB has a coach on the sidelines giving him information about the defense formation. He even has 2 or 3 coaches up in the booths way above all action hat can see everything giving them information too. He also gets to regroup after every play.

The most intelligence comes in a soccer midfield having to break down a defense with no outside help, or in Tennis where you cant get coaching during the match.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
Correction this braves game is downtown.

Full of white people.

Offline 90Aggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
I find that the pace in professional baseball games is pretty slow.  I've thought of them as boring in my younger days, but I recently went to a pro game and I enjoyed it, so I wouldn't call it boring now, just slow.

I enjoy minor league games much more as they tend to move faster and they seem to crank out the hits more often. 

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
It's Ricky Weeks, not Richie

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 08:16:46 PM »
Too many boys in single family homes, huh? So why are they playing football and basketball then?

Basketball is indoor.  The weather is cooler in football.  The mothers won't have to sweat their weaves out for those sports.

I grew up playing cricket, which has tons more "Thinking"  or strategy in both bowling and batting than baseball, and I can still say baseball is more boring in both playing and watching.

you probably suffer from ADHD.  Baseball is not boring.  You just need to "see" something moving constantly to satisfy your ADHD.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
The new commissioner will have have to address game length at some point or face losing a generation of fans.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News