News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: FVSU does poor marketing in Sports  (Read 1938 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: FVSU does poor marketing in Sports
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
Do you all think attendance is down overall at ALL of OUR schools? Are our schools now really competing with other options for entertainment, specifically among the college crowd and alumni and locals?

Are our schools now really competing with other options for entertainment, specifically among the college crowd and alumni and locals?  Yes sir.  The problem is HBCUs are doing nothing to compete except cry 'woe is us.'
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »
Yogi, all you did was post the typical excuses.  There are minor league sports teams in markets a lot smaller than Fort Valley with larger staffs making money.  The reason why is they give their fans a great gameday experience.  That experience has nothing to do with the band and the team.  

Okay, this right here clearly personifies you as a complete and total idiot if you believe in that comparison. There is nothing smaller than an HBCU market and trying to sell to the masses. Then you confirmed my response with the "larger staffs" to facilitate and advertise to make money. How else are you going to make this happen? One person can't do it all.

Ram55, as VG stated, WINNING AT FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY DOES PUT BUTTS IN THE SEATS. Alumni and fans do not wish to attend the games to see poor and inept coaching when they can go see better coaching from a pop warner team. Historically, we've always averaged 7,000 fans or more depending on the opponent outside of homecoming and the "Classic". The home and partial visitors side would be filled with Wildcats. Now, me personally, I have no interest in entertaining this mockery of Wildcat football despite the travesty that our student-athletes are having to endure.

Que82, that Grape Ape can buy an entire farm cut up and cook his own sammiches with that amount of money in Middle Georgia.   >:(

that's all...  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:47:27 PM by thatd@mnYOGI »

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
As Michael Jackson so eloquently sang....."you are not alone"

[img width=132 height=200]https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67371432_10156326345266884_1713769312054935552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlfdZ935sl6FE5MZj_9zJ_1NUIg_F99ny8wv6p9o2iM8HzSKv6gn5rTxESyOfGqrv0&_nc_ht=s

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »
I agree Ram55 with your statement. We played FAMU, a few years ago. That was a great game. Atmosphere, game, the rivalry feel, all was great. Those are the types of games that generate people to games, and more so, money. But the following year we played Delta State or Valdosta State. We should play games like those that will bring people and exposure..... Tailgating is a big avenue in people gathering outside the games, but that's at all football games; however, the issue is, if schools like Mercer can pack the stands and tailgate, then we should be able to do it too. The game to Kansas last year was the most ridiculous move. Therefore, we do give the PWCs our money for a little of nothing..... And Valley girl, just like you, I too have attended those games in the early 90s and 2000, but lets not forget the stadium was the size of a high school then. There are no excuses why we shouldn't fill those seats. Even if deals are made with the local schools in the area, and they give a few away each game, the parents will bring them. Hell, it's not like you are losing out. Our HBCUs, well FVSU, hands are so tightly closed, that we aren't allowing anything to come in, for fear we might lose something. Give out T-shirts, to everyone or a free drink or food item, be creative. I'm sure that's what Mercer did or other schools that have good attendance. Ticket pricing, some say are high, some say are low, in terms of cost. UGA tickets are around $70.00 and up, while Valdosta State are only $10.00 or so. What I am saying is that we, FVSU, have to find that market and tap into it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:57:04 PM by #1wildcatfan »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »
Yogi, all you did was post the typical excuses.  There are minor league sports teams in markets a lot smaller than Fort Valley with larger staffs making money.  The reason why is they give their fans a great gameday experience.  That experience has nothing to do with the band and the team.  

Okay, this right here clearly personifies you as a complete and total idiot if you believe in that comparison. There is nothing smaller than an HBCU market and trying to sell to the masses. Then you confirmed my response with the "larger staffs" to facilitate and advertise to make money. How else are you going to make this happen? One person can't do it all.

Ram55, as VG stated, WINNING AT FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY DOES PUT BUTTS IN THE SEATS. Alumni and fans do not wish to attend the games to see poor and inept coaching when they can go see better coaching from a pop warner team. Historically, we've always averaged 7,000 fans or more depending on the opponent outside of homecoming and the "Classic". The home and partial visitors side would be filled with Wildcats. Now, me personally, I have no interest in entertaining this mockery of Wildcat football despite the travesty that our student-athletes are having to endure.

Que82, that Grape Ape can buy an entire farm cut up and cook his own sammiches with that amount of money in Middle Georgia.   >:(

that's all...  

It's obvious you have never worked in a minor league front office.  You should have a talk with the Bluefield Blue Jays.  How about the Princeton Rays?  Those teams have a staff that gets money for the team.  Gets the sponsors.  And they operate in the black. 

The bottom line is it can be done.  It won't get done with only the AD in a position to generate revenue for the athletic department.  It takes a staff.  When HBCUs realize that our athletic departments will be able to generate revenue.  You definitely won't have to depend on the fans of your competition filling your seats.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
Same topic every year .... nothing gets done about it.

I'm over it

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
We played FAMU in Tallahassee - you know we will go on the road at the drop of the hat, especially for a "sexy" opponent.  We have always been like that.   That was about playing FAMU.     We lost on a fluke play and proceeded to end the season 2 and damn 11.   :no:

And why does the size of the stadium matter if you had more people in the smaller stadium than you do in the larger one  :shrug:   We aren't talking perception - we are talking actual numbers.  

The stadium size might change, but the numbers don't.  

I have already stated that we can do a better job of marketing.  However, giving out free t shirts and cups might get them there, but it won't keep 'em coming back.  Crowd excitement plays into the game day atmosphere.  I don't know about you, but I'm not excited seeing this dude run the same damn play every down - it didn't work in the first half and it ain't gonna work in the second half.

The majority of the fan base is OVER Pittman - until they remedy that situation or he miraculously gains some coaching skills that propel us to contenders, you can give out food, drinks, t shirts, key chains, and discounts - they will show up for the free sh@t and leave because there is nothing there that would make them want to stay.  

And We already have FVSU preview days, military appreciation days, high school days, etc.  All of it works together - marketing strategies are more effective when you put a competitive product on the field.  
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
My point in mentioning stadium size refers to number in attendance. It's easier to fill a smaller stadium, but if other schools, can fill a stadium our size week after week, why can't we? Though I understand that Mercer's stadium is a tad bit smaller, but we don't even meet their attendance capacity..... In regards to product on the field and coaching staff, that cost money, which isn't being brought in. So with that being said, generate more money, you will receive more money for a better staff. That's our problem, we keep making excuses, and not coming up with ways to make things happen.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Yep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »

I'm over it

So true....and one of many... still...maybe we will get it right one day?  :blush:

Online Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »

I'm over it

One things for sure, if we don't talk about it things will never change. The fact that FVSU and others fans care enough to keep talking about it shows that we care what happens to our schools. The reason we are having these types of problems is because we don't talk enough. FVSU is one of the top four schools in football in their conference and their fans wanting to be better is the reason why.

Good job FVSU, keep up the talk... just don't bring those butts to WSSU, or you will have a whole new set of problems to worry about.  :lol:

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
Talk without action isn't doing anyone any good. We need people who can connect with our alumni and help them to buy in

Need plans with benchmarks and actions not talk

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
My point in mentioning stadium size refers to number in attendance. It's easier to fill a smaller stadium, but if other schools, can fill a stadium our size week after week, why can't we? Though I understand that Mercer's stadium is a tad bit smaller, but we don't even meet their attendance capacity..... In regards to product on the field and coaching staff, that cost money, which isn't being brought in. So with that being said, generate more money, you will receive more money for a better staff. That's our problem, we keep making excuses, and not coming up with ways to make things happen.

Ok, you're not understanding me.

Wildcat Stadium had a capacity of 7,500 -  it had a constant game attendance of 6,000 to 7,000 people.  

Wildcat Stadium now has a capacity of 10,000 -  the game attendance is 4,000 to 5,000 on a good day.  

The decline in attendance is in correlation to a subpar product.  Has nothing to do with stadium size.  

And with regard to money, it doesn't cost money to teach fundamentals, to have proper clock management, develop a good football scheme, make adjustments, and call the right plays - none of which this man does.  He is getting paid $100,000 to do it and it isn't getting done.  

GA is a hotbed of football talent.   Fort Valley can get talented kids to come and play and they do - that isn't the problem - the problem is when they get there they aren't being taught a damn thing.

Would better equipment, more scholarships, more coaching staff and more money help the program?  Of course it would - but if the man at the helm still has a football IQ of -50 you can only go so far.  

It is a merry go round.

I've already acknowledged the marketing could be better,  so I shall take my leave of this thread.  

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
Here is an example of simple marketing.  DJ Dirt Dawg, & DJ Whiz,& DJ 4th of July, all are FVSU alumni. Each of them at one time were employees of the leading radio station in Middle Ga 97.9 WIBB. I think these guys would've jumped at the chance to do a live remote at old or new Wildcat Stadium during game day Saturday. I recall while traveling to Bragg Memorial Stadium on my radio the local station did a live remote making FVSU vs FAMU sound like the place to be. I thought " why can't we do that? It sounded live & hyped. Is that too much for?

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »
No VN it isn't too much to ask for - get them to the parking lot - how many are gonna come through the turn styles?  Especially if they think the team is sorry?

Good job FVSU, keep up the talk... just don't bring those butts to WSSU, or you will have a whole new set of problems to worry about.  :lol:

I just saw this:  boy ain't nobody scared of you :lol:

I know I said that was my last post.  Sue me ;D

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »
No VN it isn't too much to ask for - get them to the parking lot - how many are gonna come through the turn styles?  Especially if they think the team is sorry?

Good job FVSU, keep up the talk... just don't bring those butts to WSSU, or you will have a whole new set of problems to worry about.  :lol:

I just saw this:  boy ain't nobody scared of you :lol:

I know I said that was my last post.  Sue me ;D
True VG.  Still trying figure who the HC blackmailed to still be on payroll.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News