News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: ‘Forgotten Four’ Tells the Story of Pro Football’s Integration  (Read 483 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrr!
    • View Profile
It’s hard to imagine now that there was ever a time when American football didn’t have a strong pressence of black athletes, but it wasn’t until 1946 that four African-American players broke professional football’s color line. Now a film that’s set to debut next month is out to tell their stories.

The men in question are Kenny Washington, Woody Strode, Marion Motley and Bill Willis , four little-known players who integrated the game one year before Jackie Robinson did the same for Major League Baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers. The film is scheduled to premiere on EPIX on Tuesday, September 23 at 8 p.m. ET,

http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/08/forgotten_four_tells_the_story_of_pro_footballs_integration.html

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Forgotten Four’ Tells the Story of Pro Football’s Integration
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »
You rang a bell Jay. I use to visit my cousins in Cjeveland when I was a child and saw my first big league game at old Municipal Stadium. I was a Cleveland Indian and Browns fan for years because of that. Paul Brown had a lot to do with it, To this day I wonder if there was ever a more punishing running back than Marion Motley.

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Forgotten Four’ Tells the Story of Pro Football’s Integration
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »
It’s hard to imagine now that there was ever a time when American football didn’t have a strong pressence of black athletes, but it wasn’t until 1946 that four African-American players broke professional football’s color line. Now a film that’s set to debut next month is out to tell their stories.

The men in question are Kenny Washington, Woody Strode, Marion Motley and Bill Willis , four little-known players who integrated the game one year before Jackie Robinson did the same for Major League Baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers. The film is scheduled to premiere on EPIX on Tuesday, September 23 at 8 p.m. ET,

http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/08/forgotten_four_tells_the_story_of_pro_footballs_integration.html

The NFL Network did a piece on these gentlemen very interesting story. I cant wait to see the special on EPIX

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News