News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: As Cochran(R) Courts Blacks, Tea Party Vows to Police Polls  (Read 2686 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
HATTIESBURG, Miss. — With only hours before the polls were to close in the Republican Senate runoff here, Senator Thad Cochran’s campaign was still reaching out to traditional black Democrats in his effort to defeat his Tea Party-backed opponent, State Senator Chris McDaniel. But turnout in African-American precincts appeared to be low, and McDaniel supporters were optimistic.

The hard feelings generated by the race were also in evidence, with both conservative groups and the N.A.A.C.P. sending out poll watchers to look for what they considered to be fraud or intimidation. The United States Justice Department also said that it was “aware of concerns about voter intimidation and is monitoring the situation.”

In downtown Hattiesburg, Miss., a trickle of Democratic voters filtered out of the Court Street United Methodist Church on Tuesday afternoon, saying they had voted for a Republican for the first time in their lives — and all of them had voted for Mr. Cochran.

Heath Kleinke, 38, held his 4-month-old baby in his arms and said he wanted her to get a good education in Mississippi, something he believed would be impossible if Mr. McDaniel made good on his proposal to cut federal funding. “The fact that he openly criticizes Thad Cochran for talking to Democrats riled me up,” Mr. Kleinke added.

But McDaniel supporters in Hattiesburg were seeing their own surge. Poll workers at a Masonic Temple here said they were on pace to double turnout from June 3. And outside, many of those voters were ready to vote for Mr. McDaniel.

“Thad, we’ve always voted for him, always supported him, but we just felt like his time is over,” said Voncile Ratcliff, 84. “It bothers me some to have someone up there who doesn’t have as much pull, but me and my husband, we don’t like the pork barrel spending either.”

The McDaniel campaign’s confidence was reflected in its Twitter feed, where Donald Trump, the pundit Mark Levin and the economist and conservative television host Larry Kudlow sent in messages of support.

Mr. McDaniel himself lashed out at the establishment Republicans who have been solidly behind Mr. Cochran, especially the family dynasty led by former Gov. Haley Barbour. “This Senate seat does not belong to Haley Barbour,” Mr. McDaniel said in a Twitter message. “It belongs to the people of Mississippi!”

“The permanent political class is lashing out with scare tactics and fear mongering because their grasp on power is being threatened,” he said.

Mr. McDaniel narrowly edged Mr. Cochran in the June 3 primary but fell a few thousand votes short of the majority he needed to claim the Senate nomination. If he wins on Tuesday night, he will be the first Senate candidate in Mississippi to defeat an incumbent from his own party since 1942.

Mr. Cochran’s chances may depend on the turnout in Democratic precincts, especially in black precincts, but Democratic Party leaders were encouraging those voters to stay home. Mississippi has no voter registration, and anyone who had not voted in the Democratic primary could vote in the Republican runoff on Tuesday.

Rickey Cole, the chairman of the Mississippi Democratic Party, sent out emails and made phone calls reminding Democrats that they have a runoff in the Third Congressional District, in southeast Mississippi, and encouraged them to stay out of the Republican primary.

“In Mississippi, we basically establish what party we’re from based on voting in a primary,” Mr. Cole said, adding, “We’ve reminded our voters that the Republican primary is for Republican voters.”

Mr. Cole added that, while it was still early, he had not heard of a substantial number of Democrats voting in the Republican primary, but that about 10,000 voters had turned out for the congressional primary. (The winner will face a Republican incumbent.)

The national Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is neither encouraging nor discouraging Democrats from voting in the Republican primary. “We’re letting the Republicans fight it out,” said Justin Barasky, the committee’s national press secretary.

Money has poured into Mississippi from conservative groups supporting Mr. McDaniel like the Senate Conservatives Fund, the Club for Growth and FreedomWorks.

Standing behind Mr. Cochran are the money and muscle of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and every Republican in the Mississippi congressional delegation, as well as the governor and the lieutenant governor. Senator John McCain of Arizona is stumping for Mr. Cochran, but his vice-presidential running mate from 2008, former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, has thrown in for Mr. McDaniel, blasting the Republican establishment in her broadsides on his behalf.

Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and the onetime game show host Chuck Woolery have also campaigned for Mr. McDaniel, while Brett Favre — the former Super Bowl-winning quarterback, and a Mississippi native — has filmed television commercials backing Mr. Cochran.

Establishment Republicans had hoped to make Mississippi the Tea Party’s Waterloo — their last best chance this year to defeat a big-name Republican incumbent. But with the surprise defeat of Representative Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, in Virginia two weeks ago, many in the Tea Party’s ranks believe the results in Mississippi will lead to other victories.

“They just thought Virginia was a big deal,” Mr. McDaniel told supporters on Monday night. “This, this is a big deal.”

If Mr. McDaniel prevails in a tide of Tea Party support and anti-incumbent anger, it will end a congressional career that began in 1973. Many Mississippians say they still value their powerful representation in Washington, and if Republicans take control of the Senate in November, Mr. Cochran would lead the Senate Appropriations Committee.

“Someone sort of put it to me this way, and I think this is true: If you send Senator Cochran back to Washington, you send someone who has the potential to be in charge of the nation’s checkbook, basically, and who has a great deal of favor with his colleagues and who has a great reputation as a statesman as opposed to someone who has no experience really whatsoever,” said Rachel Waide, 37, a lawyer in Tupelo, Miss.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: As Cochran(R) Courts Blacks, Tea Party Vows to Police Polls
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
How many Black voters, percentage wise, will vote for Cochran in the fall?

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
MORE THAN THE NORMAL goP BLACK VOTE-- HE IS VERY GOOD AT FUNDING  BLACK COLLEGES IN THAT STATE AND SERVICES VITAL TO BLACKS IN THAT STATE.  REMEMBER MISSISSIPPI IS 40% BLACK- THE TEA PARTY WAS STUPID TO ANTAGONIZE THE BLACK VOTE IN THAT STATE .  THAT WAS THEIR DEATH NELL. YOU NEVER WANNA GIVE BLACKS SOMETHING TO VOTE AGAINST- THEY WILL TURN OUT IN DROVES. 

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
Cochran 's robo calls to blacks were saying  " The tea party does not like you and they hate the POTUS cause he is black".

Offline tusmse

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
    • http://inside boeing
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
Cochran 's robo calls to blacks were saying  " The tea party does not like you and they hate the POTUS cause he is black".

He was correct.  The TEA Party does not fool me one bit.

I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
I wonder where the senator stands on the Voting Rights Act and the U.S. Supreme Court.  Remember how southern republicans felt about its renewal several years ago.

Someone made very interesting points on another message board.

----------

www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?117707-Cochran-Asking-Blacks-to-Rescue-Him-in-Republican-Primary/page2

I know the timeframe between the elections was short, but I really wish Democrats and the Black community in general would've done more to leverage their support for Cochran into more tangible promises. There were 3 plausible nominees for Senate - McDaniel, Cochran and Childers. Out of that bunch, I thought Childers was the best candidate if you're black and a democrat. McDaniel was by far the weaker of the general election candidates. There's no way McDaniel would've received Cochran's endorsement after that nursing home stunt and at least a portion of the state republican establishment would've stayed on the sidelines for the general election. Childers had a shot.A long-shot to be sure but that's a lot better than no-shot.

In my opinion, we would've been better off sitting out the republican primary and saving our ammunition for the general election. Afterall, when Cochran wins, he's still going to the same Washington republican party that's now all about obstructing the President. He's a part of that system. 99% of the things Cochran touted happened prior to 2008. This is a very different republican party in Washington. At this point if you're a Democrat and you have a chance at a deep-red Senate seat like Mississippi, you take it.

Online Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
Can we please hear from those who said:

- Blacks won't vote for Republicans.
- Blacks are too dumb to manipulate the electoral process
- Blacks don't vote their interests
- Blacks vote Dem "just because"
- ETC, ETC

We'll wait right here!

BUT....I know we won't hear from them because when - long ago - on this site, a "similar"* situation was described they fell silent.

O0

*That situation was when Black Dems in Maryland DESERTED Kennedy-Townsend in her run for governor and voted for a Republican.  She lost and the Repub won in a heavily Dem state.  Had it not been for that action, most folks would never have heard of Mike Tyson's brother-in-law:.....Michael Steele. (He was Lt. Gov.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:16:17 PM by Bison66 »

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »

- ETC, ETC

We'll wait right here!

BUT....I know we won't hear from them because when - long ago - on this site, a "similar"* situation was described they fell silent.

O0

*That situation was when Black Dems in Maryland DESERTED Kennedy-Townson in her run for governor and voted for a Republican.  She lost and the Repub won in a heavily Dem state.  Had it not been for that action, most folks would never have heard of Mike Tyson's brother-in-law:.....Michael Steele.

A VERY ASTUTE AND ACCURATE OBSERVATION.  AFRICAN-AMERICANS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER GROUP WILL VOTE WHAT IS IN THEIR BEST INTEREST.  THE TEA PARTY IS CLEARLY NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS.  :nod:
2X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2019 & 2020

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

- ETC, ETC

We'll wait right here!

O0

*That situation was when Black Dems in Maryland DESERTED Kennedy-Townson in her run for governor and voted for a Republican.  She lost and the Repub won in a heavily Dem state.  Had it not been for that action, most folks would never have heard of Mike Tyson's brother-in-law:.....Michael Steele.

A VERY ASTUTE AND ACCURATE OBSERVATION.  AFRICAN-AMERICANS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER GROUP WILL VOTE WHAT IS IN THEIR BEST INTEREST.  THE TEA PARTY IS CLEARLY NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS.  :nod:

You K----s are laughable.

Online Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »
Got nothing to dispute the points made, do you, Oldsport?

That's why you and y04 keep running away from threads when confronted with facts:

Examples:
1)  WHY BLACK AMERICANS SHOULD VOTE REPUBLICAN
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,89796.0.html

2) 
But, hey, set us and the record straight, Oldsport, and tell us that you accept as accurate the scientific discoveries showing that it was African people - who before the white people you adore - developed the FIRST civilizations.

(You know, don't you Mr. Cut and Paste, imitation
takes less initiative and intelligence than creativity?)

This thread of 21 pages is full of information about the achievements of African/Black people.  Why not try reading and learning something?  For a change.

So, acknowledge the science and we can move on.[/size]
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,68491.msg735385.html#msg735385

3) 
Oldsport,
You've had many months to come up with something to counter the economic information that's been posted and THIS CRAP is all you could come up with?

Sad - TRULY SAD!!
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,75893.90.html

4) 
Discussion / Politics / Re: "Sunni? Shia? I thought they were all Muslims!" How a stupid President de....    on: June 16, 2014, 11:47:38 AM
Even the THREAT of facts makes y04 run away!!!
 lmao   lmao

NO SURPRISE!!
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,89707.msg734428.html#msg734428

5a) 
So, Oldsport...

WAS SENDING THE MISSILES AN IMPEACHABLE OFFENSE?   tiptoe
O0

Oldsport?

It's a simple question.

5b) 
OLDSPORT???

OK, what about the combination of selling the missiles AND circumventing the law - The Boland Amendment?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland_Amendment

BUT IF President Obama "circumvented" a law, it would be "violated", Right?
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,89283.msg734262.html#msg734262

6) 
Oldsport,

I will take this moment to remind you that you accused a bunch of us long time ago on MEACFans that we just wanted, you said, to have prisoners released from Gitmo with no regard for American security.

Then, AS USUAL, YOU DISAPPEARED WHEN YOU WERE REMINDED THAT THE ONLY PERSON ACTUALLY RELEASING PRISONERS FROM GITMO WAS PRES George W. BUSH.
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,89318.msg731712.html#msg731712

7) 
Your [y04's]comprehension skills are at minus 7 on a scale from 0 to +10, so let me explain something.

I went out of my way to point out that he did NOT say "-ger", so you can go ahead and disappear again because you will not be able to intelligently answer a simple question: 
What are you referencing when you say I am "hearing things"?

Right now I can definitely hear you scurrying outta here because your muddled thinking has left you looking silly again.
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,89086.msg730246.html#msg730246

8) 
Medved ignores and you are ignorant of the positive economic impact which slavery had on northern finance and industry, including shippping. 

Cotton became the largest export product of the country, not just the South.  That alone brought huge sums of foreign funds into the US economy.  So the entire economy, not just the southern economy benefited.  Ship building, shipping itself, employment, port construction, transportation to ports, interest paid to banks making loans, premiums to insurance companies and on and on.

Tell us what part of that paragraph above do YOU disagree with.
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,75893.msg729891.html#msg729891

9) 
JUST A REMINDER

O0

Hey Oldsport,

After 5 years, do you have anything to say about this positive thing that Black folks did?
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,27611.msg729691.html#msg729691

Those are examples of y'all running away JUST IN THE LAST MONTH!!

Boy, THAT was fun!!   :lmao:
O0

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:31 PM »
Will Black voters in Mississippi leverage their vote?  We will see.

----------

JUNE 25, 2014
Black Voters Saved Thad Cochran and the GOP Establishment. Here's What Republicans Owe Them In Return.
By Alec MacGillis

Chris McDaniel, the arch-conservative state senator who unexpectedly lost his primary runoff election yesterday to unseat Mississippi Senator Thad Cochran, is dead right: The race was decided by non-Republicans. And not just that, but a certain type of non-Republicans taking advantage of the state's open-primary system: African-Americans, or, as McDaniel referred to them in his defiant non-concession speech, “liberal Democrats,” which appears to be the de-racialized code word of choice for some conservative Republicans when talking about black voters.

Or this: There is a movement afoot in Washington to pass new protections for the voting rights of minorities in the wake of the Supreme Court’s overturning of key elements of the Voting Rights Act. Is there any more fitting way for Thad Cochran to express recognition of the role that African-American voters played in his survival—in the face of threats of voter intimidation from his Republican opponent—than to guarantee that black voters in Mississippi and elsewhere are unencumbered in their access to the polls? I don’t recall Cochran speaking up loudly in opposition when Mississippi passed a stringent voter ID law not long ago. Better late than never, Senator.

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »
???.............well, this^^^^^^REALLY IS the $10K question of the day.

Just exactly what DID negroes get and/or were "promised" in exchange for their  support enabling Cochran to win that runoff?

Or did this thing play out in the TRADITIONAL sense of black politics, the preachers received relatively "crumbs" for getting black folks to the polls to vote for Thad Cochran?

Please don't tell me THAT's how this thing played out.  :no:

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 04:06:30 AM »
McDaniel is not happy by the loss (article).  For those who are happy by Cochran's win or McDaniel's loss if you prefer, these may be of interest.

----------

Republicans Are Clearly Happy to Destroy the Country...If They Can Get Political Leverage Out of It
Republican leaders plotted to intentionally sabotage and undermine the Obama presidency at every turn, no matter how much damage it did to the American people.

August 6, 2013

On Sunday’s edition of “Fox News Sunday,” host Chris Wallace asked Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint if the Republican Party was ready to “shoot the hostage” and shut down the federal government over funding Obamacare.

Wallace asked DeMint, “But, Senator, what they say, you know, is you don't take a hostage unless you're prepared to shoot him.  And if you're going to go down this road, are you prepared to shut down the government? Because the Democrats are not going to go along with this.”

Unfortunately, DeMint dodged the question, and didn’t say whether or not Republicans were ready to “shoot the hostage,” in this case, the American people.

-----

On the News With Thom Hartmann: Filibuster Reform Debate Begins in the Senate Today
Tuesday, 22 January 2013 15:58
By Thom Hartmann, The Thom Hartmann Show

Debate in the Senate on filibuster reform begins today – and everyone is watching Majority Leader Harry Reid to see just how bold he is when it comes to ending obstructionism in the upper chamber. At a Democratic caucus meeting today, Harry Reid will make the case for more moderate filibuster reform that cuts down the number of filibusters that the minority can use – but still allows Republicans to require every piece of legislation to get 60 votes or die in the Senate. But Senators Merkley and Udall will again make a case for their much stronger filibuster reform, which will require the Republicans to speak on the floor of the Senate for the entire time they wish to filibuster. That plan just received another supporter – new Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin, who released a statement saying, “We face big challenges that demand effective government action and solutions, not more of the same standstill that has become the status quo in Washington." Let’s hope stronger voices prevail. The filibuster, as it’s been abused by Republicans, must be scrapped, and democratic majority rule must return to the people’s Senate.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:22 AM »
Just exactly what DID negroes get and/or were "promised" in exchange for their  support enabling Cochran to win that runoff?

It is my understanding that Cochran is a friend to HBCUs in the state. Am I wrong here?

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »

:lmao:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule