News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Coach Can Keep Job If He Earns Degree  (Read 846 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Can Keep Job If He Earns Degree
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
Sad but expected.  Since they didn't immediately fire him, I knew it would come to this outcome or something similar.  Given his proclivity to lying, do you assign a freaking proxy to ensure this dude will even complete his correspondence courses and take home quizzes?

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Let me first say I do not agree with him not telling the truth and the chit about u didnt know if you if graduated. Come on man, graduation is something you remember. With that being said I do not think it should always be required for a coach to have a degree (case by case). There are many people who do not have a degree who can still push academics and make sure kids it their degree

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
But DES, how many others on the collegiate staff payroll are non-degreed?  Not buying the hype that a coach is a non-staff position....that doesn't fly with me at all....

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »
But DES, how many others on the collegiate staff payroll are non-degreed?  Not buying the hype that a coach is a non-staff position....that doesn't fly with me at all....

Not every school has a degree as a requirement for coaching position and I think the requirement should be case by case. But I see your point

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

Not every school has a degree as a requirement for coaching position and I think the requirement should be case by case. But I see your point

I would agree with you on a degree not being required for a coach working with a non-school affiliated team.  But a collegiate coach is working at an institution of higher education and with STUDENT athletes.  Certainly academics should be the focus and the example should be set by the coach.   

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »

I would agree with you on a degree not being required for a coach working with a non-school affiliated team.  But a collegiate coach is working at an institution of higher education and with STUDENT athletes.  Certainly academics should be the focus and the example should be set by the coach.   

It's not so much that he does not have a degree.  He lied about having a degree.  That gets people fired. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
He's out that program on the map. Let him get straight and forgive and forget

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:30:51 PM »
Forgive & forget?  I'm sorry, there are many with the credentials and experience to easily fill that role who will never get a sniff at that job. Some of y'all done forgot the struggle so many others have faced and overcame.

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
Forgive & forget?  I'm sorry, there are many with the credentials and experience to easily fill that role who will never get a sniff at that job. Some of y'all done forgot the struggle so many others have faced and overcame.

:nod:
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

It's not so much that he does not have a degree.  He lied about having a degree.  That gets people fired. 
[/quote]

Did George OLeary do the same thing ?

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News