News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Sources: FAMU hires Kellen Winslow  (Read 929 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Sources: FAMU hires Kellen Winslow
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
Pro Football Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr. is the new athletic director at Florida A&M Rattlers, sources said Monday.

Winslow, 56, is expected to be introduced as the school's AD on Wednesday, sources said.

Previously Winslow was vice president for athletics and wellness at Lakeland College in Plymouth, Wis., from August 2012 until resigning on March 29, 2013.

Prior to his eight-month stint at Lakeland College, Winslow was athletic director at Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio, for four years.

Winslow played nine seasons (1979-87) with the San Diego Chargers. He earned All-Pro honors five times and is considered one of greatest tight ends in NFL history.

Winslow graduated rom the University of Missouri - he's also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame -- and later earned a law degree from the University of San Diego in 1993.

At Florida A&M, Winslow replaces Michael Smith, who had been serving as the school's interim athletic director for the past 10 months. Smith had replaced Derek Horne, who was fired last June after three years at the helm.

Offline scstatealum

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • SCSU Doghouse Message Board
Re: Sources: FAMU hires Kellen Winslow
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
rattlers:  are yall good with this move?

How did this guy do when he was at central?

For more on SCSU, join us @ http://scstatedoghouse.proboards.com/

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Seems like a solid hire. I am not sure how successful he was at Central State. But he should be able to raise money and maybe get some good corporate sponsors.

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
Good luck Rattlers.  I don't know how many Marauders felt Winslow did a good job, but my brother wasn't happy with his performance.  Winslow came in with the promise of fundraising and hoping name recognition would help, but it didn't work out.  My brother felt Winslow was using Central State as a stepping stone to add to his resume and was more about himself than the school.

Winslow put in a weight room under the stands at McPherson Stadium as a major accomplishment, but nothing for the athletics department, especially the football program.  As I said earlier, good luck FAMU.
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:03:45 PM »

:no:

Offline TIGER1

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tnstate.edu
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
Interesting!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »

:no:
soflo...............this is only the SECOND week on the job for the new president, so the most IMMEDIATE question that comes to my mind is who actually HIRED Mr. Winslow?  And the next question is that his hiring is based on WHAT?  :shrug:  And if the new president was NOT involve in the hiring process of the new AD, just exactly WHO is in charge on our yard?

As another peep mentioned on this thread.  Just what exactly DID Mr. Winslow accomplish during his stint at  Central State?  I DO like the fact that dude has some prior collegiate athletic administrative experience, but how is his hiring beneficial to FAMU?

Seriously, what is this hiring ALL about? ???

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:54 PM »
Hmmm......
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
 :shrug: :no:

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
TIME WILL TELL
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
The Florida Courier has learned that Florida A&M University President Dr. Elmira Mangum is set to appoint NFL Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr. as the university’s latest athletic director.

(LOOKS LIKE HER DECISION)
http://flcourier.com/2014/04/07/breaking-news-winslow-sr-to-become-famu-athletic-director/

maybe she already had it planned   :nod:

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
For newly hired athletic director Kellen Winslow Sr., the list of big-picture initiatives could include returning the athletic program to the top of the FCS level, eliminating a multi-million-dollar deficit and even upgrading its football stadium.

But Winslow gave a first-things-first response Monday when asked where he’d start his tenure.

“I need to walk through the locker rooms of all the sports,” the former NFL superstar said during an exclusive telephone interview with the Democrat. “But I will tell you, even without walking through the door, my top priority is graduating our student-athletes; whether it’s football, basketball, tennis or any other sport. We’ve got to graduate our student-athletes.”

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20140407/FAMU02/304070025/For-Rattlers-Winslow-quite-catch

Winslow said he and Mangum began talking about the job soon after they were introduced by a mutual friend at the Super Bowl in February. They didn’t begin to talk seriously about his hire until last week, he said.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News