News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: WSSU's Collins drawing interest from MEAC schools...  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Ram-Fan

• Assistant GM
  • Message Board Gangsters For Life
    • View Profile
Re: WSSU's Collins drawing interest from MEAC schools...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
All three schools are closer to Lincoln,  PA.

Hate to see him go, but I understand the move.

Can someone call Rick Duckett?

With the talent we have returning,  redshirts, Transfers and high school signees we're loaded with talent.
NCCU SOL Alum

If your school ever had the nation's longest losing streak, you can't be considered a football power.

Offline MEAC 4 LIFE

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
 :offtopic: Didn't know he made over a 100,000 a yr (107k according to the article). Is he the highest paid MBB coach in the CIAA?
The wisest man knows he doesn‘t have all the answers, while the want to be wise man thinks he knows it all

Offline Pirate12

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »

I'm sure yall can find somebody way, way better. Collins can't coach. Fails to make second half adjustments and trapping zone defense is porous at best.

Offline Rams3

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
If Bobby leaves good luck, thanks for service. I hope we go after Ronald " Bootsy" Woodard should Bobby leaves. Bootsy is an assistant at ECSU.

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »
I think everyone is ignoring the 10,000 lb elephant in the room: In my opinion the current instability within the WSSU athletic department and current administration is leaving the coaches in a tough spot, and forcing them to look elsewhere for stability.
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline Ram-Fan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
I think everyone is ignoring the 10,000 lb elephant in the room: In my opinion the current instability within the WSSU athletic department and current administration is leaving the coaches in a tough spot, and forcing them to look elsewhere for stability.

Huh?

Maynor left for a big payday when Hayes was still AD.

Collins is being courted by D1 schools for a raise and closer to Lincoln,  PA.

Did I miss something else?
NCCU SOL Alum

If your school ever had the nation's longest losing streak, you can't be considered a football power.

aggiejazz

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »
Coach Collins is a good coach and I think he can build a program that will be competitive in the MEAC.  The caveat is, "does he have that extra-something that will get you over the hump to a championship?"  I think he is that coach that who can build a championship team every 4-or-5 years, followed by frustrating seasons until he is able to find another group of players who will mature by their Jr. and Sr. year and challenge for a championship.

Which MEAC university should Collins pick if he has a choice?  I am thinking Coppin State, followed by Delaware State.  Maryland Eastern Shore is just too far in the boonies to recruit players.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:55:57 PM by aggiejazz »

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Huh?

You are right on all parts you said, but you have to admit the instability within the athletic department currently has a little something to do with the coaching exits.

Offline Ram-Fan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »

Huh?

You are right on all parts you said, but you have to admit the instability within the athletic department currently has a little something to do with the coaching exits.

I have faith in Tonia Walker to make a good hire.  She's been at WSSU since 2000.  Former HIU Athlete that has been a Coach and Administrations at WSSU.

Coach Hayes is the man, but he had a good staff helping him.

NCCU SOL Alum

Offline Dallas33

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re: WSSU's Collins drawing interest from MEAC schools...
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
Money and the chance to compete at a higher level are the reasons for leaving.  Wssu was D1 transitional when coach Collins started so it was his intention to coach on that level. I'm thinking being at a school without football is a plus so that eliminates Del state. Also when Dell writes these  type of stories he already knows something. I look for Bobby to announce something after the final four since a majority of coaches and most AD's usually attend, which makes getting deals done easier with everyone in the same location. My gut feeling is  Maryland eastern shore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »

Huh?

Collins is being courted by D1 schools for a raise and closer to Lincoln,  PA.

I have faith in Tonia Walker to make a good hire.  She's been at WSSU since 2000.  Former HIU Athlete that has been a Coach and Administrations at WSSU.

Coach Hayes is the man, but he had a good staff helping him.

Which leads me to my next question: Why haven't they made Walker the acting AD and removed the interim tag? She's more than qualified to handle the position.  :shrug:

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

With the talent we have returning,  redshirts, Transfers and high school signees we're loaded with talent.

After what happened under his watch at Grambling, uhhh NOOOOOOO.

Offline Pirate12

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »

After what happened under his watch at Grambling, uhhh NOOOOOOO.

From what a couple of FSU and WSSU alumni have said to me is this: 1. Duckett did this summer fall out run before he got to Grambling but nobody ended up dead; 2. Duckett was not at practice or on campus when the "fun time in the summer" run occurred; 3. the man is a good coach and would be an even better coach at d2 level based on his years in d1.

If I were WSSU I would go after Stinson at LC, Duckett or the assistant coach already there Wilhelmi (who is doing the recruiting and finding the few players WSSU did get. Wilhelmi might be loyal to Collins but if WSSU offered me the head job I might take it.  My guess is some very good candidates will apply at WSSU for the coaching position. There is a reason Bill Harvey had to sit Collins down. Now, he is a decent coach but is he the best coach even for a MEAC team looking to be a serious contender. Nope, nope, & nope. The one problem we had at HIU with Collins was his inability to get the guys that could outright play.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News