News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Cancer patient who called Obamacare “unaffordable” in conservative ad will  (Read 740 times)

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
I know it was already posted that the story was false, but there is more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/obamacare-attack-ad_n_4937650.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Americans for Prosperity, the conservative advocacy group backed by the Koch brothers, is running Obamacare attack ads featuring a cancer patient who claimed her treatments were "unaffordable" under the new health care law. On Monday, The Detroit News reported that the patient will actually save more than $1,000 a year.

Julie Boonstra says in the anti-Obamacare ad that she was diagnosed with leukemia five years ago, and her health care plan was canceled when Obamacare went into effect.

"Now, the out-of-pocket costs are so high, it's unaffordable," she said.

Before her plan was canceled, Boonstra was paying a $1,100 monthly premium. That's $13,200 a year, without adding out-of-pocket expenses like co-pays and prescription drugs. But under her new plan, the Blue Cross Premier Gold, Boonstra's premiums are down to $571 a month, and out-of-pocket costs are capped at $5,100. That's a maximum annual expense of $11,952 a year.

According to The Detroit News, Boonstra said it “can’t be true” that her new coverage is cheaper than her old.

“I personally do not believe that,” Boonstra said.

The ads set out to target Rep. Gary Peters (D-Mich.), who faces former Michigan Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land (R) in a tight race for Michigan's U.S. Senate seat. Peters voted in favor of the Affordable Care Act.

The billionaire Koch brothers have spent millions in attack ads in Michigan and beyond, prompting Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to take a public stand against their tactics. Reid accused the Kochs of "trying to buy America," and said Republicans are "addicted to Koch."

Boonstra told The Detroit News she had never been politically active before joining the anti-Obamacare campaign. The newspaper reported her ex-husband, Mark Boonstra, had served as chair of the Washtenaw County GOP, and was appointed by Gov. Rick Snyder (R) to the Michigan Court of Appeals in 2012.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:58:48 PM by CU1994 »

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Let us see white folks  would rather pay more money if a black man originated the program--????

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Before her plan was canceled, Boonstra was paying a $1,100 monthly premium. That's $13,200 a year, without adding out-of-pocket expenses like co-pays and prescription drugs. But under her new plan, the Blue Cross Premier Gold, Boonstra's premiums are down to $571 a month, and out-of-pocket costs are capped at $5,100. That's a maximum annual expense of $11,952 a year.

According to The Detroit News, Boonstra said it “can’t be true” that her new coverage is cheaper than her old.

THAT RIGHT THERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH TOO MANY FOLKS!!!

Goes something like this, a person's favorite "news" source tells them something OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  They believe it.

When confronted WITH ACTUAL FACTS - ?GOT ARITHMETIC? - they cannot accept them even, as in this case, where the woman potentially will spend less money than she would have before.

THAT IS TRULY SAD!!!

This case also underlines a difficulty for Dems trying to make people see the benefits: MANY FOLKS DON'T UNDERSTAND THE HEALTH INSURANCE THEY HAD BEFORE!!!!
O0

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu

THAT RIGHT THERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH TOO MANY FOLKS!!!

Goes something like this, a person's favorite "news" source tells them something OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  They believe it.

When confronted WITH ACTUAL FACTS - ?GOT ARITHMETIC? - they cannot accept them even, as in this case, where the woman potentially will spend less money than she would have before.

THAT IS TRULY SAD!!!

This case also underlines a difficulty for Dems trying to make people see the benefits: MANY FOLKS DON'T UNDERSTAND THE HEALTH INSURANCE THEY HAD BEFORE!!!!
O0
[/quote

Absolutely, she refuses to believe what is fact. This lady may suffer or die prematurely because she refuses to face the facts. She's simply biting the hand that feeds her empowering the people who don't give a damn about her.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Absolutely, she refuses to believe what is fact. This lady may suffer or die prematurely because she refuses to face the facts. She's simply biting the hand that feeds her empowering the people who don't give a damn about her.

Indeed!!!

And now false and stupid "pride" will likely prevent her from EVER acknowledging her mistaken PUBLIC statement.

My question is:  From a political campaign perspective, can ObamaCare supporters somehow drive home the point that MANY, MANY of these "horror stories" are FALSE?

O0

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu

My question is:  From a political campaign perspective, can ObamaCare supporters somehow drive home the point that MANY, MANY of these "horror stories" are FALSE?

O0

The administration and Democrats in general are terrible at this. It's like they take it lying down.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile

Oh, I say and I say it again, ya been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule