News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Hopefully, a Big Blow to Colorism....  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
Hopefully, a Big Blow to Colorism....
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
Yes, I am an unabashed optimist.  Why not?

There wasn't a dry eye in the house Thursday when Lupita Nyong'o delivered an emotional speech while accepting her honor for best breakout performance at Essence magazine's seventh annual Women in Hollywood luncheon.

The "12 Years a Slave" star and Oscar nominee for best supporting actress confessed that as a young girl, she had wished her dark-hued skin would become lighter.

"I got teased and taunted about my skin," Nyong'o began, on stage in a ballroom at the Beverly Hills Hotel. "My one prayer to God was that I would wake up lighter skinned. The morning would come and I would be so excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself until I was in front of the mirror because I wanted to see my face first. Every day I would feel the disappointment of being just as dark as the day before."

Nyong'o said she tried to bargain with God by vowing to stop eating sugar cubes and to never lose her school sweater again, if she could only see a change in her skin tone. It wasn't until she discovered Sudanese British supermodel Alek Wek that she began to believe in her own beauty.

"She was dark as night and was in all the magazines and on runways," Nyong'o said. "My complexion had always been an obstacle to overcome. I couldn't believe that people were embracing a woman who looked so much like me as beautiful. It was perplexing and I wanted to reject it because I had begun to enjoy the seduction of inadequacy. But a flower couldn't help but bloom inside of me."

Nyong'o said she would also like to inspire young women.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/28/lupita-nyongo-admits-complexion-obstacle-her-youth_n_4873269.html

There are "dark girls" all around the world who will be inspired to overcome the stupidity of the colorism all around them and "SEE" and appreciate their own BEAUTY.

Just as Lupita was affected by Alek, many more - because it's The Movies - will be positively affected by her.
 :clap:    :clap:    :clap:    :clap:    :clap:    :clap:    :clap:    :clap:    :clap:

Blow by blow:  BLACK, IN ALL ITS MANY SHADES, IS BEAUTIFUL!!
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully, a Big Blow to Colorism....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
From the video:

"the far away gate keepers of beauty"   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
B66................I commented yesterday on one of the various Lupita threads on the Discussion page that, while I was aware she had won the Oscar very early Monday morning, it wasn't until late yesterday afternoon that I saw a video of her acceptance speech for the first time.

In that acceptance speech, Ms. Nyong'o paid tribute to the "spirit" of Patsy, her character in the 12 Years movie.  Reiterating what I stated yesterday, I am the kind of bruh who keeps his emotions close to the vest.  And that's why I was VERY grateful that I was alone when I saw the video.  Man, when she referenced the "spirit" of Patsy, a BIG lump developed in my throat.

Lord, have mercy, this young lady was so graceful and humble in her speech.  :no:  I simply had to pause and take a breath.  I saw 12 Years the weekend after Christmas Day, 2013.  You would have thought by now that I'd be over the HORRORS that were shown in that movie.  But this young lady, Ms. Nyong'o, brought it all back with her soft, elegant phrasing, speaking from the heart.  :'(

God bless this sweet lil lady.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, LUPITA IS A BEAUTIFICAL WOMAN AND ANYONE WHO CAN NOT FATHOM THAT SIMPLE FACT; I SIMPLY PITY THEM.  THEY HAVE LET WHITE PEOPLE DEFINE FOR THEM WHAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND WHAT IS NOT.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, LUPITA IS A BEAUTIFICAL WOMAN AND ANYONE WHO CAN NOT FATHOM THAT SIMPLE FACT; I SIMPLY PITY THEM.  THEY HAVE LET WHITE PEOPLE DEFINE FOR THEM WHAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND WHAT IS NOT.

Yeah...because before white people nobody ever found light skin more attractive than darker skin eh? ::)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »

Yeah...because before white people nobody ever found light skin more attractive than darker skin eh? ::)

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 06:22:16 AM »
Because of her current popularity, her speech brings awareness to the issue but I doubt you'll see a change in how most black folk feel about color. Being color struck is a deep psychological disorder that has been cultivated over hundreds of  years across all the continents. It effects us worse. You can never be in someone's mind but I had this debate with my wife last night. I would be willing to bet that if this beautiful sista decides to have children, they will be bi-racial. You can hear the pain in her voice and I would bet the house that she is determined to make sure her kids don't look like her.

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »
I have found that folks who get mad at you for not being attracted to what they like have the complex issue. If all men liked the same thing all of us would have a carbon copy of the same woman. Some like tall, some like short, some like fat, some like skinny. Get over your own complexes before judging others. Truth be told this chick is just as ugly as Beyonce is. Beyonce is not that attractive. If it wasn't for her shape most men would not notice her.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:04:29 AM by cee dog »
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

"B66" -- THANKS, YOUR COMMENTS WERE NOTED AND APPRECIATED.   FYI, I AM NO LONGER ENTERTAINING FOOLS, ASSHOLES, IDIOTS, LIARS AND CHILDREN ON ONNIDAN.   :no:
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
Because of her current popularity, her speech brings awareness to the issue but I doubt you'll see a change in how most black folk feel about color. Being color struck is a deep psychological disorder that has been cultivated over hundreds of  years across all the continents. It effects us worse. ......

CU1994,

You are quite ^ ^ ^ correct!!!

However, just as Lupita was inspired and a flower bloomed within her because of the recognition of Alek, OTHER DARK SKINNED GIRLS WITHIN REACH OF HOLLYWOOD, THE INTERNET AND MAGAZINES, etc.  (NOT an insignificant number) will be positively affected INTERNALLY.

Like her, THEIR confidence and self-concept will be enhanced.

That impact is more important IMO than the change in OTHERS' attitudes.

BUT,.........even those attitudes will be affected going into the future.  Old heads will die out and younger folks - male and female - will be impacted by the recognition and propagation of Lupita's image as one of BEAUTY.  And she won't be the last one.........

Her speech and more importantly, her PRESENCE are just one more First Down in the struggle for our People's struggle for respect and dignity.  I have long since given up on the idea of some master stroke that will achieve the end goal.  So each small victory becomes part of the larger advance of the struggle.

What do you think?

IT IS DIFFICULT TO LOVE THE TREE IF YOU HATE THE ROOT.

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »
Because of her current popularity, her speech brings awareness to the issue but I doubt you'll see a change in how most black folk feel about color. Being color struck is a deep psychological disorder that has been cultivated over hundreds of  years across all the continents. It effects us worse. ......

CU1994,

You are quite ^ ^ ^ correct!!!

However, just as Lupita was inspired and a flower bloomed within her because of the recognition of Alek, OTHER DARK SKINNED GIRLS WITHIN REACH OF HOLLYWOOD, THE INTERNET AND MAGAZINES, etc.  (NOT an insignificant number) will be positively affected INTERNALLY.

Like her, THEIR confidence and self-concept will be enhanced.

That impact is more important IMO than the change in OTHERS' attitudes.

BUT,.........even those attitudes will be affected going into the future.  Old heads will die out and younger folks - male and female - will be impacted by the recognition and propagation of Lupita's image as one of BEAUTY.  And she won't be the last one.........

Her speech and more importantly, her PRESENCE are just one more First Down in the struggle for our People's struggle for respect and dignity.  I have long since given up on the idea of some master stroke that will achieve the end goal.  So each small victory becomes part of the larger advance of the struggle.

What do you think?

IT IS DIFFICULT TO LOVE THE TREE IF YOU HATE THE ROOT.

O0

Bison,

You make valid points. If popular culture changes and women of all colors regardless of shade or represented more, it will be a positive thing.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
And CU1994, as you said or implied, it will be a long and zig zag process.

It will be a long term project and along the way there will be some required wack-a-mole activity when the ugly head of Colorism rises up!

The good news is that we as a People are ready for it.

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

I'll remember this next time you correct oldsport about "You k____s". Since correcting erroneous statements means a dog has been hit.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

I'll remember this next time you correct oldsport about "You k____s". Since correcting erroneous statements means a dog has been hit.

REALLY???  REALLY???

There's a difference between correcting something and making a bald "assertion" (via a rhetorical question, no less!!!) without any substantiation.  THAT's what YOU call a correction?

Now,.............Do you care to offer evidence for your "assertion?"

Or was it a "faith-based" initiative by you?
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News