News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Hopefully, a Big Blow to Colorism....  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully, a Big Blow to Colorism....
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, LUPITA IS A BEAUTIFICAL WOMAN AND ANYONE WHO CAN NOT FATHOM THAT SIMPLE FACT; I SIMPLY PITY THEM.  THEY HAVE LET WHITE PEOPLE DEFINE FOR THEM WHAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND WHAT IS NOT.

Yeah...because before white people nobody ever found light skin more attractive than darker skin eh? ::)

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

I'll remember this next time you correct oldsport about "You k____s". Since correcting erroneous statements means a dog has been hit.

REALLY???  REALLY???

There's a difference between correcting something and making a bald "assertion" (via a rhetorical question, no less!!!) without any substantiation.  THAT's what YOU call a correction?

Now,.............Do you care to offer evidence for your "assertion?"

Or was it a "faith-based" initiative by you?
O0

The burden of proof is not on me.

It is on slappy above trying to speak down on a plethora of cultures as simply being brainwashed by groups many rarely had any contact with.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 11:49:09 AM »
You're hilarious.

YOU are the one who introduced to this discussion a prehistoric time period prior to the birth of white people.
But now, somehow, OTHERS HAVE THE BURDEN TO DISPROVE YOUR ASSERTION.

Hilarious.

Thank you though for at least not disputing that you did not "correct" anything with a rhetorical question.

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
You're hilarious.

YOU are the one who introduced to this discussion a prehistoric time period prior to the birth of white people.
But now, somehow, OTHERS HAVE THE BURDEN TO DISPROVE YOUR ASSERTION.

Hilarious.

Thank you though for at least not disputing that you did not "correct" anything with a rhetorical question.

O0

When slappy comes in a thread and says culture's preferences are just brainwashing then the burden of proof lays with them.

What happens in other threads has no bearing in the erroneous statement he made in this thread.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, LUPITA IS A BEAUTIFICAL WOMAN AND ANYONE WHO CAN NOT FATHOM THAT SIMPLE FACT; I SIMPLY PITY THEM.  THEY HAVE LET WHITE PEOPLE DEFINE FOR THEM WHAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND WHAT IS NOT.
Is this the post you are referencing, Neymar?
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 04:35:50 AM »
Some background/history on colorism in the US of A:

Origin of Colorism

How did colorism surface? In the United States’ colorism has roots in slavery. That’s because slave-owners typically gave preferential treatment to slaves with fairer complexions. While dark-skinned slaves toiled outdoors in the fields, their light-skinned counterparts usually worked indoors completing domestic tasks that were far less grueling. Why the discrepancy? Slave-owners were partial to light-skinned slaves because they were often family members. Slave-owners frequently engaged in sexual intercourse with slave women, and light-skinned offspring were the telltale signs of these unions. While slave-owners did not officially recognize their mixed-race children as blood, they gave them privileges that dark-skinned slaves did not enjoy. Accordingly, light skin came to be viewed as an asset among the slave community.

Enduring Legacy

After slavery ended in the U.S., colorism didn’t disappear. In black America, those with light-skin received employment opportunities off limits to darker-skinned African Americans. This is why upper-class families in black society were largely light-skinned. Soon light skin and privilege were considered one in the same in the black community, with light skin being the sole criterion for acceptance into the black aristocracy. Upper crust blacks routinely administered the brown paper bag test to determine if fellow blacks were light enough to socialize with...
http://blackthen.com/the-back-story-how-the-brown-paper-bag-carried-the-color-complex-from-slavery-forward/

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
Actor Jesse Williams Discusses Biracial Privileges and Social Justice: ‘Black Americans Are Not Angry. They Are Hurting’

He’s not running away from, or ashamed of, the insight he’s gained as a black activist who is half-white.

...Williams is even aware of how some of his European features, like his blue eyes, open doors for him. He's bringing his social-justice work through those doors and is simultaneously unraveling the idea that his European features are better than any others.

"We are programmed to believe that someone is attractive because they told you that blue eyes are hot. I am not going to participate in that s--t," Williams said. "I aim to do what I can with what I have. And I have my [looks]—you know, European beauty standards give me access to things."

Williams is using all of those experiences and privileges and putting them to work. He works with an advocacy group called the Advancement Project—a group of "social-justice ninjas," as he calls them—that uses social media, the Internet, and art and traveling exhibits to provide a safe space for black people—especially black boys and men—to come together as a village to share information with one another and grow.
www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2015/10/jesse_williams_describes_the_privileges_that_his_biracialness_affords_him.html

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
You think it is bad - here - go to the Domincan republic-those ningas said they came from Indians.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
I'm sure you're right, Ken.  It's bad ALL over.

Latin America has its own versions of denial.  I've learned a lot about it frm my Afro-Panamanian friends since moving here.

All kinds of terms for various shadings of color and hair texture.

I learned a new expression the other day when we were discussing a childhood portrait of Simon "The Liberator" Bolivar showing him with a "frizzy" Afro hair style:

“El color es accidente, pero el pelo no miente.” (Skin color is accidental, but hair texture never lies.)

The movie "The Liberator" about him is quite good.

O0

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:04:13 PM by Bison66 »
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully, a Big Blow to Colorism....Another One!!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
ANOTHER STEP FORWARD!!!

And now we have the highly melanated cast of Black Panther!!!!

Another step forward.  (Had more to say in the Black Panther thread in the General Discussion Forum.)

In this thread I wanted to share an MTV DECODING video take on Colorism in Latin America.

https://www. facebook. com/MTVDecoded/videos/150949195589311/
Link will not display as is.  Please remove spaces after the "dots."

Shows there's still a bunch more work that needs to be done!!!

Will return with my comments.

What say y'all??

O0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:16:17 PM by Bison66 »
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »

Yeah...because before white people nobody ever found light skin more attractive than darker skin eh? ::)

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

I'll remember this next time you correct oldsport about "You k____s". Since correcting erroneous statements means a dog has been hit.

I SEE I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT OF YOU (NEYMAR) AFTER SEEING THIS POST.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:01:05 PM by CIAA-FAN »
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 06:53:50 PM »

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

I SEE I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT OF YOU (NEYMAR) AFTER SEEING THIS POST.

This post is literally years old.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »

A HIT DOG WILL YELP!!!!

S -M - H

O0

This post is literally years old.

...AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED. ::)
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
 :popcorn:

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News