News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: NCCU Band Scholarships  (Read 6263 times)

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
NCCU Band Scholarships
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
Rumor has it that NCCU had over $200,000 in surplus band scholarships.  This was money not given out.  Not used.  If true that could have supported an additional 50 band members or more.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:02:52 PM by 81alphaeagle »

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
Re: NCCU Band Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
I heard that the new Music Department Chairperson passed this information to the NCCU alumni at the January 2014 National Alumni Council meeting.  Why have we been misled to believe that there was no money for band scholarships, travel, uniforms, instruments, etc?

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »
Did the music department freeze it?  Why are people trying to make it so hard for Mr. Reid to be successful?  :shrug:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
Did the music department freeze it?  Why are people trying to make it so hard for Mr. Reid to be successful?  :shrug:
From what I understand, your beloved band director just didn't use the money.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 11:36:34 PM »

It has to be more than that.  Sabotage maybe? :shrug:  He could not have known that money was there. 

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »
Did the music department freeze it?  Why are people trying to make it so hard for Mr. Reid to be successful?  :shrug:

Did the music department freeze it?  Why are people trying to make it so hard for Mr. Reid to be successful?  :shrug:

To Whom If May Concern:

That is a Damn Lie. Who ever has told you all that type of very false information is doing everyone a very unkind disservice.

Why don't you ask the New Music Chair why he is doing so many foolish things that are not moving the total NCCU Music program forward and why morale is at its lowest point in years, with many faculty members and students, within the total music Department, under his current leadership, instead of trying to make the Director of the Marching Band the blame?

The Band Director can not use budgeted funding (including scholarships, travel and equipment repair) without prior approval from the music chair and other senior officials. Why don't you all ask the music Chair and other administrators how that works, especially since they are the ones cutting the Band Director's much needed Budget anyway.

Some of you should have been at the Last NCCU Alumni Council Meeting and you all could have asked the New Music Chair about many of your concerns, rumors you have heard or just how things are suppose to work under the new music chair's management.

The Band Director does not have direct control over his own budget anymore. If he did, things would have been very different, especially regarding Band travel and other functions that the Band needs to do, to grow again.

Maybe many of you needed to ask other questions of concern, such as the current proposal regarding taking away the New Band Room from the Marching Band and making that current facility into a so called "One Stop" Student Registration Center for alleged enrollment services and other non Band Growth Ideas, that is further placing the NCCU Band Program Backwards.

It seems to me that instead of taking away the new Band Room away from the current Marching Band, for a registration Center for more students to stand in line for services is not the answer to that type of enrollment problem. It seems to me and most of the other students that new types of effective on line computer program services would be best to expedite those type of growing needs, regarding better student coordination of admissions, housing, financial aid and class course selection during registration. I just use this one proposal as an example of some things that are driving a lot of folks crazy within the Band program.

Had any of you been at the last Durham Chapter, NCCU Alumni Association Meeting last Thursday, you would have heard that proposal confirmed from the New Provost himself, regarding such unwise (in my personal opinion) ideas that only serves to make the Band program even worse. Why Did the New Provost confirmed that the plan is on the table, is because I asked the question. Same type questions of concern were also asked the Music Chair during the last Alumni Council Meeting. If any of you were there, you would have also heard some of his answers regarding other questions of concern. :no:

Some of you who come on this board, are talking all of this foolishness without much of the facts before you speak. That is very disappointing.  :shrug:

Well my friends, I invite that you all ask the folks in charge, like that new Music Chair and other senior NCCU Administrators, such as the Dean, Music Chair and the Provost and see what they will dare tell you to your face.

I have not heard so much foolishness and false information put out here since some senior administrators put out some wrong information to the Durham newspaper last fall.

Ask the Music Chair who will control the future distribution of any future Marching Band and other student Scholarship Assistance and get back with me with what he tells you. :brickwall:

Folks need to have all of the facts, and back up their hearsay before they put out more false information and rumors out here. That type of mean-spirited foolishness is not fair to our Band Students, who continue to serve NCCU via their membership in the Band.

Someone better start asking the Music Chair and other Administrators where the money is coming from, for the upcoming needed MEAC Tournament Pep Band Travel, Lodging and Food expenditures, if the Band Director is not allegedly using the financial resources for needed Band services.  

I can not believe that folks are saying such foolish things.

Take care!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:34:26 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Some of you should have been at the Last NCCU Alumni Council Meeting and you all could have asked the New Music Chair about many of your concerns, rumors you have heard or just how things are suppose to work under the new music chair's management.

Askia,

Did you attend the January alumni council meeting?  If so did you ask him the questions you posted?   At the last meeting of the Greensboro Chapter of the NCCU Alumni Assoc it was reported by our reps that this was said by the Music Department Chair.  Are you saying that the Music Department Chair lied to the alumni?   ???    :shrug:

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

Askia,

Did you attend the January alumni council meeting?  If so did you ask him the questions you posted?   At the last meeting of the Greensboro Chapter of the NCCU Alumni Assoc it was reported by our reps that this was said by the Music Department Chair.  Are you saying that the Music Department Chair lied to the alumni?   ???    :shrug:

Yes I did and so did other Sound Machine Booster Club Members.

We also asked the Provost about the proposed Removal of the current New Marching Band Room Space, as well, at the Durham Chapter Alumni Meeting last month. He admitted that proposal was on the table, but has only been on the staff for about 3 weeks. Hopefully, the powers that be at NCCU will revisit that current proposal for additional consideration. I really do hope so because the students are very disappointed regarding moving backwards.

As for as the Music Chair being possibly confused and saying different things to different folks, is a matter of interpretation within his own mind, I guess. Who knows?  The only thing that is certain lately, is that Band Funding Goes Nowhere without his (Music Chair) personal approval.

Apparently, he must have been just as confused at your Greensboro Chapter Meeting as were his confused statements to the Durham Sun Newspaper last fall. Bottom line was that the Band did not travel. Yes, strange confusion is more than an understatement since he has been in charge of things so far.  :brickwall: :shrug: :no: :shrug:

Take care!

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
I only read one instance where there was a reduction of expenses for the band.  There appeared to be a 50K reduction operating expenses.  If there are few students from previous years then it would be appropriate for there to be fund left over.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
81alphaeagle

Respectfully: If all of this alleged left-over cash, intended for scholarships were available for Marching Band, Pep Band, Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band, as you claim, from your sources, why hasn't the Music Department Chair released it for distribution to the Band Director for recruitment and other student academic needs within the band?  :brickwall:

As I said before, funding allocation management and approval start from the top down via the Music Chair and other senior Administrators. It is not the Band Director's fault if he requests many funding allocations for scholarships, operations, travel and recruitment and is denied by his senior management and administrators several times over the last few years or so.  :no:

If the amount of Scholarship and operations money is truly available in the budget, and not confused with Title III funds for salaries and other educational mandated use, why hasn't the Music Chair made it available? Remember he (Music Chair) confused some of the Title III salary funding with other mandated use, back in the last fall newspaper article and made it appear to be more of an inflated available funding budget to the Band than it truly was, in my very personal opinion.  :shrug:

It seems to me that the Music Chair is saying so many different things to the Alumni all over the place regarding the Marching Band, as Sloping Hills has claimed. Wouldn't it clear up much of the confusion, if the Music Chair just Invited the Band Director to come along with him, when he is saying those things? Seems simple to me. The Athletics Director invites her Coaching Staff to come along all of the time, to speak with our Alumni. Why won't the Music Chair do the same, when he speaks on such issues?

Take Care!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:34:02 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Why is it that Mr. Reid is having problems getting money to properly opporate a successful band program?  Why are we our worst enemies? :shrug:  I wonder if Mr. Reid start saying what is going on, will he lose his job?  All this finger pointing must stop. 

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »
Askia,

Please read and conprehend what I posted before you reply.  I did not state that the new Music Department char came to our meeting here in Greensboro.  I posted that the reps from Greensboro (who attended the National Council meeting) reported this back to us at our last meeting in February.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:49:21 PM »
Eagle Pride:

That is a very good question. Mr. Reid put the program on the map with a little bit of cooperation, faith and vision.

One would think that an HBCU school, that  is now currently looking for ways to increase more needed positive enrollment, pride and enthusiasm  would look for more ways to increase the band numbers, of the largest student organization on campus.

Current students will become future alumni who will often remember how they were treated by their school administrators when they were students, and some will remember by how they will give back.

Sometimes, the wrong administrators in the wrong place at the wrong time, can destroy what it took 10 years to build, in only a couple of years.

Hopefully, NCCU will get back on the correct page and allow the Band Director to do his job with a little bit of support that he use to get. He has shown that he can do some outstanding things when he gets that support.

I don't know about some people, but that young man who is our Band Director and our Students have my support.

Take Care!

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »
Eagle Pride:

That is a very good question. Mr. Reid put the program on the map with a little bit of cooperation, faith and vision.

One would think that an HBCU school, that  is now currently looking for ways to increase more needed positive enrollment, pride and enthusiasm  would look for more ways to increase the band numbers, of the largest student organization on campus.

Current students will become future alumni who will often remember how they were treated by their school administrators when they were students, and some will remember by how they will give back.

Sometimes, the wrong administrators in the wrong place at the wrong time, can destroy what it took 10 years to build, in only a couple of years.

Hopefully, NCCU will get back on the correct page and allow the Band Director to do his job with a little bit of support that he use to get. He has shown that he can do some outstanding things when he gets that support.

I don't know about some people, but that young man who is our Band Director and our Students have my support.

Take Care!
I know of current students who refuse to be in the band because of current leadership.  First hand knowledge.

What is the budget for the band?  What is it this year compared to previous years? 

If things are going so daym well why have our half-time shows gotten worse since the Rose Bowl?  What is the constant factor?  Rome is gone. 

Please provide us some data.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »
Askia,

Please read and conprehend what I posted before you reply.  I did not state that the new Music Department char came to our meeting here in Greensboro.  I posted that the reps from Greensboro (who attended the National Council meeting) reported this back to us at our last meeting in February.

Sloping Hills

If the Musical Chair had said anything close to saying that there was $200,000 of available Scholarship Money available to the Marching Band that was not being used or words to that affect in that Council Meeting, don't you think the different members of our Sound Machine Booster Club Group would have heard it and questioned him on it.

He spoke on Band Reductions around the country and cited an example of a Marching Band in Florida that was disbanded all together. He spoke on the total Music Department, including the Choir, Jazz Band and other musical ensembles as a total unit, with the hope of having some scholarship assistance. He advised that he would make it a priority to make sure funding would be available for Marching Band trips to NCA&T and the Washington DC area in the future. He advised that the Band Director was doing a good job with the Band. He answered questions regarding future Jazz Band appearances, from those who wanted to have Jazz Band Appearances surrounding some of their Alumni Chapter functions.

The Music Chair was asked about future growth of the Marching Band and reminded that less than 5% of the total Marching Band's membership were volunteer non-music majors students who needed more financial support to continue to be attractive to the Band. He was encouraged to have university faculty members to become more supportive of those students who wanted to play in the band and not discourage those students from not participating.

So, I don't know where this alleged $200,000 of unused Scholarship money for the Marching Band, Pep Band and symphonic and wind symphony Band is coming from, because he said no such thing during his Alumni Council presentation.

Folks need to understand that there is a total difference of amount of music scholarship dollars available, when we are talking about all of the total budgeted musical ensembles and not just the Marching Band.

Perhaps everyone did not understand the total make-up of the Department of music and how the Marching Band - Pep Band and Symphonic Band play in the distribution of funding and budget.

Take care!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:44:29 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News