News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: NCCU Band Scholarships  (Read 6268 times)

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
Re: NCCU Band Scholarships
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:34 AM »
Let me say this again.  Three alumns from Greensboro were at the January 2014 National Alumni Council meeting.  All 3 of them stated that the new Music Department Chairman told the alumni at the meeting that $200,000 was not spent this year on scholarships.  I find it hard to believe that 3 people would misunderstood what he said.  One of these persons is on the BOT.  I would trust his knowledge and access to information more than hersay from members of the band boosters.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 09:14:53 AM »
Sloping Hills

Let me say this again as well. The total Band Budget (Marching Band, Pep Band, Symphonic Band and Wind Symphony) is only a little bit over $200.000 per year for everything, including Scholarships, Operations, Recruitment, Travel, Uniform upkeep and replacement, and Instrument repair and replacement. The Band Director does not have unilateral direct control over how he spends his budget, without direct approval from the Music Chair.

The Music Chair spoke on the total amount of available funding regarding the total music Department and not just the Division of Bands, which is under the control of the Director of Bands.

There are other Musical Ensembles (Not controlled by the Director of Bands) that make up the total Music Department's budget, which includes the Jazz Band Ensembles, Jazz Vocal Ensemble, Jazz Combos, Operatorio Performance Ensemble, Handbell Choir, Guitar Ensemble, Chamber Ensemble, University Choir, Gospel Choir and others.

He spoke of the hope to have scholarship money available to help fund all of the aforementioned Musical Ensembles and not just the Band. He never said what the scholarship amount was, that is allotted directly for the Division of Bands nor did he break down the exact amounts for the other Muisical Ensembles, including the Jazz Band and Jazz Vocal Ensemble , which are not under the control of the Director of Bands.

Again, I did NOT hear the Music Chair speak on any Scholarship money not being spent by the Division of Bands under the control of the Director of Bands, as was alleged in the post via the topic of this thread.  :no: :shrug: :no:

Somehow, folks are getting some things confused and leaving some things out from his aforementioned presentation. Sometimes, people forget that the total Music Department consists of more than just the Marching Band.  :brickwall:  

Take care!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:27:38 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
81, they may have given the music department $200,000 or so, but the department did not allow the band to use it.  Why would Mr. Reid not use the money? :shrug:  Why would he not want to travel to away games? :shrug:  I don't think you understand the protocol Reid has to go through in order to get money for the band.  Seems like everything is going back to the head of the Music Department if you ask me.

Exactly!

Mr. Reid does NOT have any direct control of what he is able to spend on anything without senior Administrative Management approval from the Music Department, since the Band has been move for direct Music Department management supervision, instead of direct Department Management from Student Affairs. That is no secret.

Anyway, the Band Program will find a way!!!

Take care!
I have taken your advice and asked senior level administrators about issues regarding the band.  I will end my participation in this discussion by saying that things are not as they are being presented on this board.  I received confirmation of what I was previously told regarding some issues.

But I did take your advice and ask.  Some of us need to stop blaming higher level academic leaders for current failures.

Take Care.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
81, they may have given the music department $200,000 or so, but the department did not allow the band to use it.  Why would Mr. Reid not use the money? :shrug:  Why would he not want to travel to away games? :shrug:  I don't think you understand the protocol Reid has to go through in order to get money for the band.  Seems like everything is going back to the head of the Music Department if you ask me.

Exactly!

Mr. Reid does NOT have any direct control of what he is able to spend on anything without senior Administrative Management approval from the Music Department, since the Band has been move for direct Music Department management supervision, instead of direct Department Management from Student Affairs. That is no secret.

Take care!
I have taken your advice and asked senior level administrators about issues regarding the band.  I will end my participation in this discussion by saying that things are not as they are being presented on this board.  I received confirmation of what I was previously told regarding some issues.

But I did take your advice and ask.  Some of us need to stop blaming higher level academic leaders for current failures.

Take Care.

Ok.  But remember that we are on the same team.  
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »

Exactly!

Take care!

Take Care.

Ok.  But remember that we are on the same team.  
I whole heartedly agree.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »

Exactly!

Take care!

Take Care.

OK, that is fair.

Take care!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 08:33:18 AM »
If the flagship school of higher education in the state of Tennessee is affected by fiscal issue through reductions in funding for the band, what prevents NCCU from escaping  the same fate. Its everywhere.  AMA you may do more disservice with your knee jerk tirades that end, upon your failures to convince, with scripture quoting ( please don't start laying hands on others)   Stop blaming and pointing fingers.  Where is the  band alumni?  The Chancellor informed us this past fall about  the number of students unable to come back to school last year due to cuts prompting many in attendance to pull out their check books to help.  She later stated that the funds were raised and many of those affected have returned to school for the second semester .  No mention of the band.  I don't blame her because that would not have gone over as well as the same problem within the general student population. Crying WOLF every chance one gets diminishes the effectiveness of your obvious sincerity.   We know there are many issues on the yard bigger than this band thing and being repaired as I write.  Those innuendos stated are not good for NCCU or yourself and those you purport your support.  Our Chancellors plate is full, including your issues, and will be handled in priority relative to urgency affecting our academic mission.    

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
If the flagship school of higher education in the state of Tennessee is affected by fiscal issue through reductions in funding for the band, what prevents NCCU from escaping  the same fate. Its everywhere.  AMA you may do more disservice with your knee jerk tirades that end, upon your failures to convince, with scripture quoting ( please don't start laying hands on others)   Stop blaming and pointing fingers.  Where is the  band alumni?  The Chancellor informed us this past fall about  the number of students unable to come back to school last year due to cuts prompting many in attendance to pull out their check books to help.  She later stated that the funds were raised and many of those affected have returned to school for the second semester .  No mention of the band.  I don't blame her because that would not have gone over as well as the same problem within the general student population. Crying WOLF every chance one gets diminishes the effectiveness of your obvious sincerity.   We know there are many issues on the yard bigger than this band thing and being repaired as I write.  Those innuendos stated are not good for NCCU or yourself and those you purport your support.  Our Chancellors plate is full, including your issues, and will be handled in priority relative to urgency affecting our academic mission.    

Thinkingaboutit

First of all, NCCU is located in the State of North Carolina and not the State of Tennessee. Next, I have a lot of confidence in our new Chancellor. In fact, I talked with her at the Region IV NCCU Alumni Meeting on last Saturday in Fayetteville, NC.

Yes, there are some issues at NCCU and I am sure many of those concerns are getting much needed attention from our Chancellor. Hopefully, the Band will get its needed time soon. Yes, some of those students who needed some financial support to stay or return to school were also some of the members of the Band. So, every little bit helps along the way.

As for my comments regarding the Band, I will continue to offer my personal opinion when the facts are not correct, misleading or rumor.

Take care!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
".........Why would Mr. Reid not use the money?   

Interviewing for band Director at FAMU is a possible reason.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »

Is this what it really is about?  I wonder.  It is time to move on and give him the support that he needs in order to be successful. 

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »

That Does Not Make any Sense because he turned the job down to stay at NCCU.

We all just need to support the Band Program and our students period. For all of you who do, Thank You and God Bless You!

Take care!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 12:01:55 AM »

We all just need to support the Band Program and our students period. For all of you who do, Thank You and God Bless You!

Take care!

I'm speaking in the context that Jorim was focused on leaving NCCU and not recruiting.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »

Take care!

I'm speaking in the context that Jorim was focused on leaving NCCU and not recruiting.

I honestly do not believe that. Here again, it goes back to having enough recruitment money to recruit  quality musicians and enough scholarship money to offer recruits. Folks seem to forget that total recruitment was completely down for last year on all fronts, with one on the smallest freshmen classes admitted into the university in years. Remember, Band Student Scholarships are a long way from full rides. In fact, no where close to the Tuition and Fees (per semester): Undergraduate In-State: $3,450.57 - Undergraduate Out of State: $8,737.07 required to become enrolled nor have I counted the cost for books at about another $500.+ per semester. 

Remember, Band students must come up with most of their college costs via their parents or themselves. Most students at NCCU are on financial aid. When the federal loan credit standards changed last year, it left a lot of students out in the cold and unable to enroll into college, including band students at NCCU as well.

Also, about 95%+ of the students in the band are not music majors in the first place, which also may become a factor in the amount of how much of a small scholarship may be offered after audition to join the band.

So, there are many factors involved, in my personal view.

Take care!

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
The band did a great job supporting the team and cheerleaders during the Norfolk State game.  Way to cheer for those Eagles Sound Machine! :clap:

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 03:26:37 AM »
The band did a great job supporting the team and cheerleaders during the Norfolk State game.  Way to cheer for those Eagles Sound Machine! :clap:

:nod: :clap: :nod:

As always, I am sure our Band Students Thank You For Your Support, Eagle Pride.

God Bless You!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News