News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: NCCU Band Scholarships  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
Re: NCCU Band Scholarships
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
Eagle Pride:

That is a very good question. Mr. Reid put the program on the map with a little bit of cooperation, faith and vision.

One would think that an HBCU school, that  is now currently looking for ways to increase more needed positive enrollment, pride and enthusiasm  would look for more ways to increase the band numbers, of the largest student organization on campus.

Current students will become future alumni who will often remember how they were treated by their school administrators when they were students, and some will remember by how they will give back.

Sometimes, the wrong administrators in the wrong place at the wrong time, can destroy what it took 10 years to build, in only a couple of years.

Hopefully, NCCU will get back on the correct page and allow the Band Director to do his job with a little bit of support that he use to get. He has shown that he can do some outstanding things when he gets that support.

I don't know about some people, but that young man who is our Band Director and our Students have my support.

Take Care!
I know of current students who refuse to be in the band because of current leadership.  First hand knowledge.

What is the budget for the band?  What is it this year compared to previous years?  

If things are going so daym well why have our half-time shows gotten worse since the Rose Bowl?  What is the constant factor?  Rome is gone.  

Please provide us some data.

81alphaeagle

You post all of this rumor foolishness all of the time that does not have merit. Like it or not, if the funds and scholarships are not there, the top quality student musician brass players are not going to play for you. Here again, very simple. If the Band does not travel, students will not want to play for that band. If administrators and non music faculty do not support the students and encourage Band participation, quality numbers drop.

You have just as much right to ask NCCU senior administrators regarding the total numbers as I do, including the Band Director himself. I suggest you ask them how that works. Email, phone calls and direct appointments with administrators are available upon request, to you as anyone else. That Band Room location is at the same place next to the Stadium (for now). The next time you are in town, maybe you should ask the Band Director and other Administrators yourself, since you are unhappy with what I have been saying for the last couple of years or so.

It is what it is for now. The only thing I can do is my little volunteer and financial part and be as supportive as I can, regarding Our Band Students and The Director.

Take Care!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:59:01 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
Eagle Pride:

That is a very good question. Mr. Reid put the program on the map with a little bit of cooperation, faith and vision.

One would think that an HBCU school, that  is now currently looking for ways to increase more needed positive enrollment, pride and enthusiasm  would look for more ways to increase the band numbers, of the largest student organization on campus.

Current students will become future alumni who will often remember how they were treated by their school administrators when they were students, and some will remember by how they will give back.

Sometimes, the wrong administrators in the wrong place at the wrong time, can destroy what it took 10 years to build, in only a couple of years.

Hopefully, NCCU will get back on the correct page and allow the Band Director to do his job with a little bit of support that he use to get. He has shown that he can do some outstanding things when he gets that support.

I don't know about some people, but that young man who is our Band Director and our Students have my support.

Take Care!
I know of current students who refuse to be in the band because of current leadership.  First hand knowledge.

What is the budget for the band?  What is it this year compared to previous years?  

If things are going so daym well why have our half-time shows gotten worse since the Rose Bowl?  What is the constant factor?  Rome is gone.  

Please provide us some data.

81alphaeagle

You post all of this rumor foolishness all of the time that does not have merit. Like it or not, if the funds and scholarships are not there, the top quality student musician brass players are not going to play for you. Here again, very simple. If the Band does not travel, students will not want to play for that band. If administrators and non music faculty do not support the students and encourage Band participation, quality numbers drop.

You have just as much right to ask NCCU senior administrators regarding the total numbers as I do, including the Band Director himself. I suggest you ask them how that works. Email, phone calls and direct appointments with administrators are available upon request, to you as anyone else. That Band Room location is at the same place next to the Stadium (for now). The next time you are in town, maybe you should ask the Band Director and other Administrators yourself, since you are unhappy with what I have been saying for the last couple of years or so.

It is what it is for now. The only thing I can do is my little volunteer and financial part and be as supportive as I can, regarding Our Band Students and The Director.

Take Care!
Why is it that when folks post stuff asking for info, or stating facts that they are aware of you call it foolish?  I know of three current NCCU students that refuse to play in the band. 

Also, when someone disagrees with you or post contrary information, they are lying.  I have not said a daym thing about the location of the past, present or future band room.  All, I know is if the current band leadership continues to not bring in band members, the few that we have left can practice in my living room.

Also, if the information being put out by the folk in the music department is not correct, maybe you should write the Chancellor and tell her to tell the music folk to stop lying.

BTW, if you are satisfied with the current state of affairs of the band so be it. 

Finally, I am still waiting for the band budget from last year that folk you to provide.

Now this is my final statement, no one has posted more rumor about the leadership of the music department and other NCCU personnel than you have.  In your above post, look at the rumors you put out without proof.  You only give your opinion, which seems to be whatever the band director wants.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 01:50:29 AM »
Rumor has it that NCCU had over $200,000 in surplus band scholarships.  This was money not given out.  Not used.  If true that could have supported an additional 50 band members or more.  

81alphaeagle

First of all, it was you who started this post, talking about the above stated rumor. Those were your words and not mine.

Next, perhaps I should not have  used the term "rumor foolishness" for which I sincerely regret and sincerely apologize, if you feel one is warranted. It was fair to note your objections.

I do believe that we both sincerely Love NCCU and sincerely only want an excellent Band Program for our University, Students, Fans and Alumni. Yes, I believe that both of us are very frustrated regarding the current Marching Band Numbers at this point and time. Both of us want this situation appropriately fixed as soon as possible.

Where we both respectfully differ are with the facts that have caused the current decline in our quality band student numbers, within our Marching Band.

You have stated your concerns and I have stated my views regarding the problems that have led to the current situation.

On some of the facts, we will have to respectfully disagree on, until some of those issues are resolved. I personally believe that those issues can and will be resolved along with appropriate quality numbers recruited back into the Marching Band again, soon.

Thank You for your comments and concern regarding our Band students.

Take care!  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:09:49 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Online WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:08 AM »
Eagle Pride:

Take Care!

This is true.   And it's true for more than just  band. 

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »
Some really do not understand building a band program at an HBCU.  I noticed the band's sound at the beginning and end and it had greatly improved.  Reid had to work with low skilled musicians, but turned them into good musicians. Next year things should start a lot better. I just wish the band learn to play the game like BCU's band.   
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
WileECoyote06 and Eagle Pride

Thank You for the Support of our NCCU Students and Our Band Program.

Take care!

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
We all understand what is happening.  We can see also.  We have friends and relatives who have kids in the band and who have dropped out of the band for reasons.  We see the product on the field. We hear the product.   We compare pre and post Rose Bowl performances.  We know what administrators have reported and what some posted on line.  

Don't sell folk short.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:15:16 PM by 81alphaeagle »

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
81alphaeagle

Thank You for your Support and Concern For Our Band Students and Program.

23 Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. 24 And the Lord's servant[a] must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

Take Care
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:08:03 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »

Ephesians 5:6
“Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.”

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:01 AM »
81alphaeagle

Exodus 23:1  

“You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness

James 4:1-2  

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 08:41:41 PM »
You mean to tell me that funding can be cut to about nothing and the band should remain the same?  Trust me, Reid performed miracles with what he had.  Who can build a band program that can't travel to out of town games? :shrug:  Reid barely had enough to clean the instruments.  :no:  It is time to put the blame where it belongs.  On a good note, whatever was the problems this past band season can be fixed.  We just need folks to humble themselves in order to move forward.

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
You mean to tell me that funding can be cut to about nothing and the band should remain the same?  Trust me, Reid performed miracles with what he had.  Who can build a band program that can't travel to out of town games? :shrug:  Reid barely had enough to clean the instruments.  :no:  It is time to put the blame where it belongs.  On a good note, whatever was the problems this past band season can be fixed.  We just need folks to humble themselves in order to move forward.

Please present some data.  You and AMA have never presented data and numbers.  And when someone does report that 200K was left unspent, they are spreading lies and rumors.

BTW, all budgets on all campuses in the state of NC were cut.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 10:17:05 PM »
Posted by: 81alphaeagle
Please present some data.  You and AMA have never presented data and numbers.  And when someone does report that 200K was left unspent, they are spreading lies and rumors.

81alphaeagle

For anyone who would dare to suggest (via Rumor or otherwise) that any 200K that was allegedly available to the NCCU Division of Bands (Marching Band, Pep Band and symphonic Bands) and not spent on appropriate Band Needs, by the Band Director, without any evidence of the aforementioned claim, is at best, less than creditable in my opinion. I am sure that if you or anyone else had ANY written proof, other than hearsay from some unnamed source, you would have produced it, for all of us to see for ourselves, long ago. Isn't that right?

I am not sure what type of ax you personally have to grind against the Band Program for some unknown reason. But, I just wish you would let it go or personally discuss your concerns  with the Band Director himself (written or in person), what your issues and suggestions are. That action would be the best action for everyone, that would be the most fair and accurate to set this issue to rest, instead of posting rumors that have never been substantiated in any creditable manner that I personally know of. 

Anyway, we wish blessings upon you and yours. Thank You for your concern regarding the NCCU Band Program.

Take Care!

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »
81, they may have given the music department $200,000 or so, but the department did not allow the band to use it.  Why would Mr. Reid not use the money? :shrug:  Why would he not want to travel to away games? :shrug:  I don't think you understand the protocol Reid has to go through in order to get money for the band.  Seems like everything is going back to the head of the Music Department if you ask me.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
81, they may have given the music department $200,000 or so, but the department did not allow the band to use it.  Why would Mr. Reid not use the money? :shrug:  Why would he not want to travel to away games? :shrug:  I don't think you understand the protocol Reid has to go through in order to get money for the band.  Seems like everything is going back to the head of the Music Department if you ask me.

Exactly!

Mr. Reid does NOT have any direct control of what he is able to spend on anything without senior Administrative Management approval from the Music Department, since the Band has been move for direct Music Department management supervision, instead of direct Department Management from Student Affairs. That is no secret.

Anyway, the Band Program will find a way!!!

Take care!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:27:48 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News