News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: 9th Wonder class to launch Hip-Hop Institute at NCCU  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
9th Wonder class to launch Hip-Hop Institute at NCCU
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:53 AM »
9th Wonder class to launch Hip-Hop Institute at NCCU
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/localnews/x27233577/9th-Wonder-class-to-launch-Hip-Hop-Institute-at-NCCU

Apr. 14, 2014 @ 04:42 PM
Dawn Baumgartner Vaughan

The Herald-Sun | Bernard Thomas Patrick Douthit, better known as Grammy Award-winning producer and scholar "9th Wonder", will return to NCCU in fall 2014 to teach an interdisciplinary course on hip-hop context and culture that will be based in the Department of History at North Carolina Central University.

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
Re: 9th Wonder class to launch Hip-Hop Institute at NCCU
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:02:33 AM »
NCCU to Unveil New Partnership with Hip-Hop Scholar 9th Wonder
http://www.nccu.edu/news/index.cfm?ID=6E5D4572-15C5-F8D8-3AD5126295B0A19F

NCCU News
Published: Saturday, April 12, 2014

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) will announce a new artist-in-residence in the College of Arts and Sciences on Monday, April 14.

Patrick Douthit, also known as Grammy Award-winning producer and scholar 9th Wonder, will return to NCCU in fall 2014 and teach an interdisciplinary course on hip-hop context and culture that will be based in the Department of History. Douthit served as an adjunct professor at NCCU from 2006-2009.

A press conference is scheduled from noon to 12:30 p.m., in the Emma Marable Conference Room in the William Jones Building. Douthit, along with NCCU Chancellor Debra Saunders-White and Dr. Jim Harper, chair of the NCCU Department of History, will be available to discuss the course and how this cross discipline academic offering will examine the impact of hip-hop culture on society as it continues to evolve globally.

*A preview of the announcement is available here.*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhDTPirCvy8&feature=youtu.be

Patrick Douthit, P.K.A., 9th Wonder, is a native of Winston-Salem, N.C., and has served as an assistant professor and the Nasir Jones Fellow in the W.E.B. Dubois Institute at Harvard University. Additionally, he is an adjunct professor at Duke University. He has lectured at universities across the country, including University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania and Cornell University. Douthit is the CEO of JAMLA Records, and has been the subject of two feature documentaries, “The Wonder Year” and “The Hip-Hop Fellow,” both produced by Kenneth Price. The later film, “The Hip-Hop Fellow,” premiered recently at the 2014 Full Frame Film Festival. Douthit has worked with some of the music industry’s most successful artists, including Jay-Z, Destiny’s Child, Mary J. Blige, Ludacris, Drake and Chris Brown. He also serves as director of Creative Outreach and Business Development for Lifted Research Group (LRG).

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »
New NCCU class to focus on hip hop
http://www.wncn.com/story/25243768/new-nccu-class-to-focus-on-hip-hop

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 4:11 PM EDT - Updated: Apr 14, 2014 4:11 PM EDT
by Melanie Sanders, WNCN News

click on photo to view video story

DURHAM, N.C. - Everything you ever wanted to know about hip hop and more will soon be available in a new class at North Carolina Central University.

The premise is that the hip hop industry goes way beyond making music. And who better to teach the course than a Grammy award-winning producer Patrick Douthit, a North Carolina native known in the music world as “9th Wonder.”

Douthit has taught at Harvard and Duke universities. He debuts at NCCU this fall in a class that could grow into a larger field of study.

“To have an artist like 9th Wonder come home to N.C. Central and to provide this relevant culture and curriculum to our students, I think is extraordinary,” Chancellor Debra Saunders-White said.

Douthit said the class will help students understand how to get into the music industry.

“If you want to be a lawyer in the entertainment industry there's a track for that. If you want to just study the music side of it, the ethnicology side, t here's a track for that in the music department,” he said. “If you want to learn the pop culture, there's a history side of it.”

Douthit has worked with artists like Jay-Z, Drake and Chris Brown and lectured at universities across the country, including the University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania and Cornell University. He said those interested in the hip hop industry need to consider a variety of skills.

“How did you make the tape? What did you make the tape on? Can you design something to make the same music you used to make the tape? Who designed the cover. Who made the website? Can you build your own website?” he said. “There are so many avenues that you can take.”

The hip hop curriculum will involve the communication, history, arts and law departments.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:33:05 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:51:26 AM »

The Herald-Sun | Bernard Thomas Patrick Douthit, better known as Grammy Award-winning producer and scholar "9th Wonder", will return to NCCU in fall 2014 to teach an interdisciplinary course on hip-hop context and culture that will be based in the Department of History at North Carolina Central University.

Wonder Year feature trailer @ http://www.9thwonder.com/video/trailor-the-wonder-year
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:53:37 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »
Bro Askia. I haven't clicked onto any of the sties or anything, but didn't NCCU get rid of some phase of its hip hop curriculum a couple of years ago??

Either way, it is a good thing to have 9th back on campus sharing his knowledge. I love his music and play it all the time. Shoot, I got hip to his stuff (along with the group he used to be in "Little Brother") because of Wile back in the day (like 04 or 05) posting them on Onnidan. When I first heard their stuff, I was like "Why wasn't I hip to this before!!??" >:( >:( :lol:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
Bro Askia. I haven't clicked onto any of the sties or anything, but didn't NCCU get rid of some phase of its hip hop curriculum a couple of years ago??

Either way, it is a good thing to have 9th back on campus sharing his knowledge. I love his music and play it all the time. Shoot, I got hip to his stuff (along with the group he used to be in "Little Brother") because of Wile back in the day (like 04 or 05) posting them on Onnidan. When I first heard their stuff, I was like "Why wasn't I hip to this before!!??" >:( >:( :lol:

FunCkMaster

Thank you for Asking about Hip Hop Institute @ NCCU. Yes you are correct, NCCU did offer like classes some years ago when Dr. Ammons was Chancellor. Dr. Nelms did not see the value for the Hip Hop offerings at NCCU and had it discontinued. Our current Chancellor, Dr. Saunders-White, seems very open to thinking out of the Box, regarding new ideas to spark student interest and recruitment, as Dr. Ammons did when he was at NCCU. I am very encouraged and very pleased that NCCU alumnus "9TH Wonder" is back teaching on campus again.

I am very encouraged that such thinking out of the Box will lead to many better things for the future development of NCCU.

Take care!

Offline BIG GRAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
I am so proud of 9th Wonder and that he is a product of NCCU.

Born Patrick Denard Douthit in Winston-Salem, NC, 9th Wonder is a Grammy Award Winning Producer, DJ, College Lecturer, and Social Activist. Since his introduction to hip-hop in 1982, 9th has been immersed in the music and culture of the art form, while gaining experience in music theory throughout middle and high school. 9th attended North Carolina Central University, where he decided to pursue a career in music. He, along with Phonte Colerman and Thomas Jones (Rapper Big Pooh), formed the hip-hop trio Little Brother in 1998. The group released the critically acclaimed album "The Listening", which received 4 mics in Source Magazine.

9th was then tapped to produce a track on Jay-Z's "Black Album", which became his first major label placement. From there, 9th Wonder produced 3 songs for the R&B Super group Destiny's Child on the album "Destiny Fulfilled" (Girl, Is She The Reason, Game Over), won a Grammy with Mary J. Blige for her album "The BreakThrough" (Good Woman Down), Erykah Badu's "Honey" and "20 Ft. Tall" on the album New Amerykah 1 and 2, Ludacris' "Do The Right Thang", a song featuring Common and Spike Lee, and most recently David Banner on the album Death Of A Popstar. 9th will also be working with DRAKE for the second time on his sophomore album release. 9th also has 3 albums with MURS, an Emcee that hails from MidCity, CA, in which all three albums have received critical acclaim.

9th was chosen by Aaron McGruder to score music for the critically acclaimed series "The Boondocks". He has endorsed companies such as M-Audio Electronics, FL Studio, LRG Clothing Company, and Creative Recreation Shoe Company. 9th Wonder was one of 12 individuals selected by The Pepsi Corporation for the African American Calender, "The First Of Many". 9th has also worked on an album with Hollywood actor Idris Elba.

He is the president, founder and CEO of It's a Wonderful World Music Group, which focuses on catering to the 28 to 40 year old demographic of hip-hop music lovers, 9th Wonder hosts a radio show along with Kyle Santillian on Soul 104.5 FM in Fayetteville, NC called "TRUE SCHOOL RADIO" playing the first 24 years of hip-hop, along with 80's R&B, and New Jack Swing.

9th Wonder and six other individuals founded the True School Corporation in 2006 to celebrate the music, culture, and film of 70's babies and The Spike Lee Era. In the United States there are millions of Black Americans between the ages of 28-40 that grew up in a time where hip-hop was diverse, informative, and soulful. These same individuals have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, accountants, dentists, etc., and still have a love of what hip-hop used to be. The media has demonized hip-Hop in the last 10 years; so many Black Americans tend to shy away from the picture that the media has created for hip-hop. True School has changed the minds of the generation before us (50's and 60's babies) and let them know that emcees such Chuck D, Rakim, KRS ONE, The Native Tongues, Outkast, and countless other has had much of an effect on our lives as our teachers and educators.

9th believes in the preservation of Black Music throughout all its divisions (jazz, gospel, funk, soul, afrobeat, hip-hop), and its connections to music enthnocology and the African diaspora. 9th was recently appointed the National Ambassador For Hip-Hop Relations and Culture for the NAACP by Ben Jealous, President of The NAACP, where he leads a board of PhD's, Hip-Hop Artists, and Juris Doctorates. 9th was recently interviewed by Neill McNeill of FOX 8 News in The Piedmont, NC, for a segment entitled "NewsMaker", to showcase North Carolinians who are making a difference in the community. 9th Wonder is also a member of the Universal Zulu Nation, a hip-hop peace organization started by Afrika Bambaataa in 1973.

9th was appointed Artist in Residence by former North Carolina Central University Chancellor James Ammons (now President of Florida A&M University) in the fall of 2006. An Artist in Residence is someone involved heavily in the music industry to conduct a course or seminar of a particular subject. He was approached by Dr. Kawachi Clemons, PhD of Education, to develop a course called "Hip Hop in Context, 1973-1997″, a study of the development and cultural history of Hip-Hop starting with James Brown in the late 1960's, going all the way to death of The Notorious B.I.G. in 1997. He is now currently an Adjunct Professor at Duke University while still traveling the country lecturing at different universities.

"You have to see one to be one." Hip-Hop is now making its 20yr generational turn, and there are a new breed of artists who are children of the first hip-hop generation, that have studied that generation's sound, look, and feel. "If the younger generation. . . " he continues. With President Barack Obama's message, and the new movement of hip-hop hipsters. . . "Along with several colleagues, I plan to have Summits, Festivals, and lecture panel series throughout the year, to show kids the true manifestation of the hip-hop culture and lifestyles," 9th says.

"Hip-Hop is the voice of at least 2 generations. At one time, it was the POSITIVE voice, as stated earlier. Chuck D was the black history teacher I never had, along with countless other black Americans my age. It can be that again, but with the right voices and the right players. As the late Curtis Mayfield said, "We must educate and Well as Entertain."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:11:38 PM by BIG GRAY »
NCCU 2014, 2015 & 2016 Football MEAC CHAMPS

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square