News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is...  (Read 73755 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.

Marcus Garvey

In that spirit, 50 years ago a lot more going on than the March on Washington and a speech by Dr. King.

This recent book gives an in-depth look at one of the organizations that is rarely given enough credit for its contribution to the Freedom Struggle in the USA:  SNCC.

IMAGE OF BOOK COVER
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JGHHQxe-L._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The excerpts on the Amazon site are enough to give us the flavor of the times and courage of the youth of those days.  You will see some familiar names (Bond, Lewis, Barry, Forman, Carmichael) and some others that may not be so familiar to some (McDew, Nash, Baker, Jones, Bevel, Moses).  And - BONUS - gives insight into the under-reported and under-appreciated role of women in the early days of the Movement.

Enjoy!
http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Youth-Remarkable-Journey-Generation/dp/B005X4K9FE/ref=nosim/?tag=chickenajourn-20

[I had the pleasure of speaking with Bob Moses on the phone and meeting him when his daughter attended Howard and was a Work-Study student in my office.  He was SO surprised that I recognized his name. ]

For greater context, here is EYE ON THE PRIZE, the award winning documentary of the Civil Rights Movement.  Even if you've seen it a long time ago, it's worth watching again.
This segment focuses on Mississippi and includes some footage re: SNCC.

(RIP Lawrence Guyot!!)

O0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:37:50 AM by Bison66 »
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
And people who cling to the past will never have a future. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu

No need to for the derogatory remark. I find it interesting that white folk will talk about history yet it's a problem when a black person brings up history.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
That is because psychologically in his mind HIS history IS American History-- everyone else's is foreign.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I bet UCI would never make that statement on a Jewish website.

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Do you feel the same way about folks who reenact the civil war at the parks every weekend?

"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Correct, because in his mind, THEIR culture, history and experiences HAVE VALUE, BECAUSE in his mind, AS A PEOPLE THEY HAVE VALUE.

A friend just told us a story the other day of a white woman telling her, "I don't know what Black folks are upset about, you ain't never did nothing!"

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

No need to for the derogatory remark. I find it interesting that white folk will talk about history yet it's a problem when a black person brings up history.
Not derogatory at all.....and I said nothing about bringing up history....or talking about history. GO VIKINGS!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:03:45 PM by uchighlander »

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I don't have to....they don't cling to their past....they talk about their past and don't let you forget about their past....they have moved on though. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Not derogatory at all.....and I said nothing about bring up history....or talking about history. GO VIKINGS!!!

The problem is too many black folk want to use history as a crutch and plead for white quilt.

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Do you feel the same way about folks who reenact the civil war at the parks every weekend?

Yes....pretty much. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Of course, highlander raises a false dichotomy AND CAN'T STAY ON A SINGULAR SUBJECT, either.

When the Israeli PM made his recent speech, he started with the HISTORY OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE.

CAN WE NOW IGNORE THE DISTRACTION AND DEAL WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND?
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Presentation on Kwame Ture (Stokely), COINTELPRO and Black Panther Party

Wednesday at 1pm Eastern Time (Noon Panama time)

https://a-aprp-gc.eventbrite.com/

A perspective on contributions of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael) to the struggle to build the Black Panther Party, 1964 to 1969

Speaker: Bob Brown, founder and ex-member of the Chicago Chapter of the Black Panther Party and organizer for the All-African People's Revolutionary Party (GC)

The Program will be broadcast live on the internet on Wednesday, October 16, 2013:

Pan-African Roots TV - A-APRP (GC) http://a-aprp-gc.org/Pan-African_Roots_TV/
Wednesday, 16 October - 1:00 pm (EST )  Noon Central Time
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Of course, highlander raises a false dichotomy AND CAN'T STAY ON A SINGULAR SUBJECT, either.

When the Israeli PM made his recent speech, he started with the HISTORY OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE.

CAN WE NOW IGNORE THE DISTRACTION AND DEAL WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND?
O0
Did I bring up the subject of Jews? No....I didn't..... Ken did.....I just responded.....however you.....in your SOP....try and change the subject and point the finger the other way. You obviously either missed the point of my post....or it hits so close to home that you have to ignore it. OS did NOT miss the point. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
You inferred something I did not intend or imply.  That's not a criticism.

I was only saying that when the PM spoke, he put his people's historical experience first in order to set some context for what he had to say.

My reference to "singular subject" was YOUR post:  "And people who cling to the past will never have a future."

As you know, I am only pointing that "singular subject" stuff out because you hypocritically (because you do it often) accused others of not being able to stay on topic IMO only as an excuse not to address the issue that is raised.
O0
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:13:50 PM by Bison66 »
Long Live Killmonger!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News