News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: NCCU Band Funding, Questions.  (Read 3516 times)

Online 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
NCCU Band Funding, Questions.
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Just read an article in the newspaper about band funding at NCCU compared to aggies.  It appears, according to the article that we have fewer band members than the aggies, but have a higher band budget.  Also, more money is allocated for scholarships.  This is contrary to what we have been hearing regarding funding. 

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/localnews/x1435697174/THE-BATTLE-WITHIN-THE-BAND

NCCU’s Marching Sound Machine is currently at 140 members. North Carolina A&T’s Blue and Gold Marching Machine is at about 175 students this semester.

But looking at financial strength, N.C. A&T’s band budget is at $397,000 for fiscal 2013-14, with about $125,000 distributed in band scholarships.

NCCU’s band budget trumps that, with $434,906 allocated for fiscal 2013-14, with $200,000 of that reserved for band scholarships, according to information provided by both universities

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
Re: NCCU Band Funding, Questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »

Members of the North Carolina Central University Marching Sound Machine perform during a game at O'Kelly-Riddick Stadium. The Herald-Sun | Bernard Thomas

In a phone conversation with The Herald-Sun, NCCU College of Arts and Sciences Dean Carlton Wilson and NCCU music department chair Ralph Barrett both said the band program, which includes marching band, symphonic band, the choir, jazz groups and music education, will focus on creating financial partnerships with alumni and the Durham community.

The administration, including new chancellor Debra Saunders-White, supports every student activity on campus, including the marching band, they said.

“What we are experiencing here within our music program is not uncommon for any other program,” Barrett said. “The inability of the band to travel really becomes a function of athletics and not of music.” http://www.heraldsun.com/news/localnews/x1435697174/THE-BATTLE-WITHIN-THE-BAND

In my very personal opinion, folks need to understand the whole total story and not get it twisted.

One should ask, regarding the total band program, how much did the "Marching Band" and Symphonic bands Receive, regarding, operations budget, recruitment budget and scholarship budget, when not lumped all together with the Jazz Band operations, choir and other sections of the music Department?

Folks need to understand that the Marching Band is Not part of the Jazz Band, Choir and other parts of the music department, that apparently are shared with the same Music Department Budget, if one carefully reads what was quoted above, via the alleged telephone conversation from Music Department and Administrator.

Everyone needs to work together to get our Marching Band, Pep Band, Symphonic & Wind Symphonic Bands, where appropriate operations, recruitment, and scholarship funding, need to be. This should be an organized 3 year University and Alumni Funding strategy with cooperative effort.   

Just my personal view.

Take Care!

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »

Members of the North Carolina Central University Marching Sound Machine perform during a game at O'Kelly-Riddick Stadium. The Herald-Sun | Bernard Thomas

Want to help?
http://www.heraldsun.com/archive/x249845671

Sep. 23, 2013 @ 07:56 AM

DURHAM — To donate to the NCCU marching band program through the NCCU Sound Machine Booster Club, visit http://www.nccusmbc.org/paypal.html

One of the Sound Machine’s biggest fundraisers of the year is coming up Oct. 20, the third annual NCCU Homecoming Battle of the Bands. The university will host high school bands from across the country at 3 p.m. in the O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium on campus.

Admission will be $10 in advance and $15 at the gate. Visit  
http://web.nccu.edu/homecoming/ for more information
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:18:56 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Online eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
Just read an article in the newspaper about band funding at NCCU compared to aggies.  It appears, according to the article that we have fewer band members than the aggies, but have a higher band budget.  Also, more money is allocated for scholarships.  This is contrary to what we have been hearing regarding funding. 

NCCU’s Marching Sound Machine is currently at 140 members. North Carolina A&T’s Blue and Gold Marching Machine is at about 175 students this semester.

But looking at financial strength, N.C. A&T’s band budget is at $397,000 for fiscal 2013-14, with about $125,000 distributed in band scholarships.

NCCU’s band budget trumps that, with $434,906 allocated for fiscal 2013-14, with $200,000 of that reserved for band scholarships, according to information provided by both universities

:o  I am surprised we are close to A&T's budget.  I saw A&T's band at the battle, and they appear to be twice the size of the Sound Machine.  What in the world is going on? :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:45:56 PM by eagle pride »
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

I'd like to see some receipts for those numbers...

AGGIE PRIDE

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »

Are you saying that the aggies don't have that much money in their budget for the band?   I had an aggie band booster tell me a couple of years ago that A&T does not give band scholarships anymore.  Is that true?     :shrug:    ???

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:00:30 PM »
Just read an article in the newspaper about band funding at NCCU compared to aggies.  It appears, according to the article that we have fewer band members than the aggies, but have a higher band budget.  Also, more money is allocated for scholarships.  This is contrary to what we have been hearing regarding funding.  

Are you saying that the aggies don't have that much money in their budget for the band?   I had an aggie band booster tell me a couple of years ago that A&T does not give band scholarships anymore.  Is that true?     :shrug:    ???

I'm not saying anything, I just would like to see the receipts on these budgets and size figures...I think A&T was marching 140-145 with 10 Drummers in the stands at the Battle last night  :-X

As far as scholarships, There are some partial scholarships available to students and the Each One Reach One Fund for Student Needs. Nobody is getting a full ride to come play for A&T (if they were, the band would be a beastly size) Loyalty is not just a word on a shirt for members of the BGMM, they truly march for the love of it
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:21:41 PM by Aggie Blues »

AGGIE PRIDE

Online eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »

Are you saying that the aggies don't have that much money in their budget for the band?   I had an aggie band booster tell me a couple of years ago that A&T does not give band scholarships anymore.  Is that true?     :shrug:    ???

I'm not saying anything, I just would like to see the receipts on these budgets and size figures  :-X

As far as scholarships, There are some partial scholarships available to students and the Each One Reach One Fund for Student Needs. Nobody is getting a full ride to come play for A&T (if they were, the band would be a beastly size) Loyalty is not just a word on a shirt for members of the BGMM, they truly march for the love of it

Aggie Blues, you beat me to it.  Kids love marching for A&T for some reason. lol  It is what it is. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:53 AM »
We may have dropped in numbers because of the GPA requirement and being a student enrolled at the university to participate.  If the Director would get a personality and stop his acolytes from complaining and attacking anyone who differs constantly has gotten old quick around the campus.  The AD would be a fool to pay to move those numbers/feeding/housing/travel  out of her budget when many visiting schools won't allow them on their field until the game is over.  That's a lot of money that Bowling, Volleyball, Softball, Tennis and Baseball need.  Who said we needed a 350-450 size band? With scholarships?  Don't care what Bethune or FAMU has in numbers, I don't think we need that size when band alumni refuse or have no interest in giving them financial support to achieve that size. The director says he doesn't want band members raising the funds, well ,  Who Then?.  Is he above the efforts of getting it done?  The new Chancellor has issues more important than the size of the band and whether they travel or no.  If the article was done to put then on the spot, I think it failed in bullying the AD or Chancellor.    I once saw a FAMU band at the Atlanta Classics vs Tennessee State with close to 500 members.  That was too much band and it took them too long just to get on and off the field.  The height of foolishness in numbers.   Southern University has a very good 250 member band.  No flag carriers needed, just instruments, percussions etc and dancers.  A beautiful classy presentation that plays well  more than large numbers.   I don't expect the bandheads to respect  my opinion on this matter because we should have a very good band but whether it has to be 350-400 is the question and you can't make anyone move in your direction positively with this  tactic.      
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:06:25 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline EagleWing

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
Bottom line is the band sounds bad, looks bad, and appears to be doing bad.... what are we (NCCU) to fix it. I don't need a history lesson on marching bands nor do I want to hear things are complicated. Band helps the the university so the university should be able to help the band.

Offline Pirate12

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

Looks and sounds bad with 175 musicians... :lmao: I remember when Morgan State had 60 people in the 1970s and smoked big band Grambling and then did NCCU in too. So, if you can not be productive with 175 musicians...why double that number?

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
We may have dropped in numbers because of the GPA requirement and being a student enrolled at the university.  If the Director would get a personality and stop his acolytes from complaining and attacking anyone who differs constantly has gotten old quick around the campus.  The AD would be a fool to pay to move those numbers/feeding/housing/travel  out of her budget when many visiting schools won't allow them on their field until the game is over.  That's a lot of money that Bowling, Volleyball, Softball, Tennis and Baseball need.  Who said we needed a 350-450 size band? With scholarships?  Don't care what Bethune or FAMU has in numbers, I don't think we need that size when band alumni refuse or have no interest in giving them financial support to achieve that size. The director says he doesn't want band members raising the funds, well ,  Who?.   Is he above the efforts of getting it done?  The new Chancellor has issues more important than the size of the band and whether they travel or no.  If the article was done to put her on the spot, I think it failed.    I once saw a FAMU band at the Atlanta Classics vs Tennessee State with close to 500 members.  That was too much band and it took them too long just to get on and off the field.  The height of foolishness in numbers.   Southern University has a very good 250 member band.  No flag carriers needed, just instruments, percussions etc and dancers.  A beautiful classy presentation that can play more than numbers.   I don't expect the bandheads to respect  my opinion on this matter because we should have a very good band but whether it has to be 350-400 is the question.     

Thinkingaboutit

What in the world is the matter with you? For the life of me, I do not know what you have against the NCCU Band Program. Stop being so darn narrow minded and stop being part of the problem, with your useless negative and non factual foolishness against the band.

It is not you putting in the extra hard work each day, trying to do something positive for the University, via the time, discipline, hard work, and attention to detail it takes to be an outstanding band student. How much time, encouragement  and money have you ever put into the band program, if any? All we get from you is negative verbal foolishness, period.

Cut it out and act like you have some grown up and mature suggestions or solutions regarding our band students, that can be helpful and positive, for a very welcomed and needed change in your attitude, regarding our band students. 

Your off the chain negative attitude is more than shameful, in bashing our own NCCU students, if you claim to be an alumnus of NCCU.

You NEVER offer any emotional support of our Band Students and you NEVER have anything positive to say. NEVER!!!!

So, what in the world have our students in the Marching Band ever done to you and yours, to be so spitefully negative? With shameful Alumni like you, we don't need any more enemies.

Disgusting Indeed!

Yes, I said it and mean every word. Stop bashing our NCCU Band Students.

That is all. Not if you don't start stuff, it won't be any mess here.

Good day!

Offline EagleWing

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

Looks and sounds bad with 175 musicians... :lmao: I remember when Morgan State had 60 people in the 1970s and smoked big band Grambling and then did NCCU in too. So, if you can not be productive with 175 musicians...why double that number?

Having seen them perform this year multiple times I'll say when you see 175 members in the band you let me know. They added a few more for the Towson game but before that I counted less than 100.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »
I have nothing against the NCCU band or student participants.  I have a problem with persons associated with the group that put out innuendos on NCCU Administrators because they don't care for things done for the student body as a whole and not the band in particular.  You cry fire in a theatre one time too many. That onslaught of post were too much and its my opinion only.  You have been called out by your tactics by other alums.  Drs Rome and Nelms have gone to exciting places furthering  their interest and careers.  You're still here spilling ink.  Now its Debra S White who may follow in NELMS/ROME sound fiscal style.  Then What?.  Start a fire and fan the flames through the students.   There are no negatives against the band, there are negative against methods of bringing attention to a situation.   Obviously budgetary restraints all schools are facing doesn't exist with you.   I'm just one person with one opinion.  I loved the Marching Sound Machine but understand the cost of moving those number of people safely around the state and country. I don't think its the Athletic Directors responsibility to fund those high cost.  I have donated numerous times to the cause of the band until person started going viral against outstanding Administrators.   Sleep on that. No one on this board, myself included, have bashed a NCCU student as you have our former leaders.   Saying such is an attempt to gather a storm through innuendo and inference. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:46:38 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »

Thinkingaboutit

I will sleep very well, thank you very much. Those other former NCCU administrators you mentioned are gone. That will help me sleep that much better, as well as many more of our students, as well.

Have a Good Day anyway.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:38:04 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News