News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Cherelle and Alexander O'Neal  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Cherelle and Alexander O'Neal
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Guys............your humble poster and Mrs. Strike saw these two in concert in Nashville this past Friday nite, and we were absolutely thrilled.  I am more than pleased to report that after all these years, some 25+ to be exact, both of them STILL have their voices and it really was entertaining.  :clap:

Cherelle is still fine as ever  ;D, but she let the audience know that she was taking care of herself at 55 yrs old.  ;)  Alex has put on a good deal of weight, but when homeboy started singing, it was still that sexy, sultry, smooth voice that drive the women crazy.  I thought at one point Mrs. Strike was going to LITERALLY jump on stage with Alex.  They each did single sets, and then did two duets, "Everything I Miss at Home," and "Saturday Love".

The show was at a small comedy/jazz club, but the intimacy of the place really added to the atmosphere.  Mrs. Strike and I were both pulling for these two because they both have had personal challenges over the years - like who hasn't  :( - but it was well worth the cost of admission.

If they are performing at a city near you, check them out.  ;)

[Poster's note:  If you have to ask just who these two are, that's what youtube is for.  :lol:]

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
Re: Cherelle and Alexander O'Neal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
I saw her a few years back with New Edition. I thought she was decent

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
You are showing yo age Strike...  :lol:

BTW, two words:

FLYTE

TYME!!!!

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
I saw her a few years back with New Edition. I thought she was decent
REALLY?.......................  :(

I think ANY singer whose voice is as vibrant and fresh as it was 25+ years ago is pretty cool in my estimation.  But then, again, I don't regard American Idol, The Voice and the rest of the television "voice" competition shows as the standard for good singing.  ::)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
BTW, two words:

FLYTE

TYME!!!!

:lol:.............yeah, well, I'm delighted to show my "age," and that's why I don't get particularly excited by the current trend of two-bit singers who have a single hit, then fade away into oblivion.  I am old enough to remember when mofos really had to have TALENT to succeed in the business.  :tongue2:

Offline Jaggrad

• Assistant GM
  • We Them Boyz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
I'd love to hear Alexander in person!!...  Dude's voice was by far one of the best in the business.  I hate that he has gone through what he did. 

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
I'd love to hear Alexander in person!!...  Dude's voice was by far one of the best in the business.  I hate that he has gone through what he did. 
Jagg...........reiterating what I have already stated, I can HONESTLY report that Alex's voice was as fresh and vibrant as ever.  But he REALLY HAS put on a lot of weight.  I would guess that he is probably somewhere in the 250 - 300lbs range.  :(  Both and he and Cherelle commented how warm it was on stage, and Alex was sweating PROFUSELY under the lights.  Mrs. Strike and I were both worried that the guy might pass out or something.  :(

But I gotta tell ya, the brutha was dressed very classy.  He wore a grey, pinstripe suit and white dress shirt, no tie.  And he had on a pair of black, laceup, narrow toe dress shoes.  They looked like Johnson and Murphy, similar to what your humble poster has in his shoe collection.  ;)

Btw, Alex's Christmas CD recorded in late 80's, "My Gift to You" is an absolute CLASSIC, and the BEST Christmas CD that Mrs. Strike and I enjoy listening to each season BAR NONE!!!  :clap:

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
BTW, two words:

FLYTE

TYME!!!!

:lol:.............yeah, well, I'm delighted to show my "age," and that's why I don't get particularly excited by the current trend of two-bit singers who have a single hit, then fade away into oblivion.  I am old enough to remember when mofos really had to have TALENT to succeed in the business.  :tongue2:

Ain't it the truth!!!

And while I'm sure EVERY generation laments about the paucity of talent TODAY compared to back in THEIR day, there is a CLEAR break in the quality and quantity of truly talented singers/composers/arrangers/musicians with the advent of widespread, universal hip-hop music and culture.

I remember WORD FOR WORD songs I literally haven't heard in 30 or 40 years... because the quality of the songs is such that it made a huge impression on me. How many songs will people 30-40 years from NOW be able to truthfully say that about?  :shrug:

:no:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
it's not hard to remember, bitch, crack, ho, sex, n igga know what I mean   :vomit:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
Alexander O' Neil could have been one of the all time r&b greats if he left that stuff alone. His first four albums were classics.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
it's not hard to remember, bitch, crack, ho, sex, n igga know what I mean   :vomit:
Yeah...  :no:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
Alexander O' Neil could have been one of the all time r&b greats if he left that stuff alone. His first four albums were classics.

True.  :no:

Kicked him out of The Time... Prince did NOT tolerate substance abuse.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »

:no:............yeah, agree with both of you bruhs.  But to simply state that he should have "left that stuff alone" is really nowhere NEAR as simple as that sounds.  Like MANY families, I have been exposed to substance and alcohol abuse CLOSE AND PERSONAL and, trust me, it is NOT a pretty picture.  :(

But, bless his heart, to his credit, at least on this past Friday nite, in one little club in Nashville, TN, Alexander O'Neal performed to the standard that so many of his fans remember back in the day.  Guys, believe me when I tell you that both Mrs. Strike and I were on pins and needles anticipating BOTH Cherelle and Alex.  We really didn't know WHAT to expect.  But they both were on point and, although it appeared to be a physical struggle for Alex at times - who knows, there may still be an "issue" with him going on ??? - he managed to get through his set, including getting the cooperation of the FULL house singing the recurring stanza on "Saturday Love" without any musical accompaniment.

We were both glad to have been there to experience them both.  :clap:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
I saw him in 1986 at the Budweiser Superfest at RFK Stadium in DC. The bill had  Ashford & Simpson, Al B. Sure, Alex, Cherelle, New Edition and Maze.

Mr. O' Neal was star of that bill even with an early slot.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »

:no:............yeah, agree with both of you bruhs.  But to simply state that he should have "left that stuff alone" is really nowhere NEAR as simple as that sounds.  Like MANY families, I have been exposed to substance and alcohol abuse CLOSE AND PERSONAL and, trust me, it is NOT a pretty picture.  :(

But, bless his heart, to his credit, at least on this past Friday nite, in one little club in Nashville, TN, Alexander O'Neal performed to the standard that so many of his fans remember back in the day.  Guys, believe me when I tell you that both Mrs. Strike and I were on pins and needles anticipating BOTH Cherelle and Alex.  We really didn't know WHAT to expect.  But they both were on point and, although it appeared to be a physical struggle for Alex at times - who knows, there may still be an "issue" with him going on ??? - he managed to get through his set, including getting the cooperation of the FULL house singing the recurring stanza on "Saturday Love" without any musical accompaniment.

We were both glad to have been there to experience them both.  :clap:
Well Frat, the encouraging thing is you do NOT see any overweight cocaine/crack addicts...  :clap:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=