News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Obama to ‘Morehouse men’: no time for excuses  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Obama to ‘Morehouse men’: no time for excuses
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
This Morehouse grad did not care for the speech and had some interesting points in this video blog.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
See?

The thing is... if SOME people in the intended audience find it objectionable... AND for the same reason(s), then there is a problem.  :tiptoe:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
See?

The thing is... if SOME people in the intended audience find it objectionable... AND for the same reason(s), then there is a problem.  :tiptoe:

No there isn't. ::)

In no way is a speech going to appeal to EVERYONE in ANY audience. :no:

Look, I respect people's opinion about the speech. It is what it is. But I as a Morehouse graduate...........and MANY of the alumni who were present............appreciated the speech. I think some are just nitpicking at this point. It was a COMMENCEMENT address.......that is it. It was a charge to the graduates..............as most commencement addresses are intended to be.
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
TOTALLY missing the point Professor.  :no:

COMPLETELY.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:10 AM »
No actually Cholly I'm NOT missing the point.  :nono2:

I COMPLETELY understand the point. I just don't AGREE with the point you (and others) are attempting to make. I think it's much ado about nothing. That doesn't mean I'm missing anything.......I just disagree.

Again, I think Gwen Ifill put the entire "controversy" in proper perspective with the article I linked to earlier in this thread................... :nod:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:51:54 AM by Ivan »

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »
You say you disagree.

Well.... THAT'S THE POINT!

Understand that the FACT that some people took offense with certain statements in the Presidents presentation... statements and concepts he has made before when addressing African American audiences... means that there is a problem in the message.

As I have said repeatedly in this and the other thread, he heeds to massage his message and change his delivery.

While SOME of you have no problem with what he said or the way he said it, others do. Since it is safe to assume that he gave us the message for our mutual benefit, then the more effective the delivery... ie the more people he can persuade to his side... the better the chances are that he reaches his goal.

I am an Obama Supporter... but take exception to the fact that he always lectures the people least likely to benefit from his message, on personal responsibility.

And while you and others may sing AMEN, there are plenty of people who are offended. PERIOD.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
Understand that the FACT that some people took offense with certain statements in the Presidents presentation... statements and concepts he has made before when addressing African American audiences... means that there is a problem in the message.

.........and here is the crux of our disagreement on this thread. ^^^^^^^^^

I don't agree with that statement in no way shape or form. There's absolutely no way that the president........or anyone for that matter.......can ensure that his message appeals to everybody. He might be able to craft a message that appeals to most everyone, but not EVERYONE. On the day that he delivered his address at Morehouse's commencement, most everyone applauded his message. The detractors at the event, and in the media, are fewer in numbers than the critics. Again, I just think that people are making more out of this commencement address than there really is. ::)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
I am an Obama Supporter... but take exception to the fact that he always lectures the people least likely to benefit from his message, on personal responsibility.

And while you and others may sing AMEN, there are plenty of people who are offended. PERIOD.
:)..........uhhhh, Big Cholly, you, sir, are BOTH my muse on this board AND frat.  Have tremendous respect for you and your myriad views not only on THIS topic but on the various topics on which you have chosen to opine on this board.  And while I realize, sadly, that deficiencies in reading comprehension skills and/or dyslexia are RAMPANT among the folks registered on this board, don't you think that you have made this point^^^^^REPEATEDLY over the course of SIX FREAKIN PAGES ????

I understand and appreciate that "having the last word" is very important to you.  :)  But we might ALL benefit if you take leave of THIS thread, and share some of your VAST wisdom on other topics.  For example, you might provide some insights on the thread that discusses Lil Wayne's latest outburst.  That's just ONE topic that awaits you.  ;)

I IMPLORE you to consider what I am suggesting here.  Thank you, kind sir.

;D

Offline Lonewolf

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotmail.com
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2013, 10:21:54 AM »
Give it a rest at the end of the day he was speaking to the Morehouse Class of 2013 and not black America .
Was lost in Seoul Korea,finding my way in Tokyo, Japan.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
Give it a rest at the end of the day he was speaking to the Morehouse Class of 2013 and not black America .

Perhaps that is the problem. He was not speaking to the Morehouse audience exclusively. Remember when Romney got into trouble by speaking exclusively to that group of supporters? He had no intention to address the masses, but we all know the rest of that story. I feel when you are in certain positions of authority, you can't be too narrow. Obama addressed the entire spectrum of Africa American males.  It would have been disingenuous of him to praise the tiny group who have succeeded while ignoring the larger group with problems. He choose to touch them all.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »

.........and here is the crux of our disagreement on this thread. ^^^^^^^^^

I don't agree with that statement in no way shape or form. There's absolutely no way that the president........or anyone for that matter.......can ensure that his message appeals to everybody. He might be able to craft a message that appeals to most everyone, but not EVERYONE. On the day that he delivered his address at Morehouse's commencement, most everyone applauded his message. The detractors at the event, and in the media, are fewer in numbers than the critics. Again, I just think that people are making more out of this commencement address than there really is. ::)

Well certainly not the majority of his speech; just the portion where he lectured a bunch of highly intelligent, highly motivated, extremely capable middle and upper class African Americans... on the need to accept personal responsibility and set an example.  :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »

:)..........uhhhh, Big Cholly, you, sir, are BOTH my muse on this board AND frat.  Have tremendous respect for you and your myriad views not only on THIS topic but on the various topics on which you have chosen to opine on this board.  And while I realize, sadly, that deficiencies in reading comprehension skills and/or dyslexia are RAMPANT among the folks registered on this board, don't you think that you have made this point^^^^^REPEATEDLY over the course of SIX FREAKIN PAGES ????

I understand and appreciate that "having the last word" is very important to you.  :)  But we might ALL benefit if you take leave of THIS thread, and share some of your VAST wisdom on other topics.  For example, you might provide some insights on the thread that discusses Lil Wayne's latest outburst.  That's just ONE topic that awaits you.  ;)

I IMPLORE you to consider what I am suggesting here.  Thank you, kind sir.

;D

HA!

;D

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »

:clap: :clap:

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
 :no:

Talk about NOT understanding the situation.

Every single time THIS president opens his mouth, people around the world listen.  ::)

Thanks GOD HE realizes that fact....  :tiptoe:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
A good critique of some of the critiques of the President's speech:

http://www.theroot.com/views/obama-morehouse-try-another-listen?page=0,0

O0

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule