News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Band Funding  (Read 761 times)

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Band Funding
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:30 PM »
I realize that there is a huge difference in the amount of band members of MEAC schools as you move from south to north.  What is band funding like? Why is it that the schools with the larger student bodies have the smaller bands?

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Band Funding
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
My guess would be that the Marching 100, the Marching 101, The Wildcats of BCU, & the Blue & Gold Marching Machine of A&T ,even NCCU & even Norfolk have better traditions than the north MEAC schools . So therefore more support & funds. People pay money to see these bands . Especially the Big Three & we all know who those 3 bands are. I mentioned the big boys first.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
Black college marching band is huge in the South that trickles down to a large contingent following in the state high schools. Many of the public high school band directors are alumni from many of the black college bands. With that, many of the schools are able to funnel those students to the band director respective alma maters or some other HBCU. Living in the Washington, DC area, I can tell the difference and I have friends that went Hampton and they stated the same about the size bands in the size versus the ones in North/Mid-Atlantic area.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
Exactly! See Drumline the movie. Where was it filmed? In the Capital of the South; Atlanta, Ga.

Offline TBoneSuave

• Veteran
  • BMMB!!!
    • View Profile
    • Blue Machine Marching Band Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
Exactly! See Drumline the movie. Where was it filmed? In the Capital of the South; Atlanta, Ga.

Most ATL students don't stay in ATL anymore.... or GA for that matter...
B.M.M.B. 2k9
Suicide Slides 2k9 #2 "KiBa The Silent Assassin"
S.S.T.T.o.D.
FVSU Alum Spr. '12

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
Just using Atl & the South to make a point that Southern bands have more tradition & a bigger following. I agree T-bone that since Morris Brown's demise , that HBCU M'ing bands in Ga leave a lot less to be desired to say the least. There is nothing at all in Ga. The MRSB of ASU in a good year every now & then that's it.

Offline LaDuke1919

• Assistant GM
  • Bama State and CAU‘s finest
    • View Profile
    • My Arrangement Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »
Oh man...where should I get started on THIS topic?

You can't expect to operate a band program in 2013 with a 1970's mindset/budget for starters.  *SMH*  Morris Brown College "Marching Wolverines" had been the standard for a long time until internal school issues pretty much did them in.  CAU was getting there for a minute (1998-2004), but there were some cuts to a lot of programs (particularly music education) as well as our scholarship budget being slashed over in half, and we haven't been the same since.  Also factor in that tuition was getting raised each and every year, and then you start to see the decline in enrollment for the school and the band.  Also consider that the majority of the bands in metro Atlanta have directors that send their kids to their alma maters or whatever school gives them the most money, most of which are out-of-state.  Almost EVERY HBCU band director recruits here in Atlanta, plus students that go to these schools are your best recruiters.

On the collegiate side, you have some college presidents that "get it" and will use their band program to market the University (before their issues, see FAMU).  Or they will fund them accordingly to make sure they get the students that they need, which just happen to play instruments (kill two birds with one stone).

I can talk about this subject all day long.... :read:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule