News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: The NRA Was Not Always Against Gun Control - Not When it Involved Black People  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
Not that you care,.....I'm going to be away for about a week starting Sunday
[http://archive.benchmarkemail.com/Yes2Panama/newsletter/SOLD-OUT---Second-Phase-of-Rooms],
so I won't be posting much, if at all.

But before I leave....

I've always said that the NRA would be singing a different tune IF it was Black folks arming themselves.  I've mentioned Malcolm X's suggestion for the establishment of "Negro Rifle Clubs."  I've even alluded to the Black Panther Party (not these "new" JOKES using the name) by saying that when the Panthers walked into the Capitol in Sacramento, "I bet the NRA wasn't defending THEIR gun rights!" (paraphrase)

Little did I know (or perhaps in the recesses of my old brain, I vaguely remembered)....

re:  The NRA....
The organization actively lobbied in favor of the Gun Control Act of 1968, which banned gun sales by mail, and enacted a system of licensing those people and companies who bought and sold firearms.  Franklin Orth, then the executive vice president of the NRA, said that although certain aspects of the law “appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”

During that time, the NRA and conservative politicians such as California Governor Ronald Reagan supported gun control as a means of restoring social order, and getting weapons out of the hands of radical, left-leaning and revolutionary groups, particularly the Black Panther Party.

Responding to the perceived failures of the nonviolent civil rights movement, the Black Panthers took a more militant and uncompromising approach of the fallen leader Malcolm X.  Led by figures including Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale, the Panthers’ “by any means necessary” approach included a most aggressive gun ownership policy to protect their communities from police abuse.

Beginning in 1966, the Panthers carried out police patrols, in which they rushed to the scene of an arrest with their loaded weapons publicly displayed, and notified those being arrested of their constitutional rights.  California state legislator Don Mulford introduced a bill to repeal the state law allowing citizens to carry loaded guns in public if they were openly displayed.  Mulford had the Panthers in mind with this legislation.

On May 2, 1967, a group of Black Panthers protested the bill by walking into the California State Capitol Building fully armed.  In response, the legislature passed the Mulford Act.  And Gov. Reagan, who was a major proponent of disarming the Panthers, signed the bill into law, effectively neutralizing the Panther Police Patrols.

Yet, in the 1970s the NRA began to shift their direction rightward and actively lobby for gun rights.  Their chief lobbyist, Harlon Carter, was a former border control agent and staunch supporter of gun rights.  In 1977, Carter and his faction staged a coup within the NRA, against an establishment that wanted to shift away from gun control and crime in favor of conservation and sportsmen’s issues.

With the Black Panther Party and other left wing gun control foes out of the picture, the new hardline NRA feared the government would similarly take away their guns.  Further, these predominantly white and conservative gun rights advocates in the NRA shared the Panthers’ distrust of the police.

Ironically, Ronald Reagan—who had signed the Mulford Act to disarm the Black Panther Party—changed his stance and advocated for guns as a defense against state power.

“So isn’t it better for the people to own arms than to risk enslavement by power-hungry men or nations? The founding fathers thought so,” Reagan said in a radio commentary in 1975.

In 1980, the NRA endorsed Reagan for president, the first such endorsement by the group.  On March 30, 1981, President Reagan and three others were shot and injured by John Hinckley, Jr., 25, outside the Washington Hilton Hotel.
http://thegrio.com/2013/01/11/nra-was-pro-gun-control-when-it-came-to-black-panthers/2/

Just as I suspected..............
Hypocrites!!  Racist hypocrites!!

OK,........maybe that's a bit premature, I admit, because there might be another "angle" to the story.

But,....I doubt it.  If there is, I'd be interested - even eager - to hear/see it.
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline iceman4221

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Beast of the MidEast with 16 Football Championships and Counting...
NEVER Deliberate, Debate or Argue About what is Clearly Wrong and/or Unjust, and Try to Persuade Yourself or Others  that it's Not...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
TheGrio?  K---- please. 

BTW, of all his accomplishments a a California Assemblyman that dribble you posted isn't even mentioned.  Read 'em and weep.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
You, y04, KNOW dribble VERY well, boy.

Most of your posts are in that category.

Now....

There is no logic to what you are saying;
What?  Because it wasn't mentioned in his obit it didn't happen?  Is that what you intend to imply?  There are - NO DOUBT - many things that the man did in his life that were not mentioned in his obit.  Who knows, maybe he wasn't proud of the Act carrying his name........or his family asked that it not be mentioned in his obit (those things do happen when public figures die).

I gave my source - The Grio - saying what happened.

Your turn, y04, to provide a source disputing the facts.

We ALL know that this will be your cue to run away like a chicken.  But just in case, I'll check back later.

But, y04, not only is your logic weak :brickwall:, your "argument" has NO facts to back it up.  Here are some facts. :thefan:

PBS reported on the Mulford Act and the context of it:
It began shortly after the shooting of Denzil Dowell. East [EDIT] Bay legislator Don Mulford introduced a bill to repeal the law that permitted citizens to carry loaded weapons in public places so long as the weapons were openly displayed [see link to California Penal Code, Sections 12031 and 171.c]. What the Mulford law sought to achieve was the elimination of the Black Panther Police Patrols, and it had been tagged "the Panther Bill" by the media.
http://www.pbs.org/hueypnewton/actions/actions_capitolmarch.html

Run away..............

And RE: the NRA....
To put you out of your misery, I provide here the link to a scholarly treatise on gun control published in the Harvard Law Review.  Hopefully, you will find that source acceptable.  BUT since you have NEVER questioned OS' usual source - World Net Daily - who knows?

And you got the nerve to question the veracity of The Grio!!!
Please, boy.

The Executive Vice President of the NRA testified before Congress that no “sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing in [the Gun Control Act of 1968] the instrument which killed [President Kennedy].”  Keersten Heskin, Easier Than Obtaining a Driver’s License: The Federal Licensing of Gun Dealers, 46 FLA. L. REV. 805, 819 n.123 (1994); see also NRA Staff, Congress Threshes Out Gun Law Issue: Senators Defeat Four Registration and Licensing Attempts, AM. RIFLEMAN, Nov.  1968, at  22,  22 (“[W]hile the interstate features of the measure ‘appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with and we are particularly glad to see 3 positive recommendations of the NRA become law.’” (quoting NRA Executive Vice
President Franklin L. Orth)).   
See footnote #58 on page 205 of the Harvard Law Review
http://hlr.rubystudio.com/media/pdf/siegel.pdf

So, the GRIO had it exactly correct and you, y04, clearly were out to lunch - as usual.

Now, y04, either you provide contradictory "facts" or go sit down in a corner.
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The bill was originally written because of the Hell's Angels.  The Black Panthers, because their theatrics in Sacramento, got the bill rushed through and passed. 

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The bill was originally written because of the Hell's Angels.  The Black Panthers, because their theatrics in Sacramento, got the bill rushed through and passed.  

No actually it was written because of Alice in Wonderland. :tongue2:
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline MisterIkester

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
K---- please. 

What's with the name-calling?

You don't have to answer that. Not that you ever would, since your governor, Bobby Flay, has your balls in his purse.
"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." -James Baldwin

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
B66 went all Jake Gaither on y. He killed a mosquito with an axe!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
B66 went all Jake Gaither on y. He killed a mosquito with an axe!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only because my can of Raid was out of reach.

But, SoFlo, I was kind enough NOT to even mention that:
1) his post was a deflection from the point (and title) of the thread or
2) he failed to post a link (which is his big "point" to others)

Hey, just having fun and getting ready to go the all-inclusive beach resort today!!!  Only an hours drive.
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline MisterIkester

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Y's wandering the mean streets of Lynchburg like:

But seriously, 66, enjoy your vacation. :)
"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." -James Baldwin

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Thanks, Ikester!

I'm off now, but it IS a working vacation.  This is a trip Mrs. Bison66 and I are sponsoring.

I'll be back in tme to watch the Inauguration of RE-ELECTED PRESIDENT OBAMA.
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Optimusprime

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The bill was originally written because of the Hell's Angels.  The Black Panthers, because their theatrics in Sacramento, got the bill rushed through and passed. 

y, truth and objectivity has never stopped these K----s from the idiotic post.

Thanks for your tmely post to nip their usual BS in the bud.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

y, truth and objectivity has never stopped these K----s from the idiotic post.

Thanks for your tmely post to nip their usual BS in the bud.
???...........he hasn't "nipped" a DAMN thing.  All he has done is make great strides to supplant YOU as the most ridiculous poster on OW.

You guys DESERVE each other.  :(

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
Drivel, not Dribble

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News