News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Deputy Sheriff Kills Suspected Shoplifter In Front Of Two Small Children  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deputy Sheriff Kills Suspected Shoplifter In Front Of Two Small Children
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »
What a culture we live in where a person thinks it is OK to fire into a vehicle because somebody stole some stuff from Wal-Mart.  >:(

He shoots at the driver?

Well, what about the other two women in the car who weren't driving? Is it OK to kill THEM because they were co-suspects in the shop lifting?

Or how about the two CHILDREN that were in the vehicle? Is it OK to kill THEM because their mommy is a suspected shoplifter?  :crazy:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
What a culture we live in where a person thinks it is OK to fire into a vehicle because somebody stole some stuff from Wal-Mart.  >:(

He shoots at the driver?

Well, what about the other two women in the car who weren't driving? Is it OK to kill THEM because they were co-suspects in the shop lifting?

Or how about the two CHILDREN that were in the vehicle? Is it OK to kill THEM because their mommy is a suspected shoplifter?  :crazy:

Don't know all the details of this incident but if they were driving away from him I must agree with you 100%.   :nod:  If they were trying to run him down I could understand if he didn't see the children. :shrug:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:02:35 PM »
Had she not stolen anything we would not have this thread.  Had she kept her word and not entered a Walmart again we would not have this thread.

She should have stopped when the deputy told her to.  Her father is wrong about her being perfect.  Thieves aren't perfect.  If she drove off the way it's described in the article it is justified.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[1], was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

At about 10:45 p.m. on October 3, 1974, Memphis Police Department Officers Leslie Wright and Elton Hymon were dispatched to answer a burglary call. next door. Officer Hymon went behind the house as his partner radioed back to the station. Hymon witnessed someone running across the yard. The fleeing suspect, Edward Garner, stopped at a 6-foot-high (1.8 m) chain-link fence. Using his flashlight, Hymon could see Garner's face and hands, and was reasonably sure that Garner was unarmed. The police testified that they believed Garner was 17 or 18 years old; Garner was in fact 15 years old. After Hymon ordered Garner to halt, Garner began to climb the fence. Believing that Garner would certainly flee if he made it over the fence, Hymon shot him. The bullet struck Garner in the back of the head, and he died shortly after an ambulance took him to a nearby hospital. Ten dollars and a purse taken from the burglarized house were found on his body.

Hymon acted according to a Tennessee state statute and official Memphis Police Department policy authorizing deadly force against a fleeing suspect. The statute provided that "if, after notice of the intention to arrest the defendant, he either flee or forcibly resist, the officer may use all the necessary means to effect the arrest."

Garner's father then brought suit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee under the Civil Rights Act of 1871, 42 U.S.C. § 1983, naming the City of Memphis, its mayor, the Memphis Police Department, its director, and Officer Hymon as defendants. The District Court found the statute, and Hymon's actions, to be constitutional. On appeal, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit reversed. The Court of Appeals held that the killing of a fleeing suspect is a "seizure" for the purposes of the Fourth Amendment, and is therefore constitutional only when it is reasonable. The court then found that based on the facts in this case, the Tennessee statute failed to properly limit the use of deadly force by reference to the seriousness of the felony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Campbell, an off-duty Harris County Sheriff’s deputy, was alerted by in-store security that Frey, Tisa Andrews and Yolanda Craig (pictured below) had been observed hiding items in their purses. When the 26-year veteran confronted the trio, they ran for their car in the parking lot where two small children awaited their return.

The women entered the vehicle, but Campbell did not give up the chase. He opened the door and commanded that they exit, at which point the driver of the car accelerated and attempted to drive off.

“I think it knocked him off balance and, in fear of his life and being ran over, he discharged his weapon at that point,’ said Thomas Gilliland, Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

AGAIN... this guy was working private security.

He opened the door. Let's assume he saw who was in the car.

Is life so cheap now that we can KILL people because it is ALLEDGED that they stole something? :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
Campbell, an off-duty Harris County Sheriff’s deputy, was alerted by in-store security that Frey, Tisa Andrews and Yolanda Craig (pictured below) had been observed hiding items in their purses. When the 26-year veteran confronted the trio, they ran for their car in the parking lot where two small children awaited their return.

The women entered the vehicle, but Campbell did not give up the chase. He opened the door and commanded that they exit, at which point the driver of the car accelerated and attempted to drive off.

“I think it knocked him off balance and, in fear of his life and being ran over, he discharged his weapon at that point,’ said Thomas Gilliland, Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

Is life so cheap now that we can KILL people because it is ALLEDGED that they stole something? :shrug:

I remember writing a story a few years back about a store clerk fatally shooting a person who robbed his business.

Apparently the alleged thief was on bike fleeing the store when the clerk pulled out a gun and shot the guy in the back. The clerk wasn't charged in that case, according to police.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:15:38 AM by Devin »

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:56:21 AM »
THIS is the only place in the civilized world where these types of killings happen.

EVERYBODY who wants can have a gun... and in a LOT of States now all they have to say is "I was afraid for my life" to litterally get away with murder. >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • BEWARE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:04:57 AM »
I'm about to get one my damn self.

Folks ain't getting me six feet deep with that bullchit.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[1], was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force only to prevent escape if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

At about 10:45 p.m. on October 3, 1974, Memphis Police Department Officers Leslie Wright and Elton Hymon were dispatched to answer a burglary call. next door. Officer Hymon went behind the house as his partner radioed back to the station. Hymon witnessed someone running across the yard. The fleeing suspect, Edward Garner, stopped at a 6-foot-high (1.8 m) chain-link fence. Using his flashlight, Hymon could see Garner's face and hands, and was reasonably sure that Garner was unarmed. The police testified that they believed Garner was 17 or 18 years old; Garner was in fact 15 years old. After Hymon ordered Garner to halt, Garner began to climb the fence. Believing that Garner would certainly flee if he made it over the fence, Hymon shot him. The bullet struck Garner in the back of the head, and he died shortly after an ambulance took him to a nearby hospital. Ten dollars and a purse taken from the burglarized house were found on his body.

Hymon acted according to a Tennessee state statute and official Memphis Police Department policy authorizing deadly force against a fleeing suspect. The statute provided that "if, after notice of the intention to arrest the defendant, he either flee or forcibly resist, the officer may use all the necessary means to effect the arrest."

Garner's father then brought suit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee under the Civil Rights Act of 1871, 42 U.S.C. § 1983, naming the City of Memphis, its mayor, the Memphis Police Department, its director, and Officer Hymon as defendants. The District Court found the statute, and Hymon's actions, to be constitutional. On appeal, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit reversed. The Court of Appeals held that the killing of a fleeing suspect is a "seizure" for the purposes of the Fourth Amendment, and is therefore constitutional only when it is reasonable. The court then found that based on the facts in this case, the Tennessee statute failed to properly limit the use of deadly force by reference to the seriousness of the felony.

The above has nothing to do with the OP.  

cholly, it is apparent you didn't read the part about the driver accelerating and driving off after being commanded to exit the vehicle.  BTW, he's a deputy 24/7.  He still has arrest powers.  He is still law enforcement.  He was not wearing cholly's National Security shirt and tin badge.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
A guy in Dekalb Co got killed right after Thanksgiving when security and Wal Mart employees beat him down in the parking lot after he stole a DVD player.

Makes no sense, especially with huge corporations like Wal Mart - they have accounted for theft in their costs.

In my short stint at Bath and Body Works over 10 years ago I was told if they get out of the door let them go - shoot, I'm not gonna restrain anybody anyway - it isn't mine ....  I will be a witness if/when they get caught, but that's it.

This is just senseless. :no:
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »
y04185, I think Tennessee v. Garner is clearly relevant to this discussion.

The case stands for the proposition that a law enforcement officer is justified to use deadly force to prevent a suspect from escaping only when the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I'm not buying

Sounds like a cover your arse explanation to me.  :shrug:

The ultimate question is whether the use of force was reasonable. In this instance, I don't believe that it was.

Justice White wrote for the majority, first agreeing with the Sixth Circuit's determination that apprehension by use of deadly force is a seizure, then framing the legal issue as whether the totality of the circumstances justified the seizure. In order to determine the constitutionality of a seizure, White reasoned, the court must weigh the nature of the intrusion of the suspect's Fourth Amendment rights against the government interests which justified the intrusion.

The use of deadly force against a subject is the most intrusive type of seizure possible, because it deprives the suspect of his life, and White held that the state failed to present evidence that its interest in shooting unarmed fleeing suspects outweighs the suspect's interest in his own survival.

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
lost of life over some WAL-CHINA-MART SCHIT
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • BEWARE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »

In my short stint at Bath and Body Works over 10 years ago I was told if they get out of the door let them go - shoot, I'm not gonna restrain anybody anyway - it isn't mine ....  I will be a witness if/when they get caught, but that's it.

Thats how it was when I worked at Wilson's Suede & Leather when I was in college [one of my many part-time gigs] and at K&G men's store. They wanted us to WATCH folks but not go after folks.  JT wasn't doing NEITHER ONE. Hell, I was there for my dang employee discount. WHAT I LOOK LIKE? KOJACK?   ;D

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
YOU NEED A LOLLIPOP....THEN YO AZZZZ WILL LOOK LIKE KOJACK  :snicker
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News