News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Samuel Jackson video to support Obama  (Read 1452 times)

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Samuel Jackson video to support Obama
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Jackson video to support Obama
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
AGREE WITH THE MESSAGE, JUST NOT WITH THE MESSENGER.  WTF WAS HE THINKING?
2X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2019 & 2020

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
AGREE WITH THE MESSAGE, JUST NOT WITH THE MESSENGER.  WTF WAS HE THINKING?
There is a friendlier version.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
AGREE WITH THE MESSAGE, JUST NOT WITH THE MESSENGER.  WTF WAS HE THINKING?

I DO NOT SEE THE WISDOM OF HIS EVEN MAKING THIS PROFANE VERSION, MUCH LESS ALLOWING IT TO BE POSTED.  AGAIN I ASK THE SAME QUESTON.  WTFU WAS HE THINKING?  WHICH VERSION DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO GET THE MOST ATTENTION?  BTW, IT WAS A STORY ON MSNBC, ALREADY.  SOME PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE COMMON SENSE GOD GAVE A PETUNIA. ...AND NOW I PLACE SAM JACKSON IN THAT CATEGORY NO MATTER HOW WELL MEANING HE WAS.  WHAT AN IDIOT!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:37:39 PM by CIAA-FAN »

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »

I DO NOT SEE THE WISDOM OF HIS EVEN MAKING THIS PROFANE VERSION, MUCH LESS ALLOWING IT TO BE POSTED.  AGAIN I ASK THE SAME QUESTON.  WTFU WAS HE THINKING?  WHICH VERSION DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO GET THE MOST ATTENTION?  BTW, IT WAS A STORY ON MSNBC, ALREADY.  SOME PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE COMMON SENSE GOD GAVE A PETUNIA. ...AND NOW I PLACE SAM JACKSON IN THAT CATEGORY NO MATTER HOW WELL MEANING HE WAS.  WHAT AN IDIOT!
He was not trying to appeal to you or I , they are leaving no stones unturned.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »

He was not trying to appeal to you or I , they are leaving no stones unturned.

THEN WHO DO YOU THINK HE WAS TRYING TO APPEAL TO?

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
IMO, the appeal is to youth voters and Jackson is playing one of his movie characters.

It explains sh!t for that demographic just like Clinton explained sh!t to older folks.

I found it funny as he[[ and I don't think it will have ANY negative consequences for the campaign.  (I assume that it was done by a PAC or some other independent group OR Comedy Central staff!)

I am hoping that a bunch of folks who are "disillusioned" because the Prez has "not been able to get Repubs to work with him" or Guantanamo is not closed  ::) or some other ridiculous BS will wake TFU and then contribute, work on the campaign and vote.

This funny video won't stop anyone from voting for the Prez and it just might WTFU a few thousand people in swing states.
O0

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
^^^EXACTLY!!!

It's both strategic AND tactical at the SAME time.  :nod:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
 :lol:...........yeah, rather agree w/what B66 states here^^^.

I didn't find the video particularly offensive, and it may actually even be helpful to get folks' attention and explain in graphic terms what this presidential election means and why it so important.

Additionally, the expression "WTFU" has become so commonplace and PERVASIVE in the American culture that even to speak the words is not NEARLY as offensive as it was, say, even ten years ago.

I'm sure some parents will "squirm" at the sight of the little girl at the end articulating the same "warning" that Jackson does throughout the piece. But that is really MILD compared to the GARBAGE these kids are exposed to on a daily basis.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:34:14 AM by Strike79 »

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
BTW, I LOOOOOOOVE Sarah Silverman. Not only is she deceptively intellegent and politically active, she's cute and FINE to boot. :nod:

This is HER work you know.  :clap:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »
Leave it to Samuel L. Jackson to keep it real.  In an interview with Ebony Magazine, the actor has no shame in his game that he voted for President Obama because of his race:

“I voted for Barack because he was black,” Jackson revealed. “‘Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them.”

Jackson then goes on to say:

“That’s American politics, pure and simple.   [Obama’s] message didn’t mean sh*t to me. In the end, he’s a politician. I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do. I know politicians say sh*t; they lie. ’Cuz they want to get elected.”

http://theurbandaily.com/1778055/samuel-l-jackson-i-voted-for-obama-because-he-was-black/

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
AGAIN, I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH THE MESSAGE, JUST NOT THE WAY IT WAS PRESENTED.  WOULD NOT WANT MY 10 AND 8 YEAR OLD GRANDKIDS TO WATCH IT.  WHAT CONCERNS ME IS NOT HOW IT IMPACTS OBAMA SUPPORTERS, BUT OBAMA DETRACTORS.  THE RACE IS STILL NOT WON AND I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THOSE GOP A--HOLES ANY AMMUNITION TO USE AGAINST THE POTUS.

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »
Leave it to Samuel L. Jackson to keep it real.  In an interview with Ebony Magazine, the actor has no shame in his game that he voted for President Obama because of his race:

“I voted for Barack because he was black,” Jackson revealed. “‘Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them.”

Jackson then goes on to say:

“That’s American politics, pure and simple.   [Obama’s] message didn’t mean sh*t to me. In the end, he’s a politician. I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do. I know politicians say sh*t; they lie. ’Cuz they want to get elected.”

http://theurbandaily.com/1778055/samuel-l-jackson-i-voted-for-obama-because-he-was-black/

Devin, thanks!
That really puts it in context, too.

And, Strike, Yes Mrs. Bison66 didn't like the language and especially when repeated by the little girl at the end.  I thought THAT was (style wise) gratuitous, but not a concern for me.
FAN,
How do you "fear" the fRight could exploit this video?
Is it a bigger vulnerability than "god" not being mentioned in the Dem platform?  I ask that to make the point that I don't think the Repubs are making much hay with that one.
O0

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule