News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Trayvon's Death is Tragic...but what about Black on Black Crime?  (Read 7571 times)

Offline House Rules

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
I understand the outpouring of support for Trayvon Martin.  It was a senseless tragedy.  I'm also concerned that folks are not up in arms when there's black on black crime.  No marches.  No (concerned) media coverage.  No Black Panthers.  No church protests.  No blogging.  No Facebook.

This type of crime is the REAL epidemic. 

Folks are getting up in arms because Trayvon's life is obviously considered less important because of no arrest, and the callous disregard of the Sanford police, along with the arrogance of Zimmerman, and the lack of backbone by the (black) city manager.

God bless Trayvon's soul....but I'm not caught up in this story because for me, there's a bigger picture.  I wonder when we're going to LOVE one another.  EXPECT more, REQUIRE more, GIVE more.  Hold ourselves responsible when we do wrong...don't let someone else cause you to react in order to show them what our lives are worth. That type of misguided thinking cheapens the lives of black men and women across America.

Oh wait...stop the presses...'cause there is a white woman missing.  News at 11.  Meanwhile, brothers are STILL killing brothers, and most blacks are satisfied to treat it like business as usual.  Hypocrites?  Yes, I said it.  Can you tell me the name of the young South Carolina black woman who killed her kids recently?

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Trayvon's Death is Tragic...but what about Black on Black Crime?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
So when we do eventually talk about black-on-black crime are folks going to then demand we talk about George Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin?

We always talk about black-on-black crime.  We're always talking about why is this generation of black people have no qualms about blastin' cats in the street, robbing, breaking into folks houses and vandalizing property that is not their own.

The (local) news reports about black-on-black crime all the time.  The local newspapers reports incidents of black-on-black crime.

Heck, I've been reporting on local incidents of black-on-black crime for five years now.

I live in a city where every time there is a wave of violence around various black communities, the nearby church or some anti-violence organization holds a rally or march in the hood demanding the public take back their communities.

This particular story is important (not that the others aren't) because this kid was killed by a rogue rent-a-cop who claimed self defense after he initiated the confrontation from jump. Then the police completely botched the investigation, which allowed the shooter to walk.

Heck, Martin's parents didn't know the kid was dead for several hours.  And he was only yards from his pop's crib.

The injustice here is just egregious.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:46:13 PM by Devin »

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »
When blacks get caught, they go to jail.  In this case, the killer didn't go to jail.  Know your history or you will be doom to repeat it. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
I understand the outpouring of support for Trayvon Martin.  It was a senseless tragedy.  I'm also concerned that folks are not up in arms when there's black on black crime.  No marches.  No (concerned) media coverage.  No Black Panthers.  No church protests.  No blogging.  No Facebook.

Folks are getting up in arms because Trayvon's life is obviously considered less important because of no arrest, and the callous disregard of the Sanford police, along with the arrogance of Zimmerman, and the lack of backbone by the (black) city manager.

God bless Trayvon's soul....but I'm not caught up in this story because for me, there's a bigger picture.  I wonder when we're going to LOVE one another.  EXPECT more, REQUIRE more, GIVE more.  Hold ourselves responsible when we do wrong...don't let someone else cause you to react in order to show them what our lives are worth. That type of misguided thinking cheapens the lives of black men and women across America.

Oh wait...stop the presses...'cause there is a white woman missing.  News at 11.  Meanwhile, brothers are STILL killing brothers, and most blacks are satisfied to treat it like business as usual.  Hypocrites?  Yes, I said it.  Can you tell me the name of the young South Carolina black woman who killed her kids recently?

It never ceases to amaze me whenever there is a call for justice someone comes out of the woodwork with the black on black crime issue.  IMHO, that is nothing more than a distraction from the issue at hand.  The outrage IMHO is not about the crime itself because crime has been with us since the Cain slew Abel.  While Martin's death is a tragedy, I think the outrage is more with what happened after the crime was committed.  There is not a real black person who believes had the roles been reversed the sequence of events with the investigation would not have been vastly different.  Justice does not seem to be the same in America if you are black.

Black on black crime is a serious issue no doubt.  But the Martin tragedy is not IMHO the platform to spout off about it. :shrug:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:45:53 PM by Que82 »
AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 1 NCAA DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93.

Offline dragon601713

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:16 PM »
Lane can be used as a good example for this topic. The students marched downtown to city hall wanting assistance from the city to help protect the campus.
LC!! YOU KNOW!

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »

Heck, Martin's parents didn't know the kid was dead for several hours.  And he was only yards from his pop's crib.

The Martin family also criticized the Sanford police department for failing to identify their son more quickly. Martin's body was left in the morgue for three days, classified as a "John Doe." The family charges that officers didn't bother to ask neighbors if they recognized Martin, who had been staying with his father in the neighborhood.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-chief-trayvon-martin-case-resigns-temporarily-amid/story?id=15977847#.T3EudXJ4FtE

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
If the shooter had been arrested it would have been end of story for the most part. The biggest issue here was the gross neglect of the police department.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »
Capler, indeed, that IS the issue that is most upsetting here, not to mention how Zimmerman hunted this kid down and then wants to claim self-defense. But if you kill, hell, lying is a piece of cake isn't it.

And this silly notion that we do not care about Black-on-Black crime is absurd and insulting. Of course, we care about it, we speak on it ALL of the time. Why it hasn't reached the epic proportions of a case like this? BECAUSE BLACK a--ES GET ARRESTED, AND SOMETIMES THE WRONG ONES ARE ARRESTED, TRIED AND CONVICTED. REGARDLESS, SOMEBODY IS GETTING ARRESTED - PERIOD!!! But there is no failure from the police to at minimum, pursue an investigation and arrest and lock up a culprit.

So, I really wish the what about Black-on-Black-crime bloggers would sit down and shut up since they obviously aren't speaking up about it themselves except in playing Devil's advocate in this particular case.

::)

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »
So when we do eventually talk about black-on-black crime are folks going to then demand we talk about George Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin?

We always talk about black-on-black crime.  We're always talking about why is this generation of black people have no qualms about blastin' cats in the street, robbing, breaking into folks houses and vandalizing property that is not their own.

The (local) news reports about black-on-black crime all the time.  The local newspapers reports incidents of black-on-black crime.

Heck, I've been reporting on local incidents of black-on-black crime for five years now.

I live in a city where every time there is a wave of violence around various black communities, the nearby church or some anti-violence organization holds a rally or march in the hood demanding the public take back their communities.

This particular story is important (not that the others aren't) because this kid was killed by a rogue rent-a-cop who claimed self defense after he initiated the confrontation from jump. Then the police completely botched the investigation, which allowed the shooter to walk.

The injustice here is just egregious.

THANK YOU!!!

:clap: :bow: :clap:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
If the shooter had been arrested it would have been end of story for the most part. The biggest issue here was the gross neglect of the police department.

EXACTLY!!!

The actions of the supervising officer on the scene that night border on criminal. The cover-up to conceal his gross incompetence IS. >:(

And rather than FACING their shortcommings and admitting that they bungled the investigation, now the SPD is compounding the problem by leaking information to JUSTIFY their absolutely inexcusable lack of professionalism.

I say fire any and EVERYONE involved in this case. PERIOD!!! >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
When blacks get caught, they go to jail.  In this case, the killer didn't go to jail.  Know your history or you will be doom to repeat it. 

EXACTLY!!!  :clap: :bow: :clap:

Some people just DELIBERATELY don't understand this point... DELIBERATELY.  >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »
I understand the outpouring of support for Trayvon Martin.  It was a senseless tragedy.  I'm also concerned that folks are not up in arms when there's black on black crime.  No marches.  No (concerned) media coverage.  No Black Panthers.  No church protests.  No blogging.  No Facebook.

God bless Trayvon's soul....but I'm not caught up in this story because for me, there's a bigger picture.  I wonder when we're going to LOVE one another.  EXPECT more, REQUIRE more, GIVE more.  Hold ourselves responsible when we do wrong...don't let someone else cause you to react in order to show them what our lives are worth. That type of misguided thinking cheapens the lives of black men and women across America.

Oh wait...stop the presses...'cause there is a white woman missing.  News at 11.  Meanwhile, brothers are STILL killing brothers, and most blacks are satisfied to treat it like business as usual.  Hypocrites?  Yes, I said it.  Can you tell me the name of the young South Carolina black woman who killed her kids recently?

It never ceases to amaze me whenever there is a call for justice someone comes out of the woodwork with the black on black crime issue.  IMHO, that is nothing more than a distraction from the issue at hand.  The outrage IMHO is not about the crime itself because crime has been with us since the Cain slew Abel.  While Martin's death is a tragedy, I think the outrage is more with what happened after the crime was committed.  There is not a real black person who believes had the roles been reversed the sequence of events with the investigation would not have been vastly different.  Justice does not seem to be the same in America if you are black.

Black on black crime is a serious issue no doubt.  But the Martin tragedy is not IMHO the platform to spout off about it. :shrug:

EXACTLY!!!
 :clap: :bow: :clap:

SAY IT LOUDER!!! >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline House Rules

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »

^^^^^^^
Wow...how dare someone disagree with the popular theme of the day. After further review, you should glean my support for the child.  Hey, I'm for justice as well. 

What I'm saying here, is that if you are going to make notions about "the black community, or our community", as we telegraph our disdain for injustice in a one dimensional point of view where the masses can only mass, but cannot operate like an advanced culture, business, enterprise (why did the child stay in the morgue unidentified for 3 days?  Why haven't radio stations, black Florida elected officials protested this recently passed law? You don't for one minute believe the law was written to protect a black child walking down the street with an iced tea and skittles, did you?  Did anyone coach the family on damage control prior to the suspension/marijuana news?)  then I suggest you're continuing to be a "reactionary" culture, instead of a proactive one. 

We should honor this child's soul, while still demanding that lives that reach their demise at the hands of our own people are just as important.

It's about uplift, Que 82.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »
 :nono2:

AGAIN, as Devin so deftly pointed out, you proceed from a faulty assumption.

We DO discuss our issues ALL THE TIME.

THIS sir, is totally and completely different; you should understand that.

Now is neither the time NOR the place for the issue of black-on-black crime.

The fact that some are using the Trayvon Martin murder as an excuse to throw this issue in our faces only shows the effectiveness of right-wing talking points and the gulibility of some people for parroting them.  :tiptoe:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »
Can you tell me the name of the young South Carolina black woman who killed her kids recently?

Yes. Her name is Shaquan. We discussed her on this site. I do believe she is in police custody too!

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule