News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Report: Iran's Closure of Waterway Would Provoke US Response  (Read 471 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Report: Iran's Closure of Waterway Would Provoke US Response
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:41:34 AM »
The New York Times is quoting unnamed U.S. officials as saying Washington has sent a message to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, that closing the Strait of Hormuz would provoke a U.S. response.

The report published late Thursday said the covert message was not delivered through the the Swiss government, the usual way Washington communicates with Iranian leaders.

Iran recently threatened to close the narrow waterway, a vital shipping route for the global oil trade. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said earlier this week that the threat is "provocative and dangerous."

U.S.-Iran tensions are also high over the assassination of a top Iranian nuclear scientist in a bomb attack in Tehran Wednesday. Iran blames the United States and Israel and is demanding the U.N. Security Council condemn the murder.

Israel and the United States deny involvement. But U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday U.S. officials have some ideas who may be responsible.

Western nations have been stepping up pressure on Iran to end its nuclear enrichment program, which they say is part of a drive to develop nuclear weapons. Iran insists its nuclear program is entirely peaceful.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Re: Report: Iran's Closure of Waterway Would Provoke US Response
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
The Mullahs are operating on a different wavelength.  It will be interesting to see how the Ayatollah reacts to this warning message.

Meanwhile, the covert actions are on-going, I am sure.
O0

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF THEY TRY TO CLOSE THE STRAITS OF HORMUZ.  THEY IMMEDIATELY LOSE MOST OF THEIR FOREIGN OIL INCOME.  ...NOT TO MENTION THEIR ENTIRE NATION BEING LIT UP LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE INCLUDING ANYTHING THAT EVEN REMOTELY RESEMBLES A NUCLEAR WEAPONS FACILITY.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:23 AM »
Such action would also tick off other Muslim countries in the region, but....

As I said, the Mullahs in Iran are on a different wavelength.
O0

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule