News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: MORE HAZING!!! When will it stop!?!?  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: MORE HAZING!!! When will it stop!?!?
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
This is what makes me question your intentions.  

"Many of you who have secretly in the past participated in the "hazing, going over, taking someone over" should asked yourselves, how close did we comrades come to having this same aforementioned incident happen to us. Where would I be today?   Just think about it. "

How is that in anyway relevant with this thread????  Sounds like finger pointing to me. :shrug: That plus the less watered down version you posted before gives me reason for pause and makes me question your motivation.

Movin right along. :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:06:43 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
784.03  Battery; felony battery.—

(1)(a)  The offense of battery occurs when a person:

1.  Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

2.  Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

(b)  Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who commits battery commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/Web/Statutes/FS09/CH0784/Section_0784.03.HTM

I don't think pledges would want to be struck if they felt like they had the choice.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »

1.  Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

(b)  Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who commits battery commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/Web/Statutes/FS09/CH0784/Section_0784.03.HTM

I don't think pledges would want to be struck if they felt like they had the choice.
lol. . you'd be surprised, then.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »

Well the ones with "common sense" lol.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »

EXACTLY!!!

By merely BEING THERE those pledges indicate a willingness to participate in whatever happens.  :shrug:

Which is why I HAVE to point out yet again, that both Hunter AND Champion KNEW what they were doing. They knew it was wrong, they knew it was against the rules, and they knew the consequences. Unfortunately, their poor judgement and the even WORSE judgement of their hazing cohort resulted in great physical harm and death.  >:(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »

"Many of you who have secretly in the past participated in the "hazing, going over, taking someone over" should asked yourselves, how close did we comrades come to having this same aforementioned incident happen to us. Where would I be today?   Just think about it. "

How is that in anyway relevant with this thread????  Sounds like finger pointing to me. :shrug: That plus the less watered down version you posted before gives me reason for pause and makes me question your motivation.

Not finger pointing but looking at the broader picture of this incident and past.  No one on this board has you in mind, "doth thee protest too much".  Was a nerve hit?    A another poster said  these students are willing participants and should in the future he held accountable for the willingness to suffer just to belong.  This was a band incident, however it could just as easily been fraternal in nature.  The entire culture of hazing should be abolished but no one is attacking you personally or your organization. My friends who happen to be in your frat were consulted and they said there would be those who would read more into my comments and take it personally. No problem, but you should look at it the way it was intended  because you are shadow boxing in the ring alone. 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »

Not finger pointing but looking at the broader picture of this incident and past.  No one on this board has you in mind, "doth thee protest too much".  Was a nerve hit?    A another poster said  these students are willing participants and should in the future he held accountable for the willingness to suffer just to belong.  This was a band incident, however it could just as easily been fraternal in nature.  The entire culture of hazing should be abolished but no one is attacking you personally or your organization. My friends who happen to be in your frat were consulted and they said there would be those who would read more into my comments and take it personally. No problem, but you should look at it the way it was intended  because you are shadow boxing in the ring alone. 

Evidently you didn't read this message board much before you registered otherwise you would know that I challenge anything and anybody who posts something I don't agree with. I didn't take anything personally, I just didn't think your statement was relevant to the topic.  Please explain how your statement I highlighted relates to the current situation/topic.
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
Because the post is about the pervasive nature of hazing in bands and the dangers of hazing?  :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »
Because the post is about the pervasive nature of hazing in bands and the dangers of hazing?  :shrug:

Cholly how does what happened 30 years ago become relevant to this topic now????  There was no intake then, and I am no longer in my twenties.  There are a lot of judgments I made in my twenties I wouldn't make now and being hazed or allowing it is not one of them.  That point was pure and simple finger pointing IMHO and no matter how folk try to dress it up it is not relevant as stated.  I have asked for an explanation of its relevance to today's problem which I await with baited breath. :nod:

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
I was warned it would be a touchy subject and my calls are "I told you so" about our diehards.  But is does not matter since this epiphany created it own questions and guidelines for  the Hunters and Champions will open their eyes and not participate in this nonsense in the future. I don't, for one moment, feel the resulting scenario was intentional.  But deadly.  Que, No one said I had to be a long standing poster to have an opinion.  Primogeniture is not a prerequisite. Continue sparing in the ring with yourself and have a great day.   :tiptoe: 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
I was warned it would be a touchy subject and my calls are "I told you so" about our diehards.  But is does not matter since this epiphany created it own questions and guidelines for  the Hunters and Champions will open their eyes and not participate in this nonsense in the future. I don't, for one moment, feel the resulting scenario was intentional.  But deadly.  Que, No one said I had to be a long standing poster to have an opinion.  Primogeniture is not a prerequisite. Continue sparing in the ring with yourself and have a great day.   :tiptoe:  

As I thought you deflect but do not provide the requested  information. You talk about me being a diehard  as if you know me. How is asking for an explanation sparring???? You have yet to explain how that statement fits on the dialog. Cholly has done his best to cover for you while you have only dodged the question.  It seems like I must have hit the mark on that agenda thing.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:35:07 PM by Que82 »

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
^^^So how do we turn a negative into a positive?

When I was in the undergrad chapter decades ago I had the red teardrop on my sleeve. NOW when I see a young brother with that foolishness I not only talk to him, but all the other brothers with him and WARN them that mess is not only no longer tolerated, but illegal. I can speak to them as a voice of experience, as well as the voice of a brother who is looking out for their best interests.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
For the most part, hazing seems to be occurring at the undergrad level.  It is my opinion that undergrads should select/accept candidates and grad chapter should be responsible for intake.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
^^^That's one way to do it.  :nod:

As you said, most 19-20 year olds just don't have the judgement and experience to always do the right thing.

Don't know how to apply to bands though...

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule