News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Maxine Waters (Dem. CA) responds to President Obama  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
Re: Maxine Waters (Dem. CA) responds to President Obama
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
And I'm sick of AAs who want to act as though AAs can't/shouldn't voice their opinions simply because the president is AA. No one is discouraging voting. AAs have ALWAYS had an issue about voting - don't let it rain or snow. Maybe he should take his own advice - attempt to LEAD and take the fight to the streets - that will do more to encourage voting than his seeming fear of a fight... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline aggiegrad2009

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
And I'm sick of AAs who want to act as though AAs can't/shouldn't voice their opinions simply because the president is AA. No one is discouraging voting. AAs have ALWAYS had an issue about voting - don't let it rain or snow. Maybe he should take his own advice - attempt to LEAD and take the fight to the streets - that will do more to encourage voting than his seeming fear of a fight... :nod:

:nod:

Knocking down the competition one game at a time!!!!!!

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
2012 election will be very interesting. As I said before, one cannot compromise with the devil. His so called team of advisers have helped railroad him on purpose. The other alternative will set the country back in regards to race relations and rescue of the middle class 65 years. The choice will have to be made. We as a people spent 5 Billion dollars that could have been used to help create jobs. Our ancestors may not have had degrees but they had good common sense and faith. They were independent and interdependent. They understood the importance of not relying on a system that had never had their best interest at heart. The sentiment in this country has been slowing turning since the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980. Some of us have been on top of it, but the masses sometimes have been too busy not surveying the landscape. Everything that is happening now was forecast and written in books as far back as 1983. These "forecasts" were plans for targeted and strategic action to take in the future. There are jobs, but they are intentionally being withheld until after the election of 2012. The major corporations blame it on the economic problems which is a lie. The vast majority have runaway profits and could hire millions, but they do not want to until someone is in the White House that will help to repeal the Obama Health Care Reform Act and allow the masses to work with medical benefits or any way to redress a health care system that is rift with problems and abuses and has no care or concern for the average person. We need to stop looking to one person to fix our problems. There needs to be a grassroots effort at the community level to turn around this morass of apathy that we have allowed ourselves as a group to get caught up in. There is not anything that is happening now that is not preplanned. They key is for the dis-satisfaction with Obama by many Blacks to propel them not to vote leading to the eventual and fast repeal of the Voting Rights Act under a new administration. We need to wake up. There is a lot riding on 2012, and there needs to be a new strategy for the Black Community. We have to once again regain that pioneering spirit of our ancestors that were former slaves, independence and interdependence. We need to stop begging for crumbs. Just about everything that is enjoyed in this country was created by a person of color. Many of the inventions that we enjoy were created by black folk. Law, medicine, government, writing, civilization versus barbarianism, surgery, and religion came from the Mother Land, Africa. The Universities that Aristotle and Plato learned from were in Africa, and they learned under the African philosophical minds. We do not need to let HIStory continue to pollute and convolute our directions.

And it all adds up to what?

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »

Still complaining I see.  We seem to be complaing about nothing.  Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion but to degrade and insult the man is not called for.  Somebody even refered to him as a halfbread.  I wonder how you guys will be if you were in Obama's shoes.  Obama is not the enemy.
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline PharoahNupe94

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »
Buying me a gun on October 1, 2012.

Stock up on ammo while you're at it

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »

Still complaining I see.  We seem to be complaing about nothing.  Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion but to degrade and insult the man is not called for.  Somebody even refered to him as a halfbread.  I wonder how you guys will be if you were in Obama's shoes.  Obama is not the enemy.

I have not attacked anyone age; but the truth still holds evident. Quite a number of the CBC have been representing the same districts for 20+ years and they should not be allowed a pass either... what's good for the goose is good for the gander! I dont have to give anyone on here a Civics Lesson, the majority of us on here are college trained and educated, some of you all have marched and fought for equality so you know first hand the political struggles, but how dare you be self-righteous as if all this started today. The first lesson we all learned in Civics is the three branches of governments and their functions. Just like quite a number of black folks, want the president to grow a spine and deal with the GOP like a bully and there are those who want him to forget he is the POTUS and just become the POAA and forget the rest and it is quite a number of these are the same people who did not support Obama until he had won the party nomination.  Obama is a unique position in his presidency and it has a lot to do with the party make up. He got the hard left leaning Yellow Dog democrats(if it aint this way it aint good, it got to be all about the base) and quite a few open Blue Dog Democrats (fiscally conservative) and I am sure a large number of Silent Blue Dog Democrats(Dixiecrats(who democrat in name, but racist at heart) who are right leaning as the day is long.  There is nothing wrong with criticizing the POTUS, but at the same time when he throws in back in your face be man or woman to deal with it...
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »
Now, with Obama’s numbers falling, he has very publicly commanded them to shut up and perform what he believes is their only legitimate function: to get him re-elected.

Very pointedly Obama demand that blacks stop bugging their president about the economic catastrophe that has befallen them, and his own role in it. Stop complaining that black unemployment is 16 percent. Stop complaining that one in five blacks has no health insurance. Stop complaining that two out of ten African Americans, and three out of ten black children, live in poverty.

In the looming contest, he will again resort to black-baiting whenever it is useful to shore up white support. In that –- as with his foreign and domestic policies –-- Obama is no different than white corporate politicians. His one great distinction, is to have a core constituency that cares more for his security and dignity, than their own.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Welp we always have Herman Caine.   :lol:

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
Now, with Obama’s numbers falling, he has very publicly commanded them to shut up and perform what he believes is their only legitimate function: to get him re-elected.

Very pointedly Obama demand that blacks stop bugging their president about the economic catastrophe that has befallen them, and his own role in it. Stop complaining that black unemployment is 16 percent. Stop complaining that one in five blacks has no health insurance. Stop complaining that two out of ten African Americans, and three out of ten black children, live in poverty.

In the looming contest, he will again resort to black-baiting whenever it is useful to shore up white support. In that –- as with his foreign and domestic policies –-- Obama is no different than white corporate politicians. His one great distinction, is to have a core constituency that cares more for his security and dignity, than their own.

I don't think you are fairly characterizing Obama's speech to the Black caucus.

The full text of the speech can be found here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/24/remarks-president-congressional-black-caucus-foundation-annual-phoenix-a

Here's an excerpt from the ending:

Remarks by the President at Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Annual Phoenix Awards Dinner

Even when folks are hitting you over the head, you can’t stop marching.  Even when they’re turning the hoses on you, you can’t stop.  (Applause.)  Even when somebody fires you for speaking out, you can’t stop.  (Applause.)  Even when it looks like there’s no way, you find a way -- you can’t stop.  (Applause.)  Through the mud and the muck and the driving rain, we don’t stop.  Because we know the rightness of our cause -- widening the circle of opportunity, standing up for everybody’s opportunities, increasing each other’s prosperity.  We know our cause is just.  It’s a righteous cause.

So in the face of troopers and teargas, folks stood unafraid.  Led somebody like John Lewis to wake up after getting beaten within an inch of his life on Sunday -- he wakes up on Monday:  We’re going to go march.  (Applause.)

Dr. King once said:  “Before we reach the majestic shores of the Promised Land, there is a frustrating and bewildering wilderness ahead.  We must still face prodigious hilltops of opposition and gigantic mountains of resistance.  But with patient and firm determination we will press on.”  (Applause.)

So I don’t know about you, CBC, but the future rewards those who press on.  (Applause.)  With patient and firm determination, I am going to press on for jobs.  (Applause.)  I'm going to press on for equality.  (Applause.)  I'm going to press on for the sake of our children.  (Applause.)  I'm going to press on for the sake of all those families who are struggling right now.  I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself.  I don’t have time to complain.  I am going to press on.  (Applause.)

I expect all of you to march with me and press on.  (Applause.)  Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes.  Shake it off.  (Applause.)  Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying.  We are going to press on.  We’ve got work to do, CBC.  (Applause.)

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.  (Applause.)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:14:30 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »

Nah, I think my criticism is fair. I mean, this speech, like many others, are nothing more than rally the troop deals. Invoking the name of Dr. King and talking about taking off bedroom slippers in an effort to attempt to relate to the crowd on their level as they hang on every word. Same old, same old we hear from every politician.

I mean, his pronouncement that blacks stop complaining or whatever is the same sentiment that has been shared by his loyal African-American supporters since Obama became president, and even more so after the Department of Labor revealed that black unemployment was around 16-17 percent months ago. 

Many Obama supporters feel any criticism of him -- no matter how legit -- will hurt his chances of being re-elected. My mother told me as much a few weeks ago.

She said, "Why are you giving the enemy (the GOP) ammunition to bring down Obama?"

I'm like, darn, Obama's possible second term in office is more important than the plight of the people right now? I thought as voters in this democratic system, if we didn't like the performance of our leaders that it is our right to express our disenchantment without ridicule. I was under the impression that we are supposed to hold our elected officials accountable.

And Obama sounded like a lot of his supporters (and my mother) in his desire for blacks to stop complaining.

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »

I don't you are fairly characterizing Obama's speech to the Black caucus.

The full text of the speech can be found here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/24/remarks-president-congressional-black-caucus-foundation-annual-phoenix-a

Here's an excerpt from the ending:

Remarks by the President at Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Annual Phoenix Awards Dinner

Even when folks are hitting you over the head, you can’t stop marching.  Even when they’re turning the hoses on you, you can’t stop.  (Applause.)  Even when somebody fires you for speaking out, you can’t stop.  (Applause.)  Even when it looks like there’s no way, you find a way -- you can’t stop.  (Applause.)  Through the mud and the muck and the driving rain, we don’t stop.  Because we know the rightness of our cause -- widening the circle of opportunity, standing up for everybody’s opportunities, increasing each other’s prosperity.  We know our cause is just.  It’s a righteous cause.

So in the face of troopers and teargas, folks stood unafraid.  Led somebody like John Lewis to wake up after getting beaten within an inch of his life on Sunday -- he wakes up on Monday:  We’re going to go march.  (Applause.)

Dr. King once said:  “Before we reach the majestic shores of the Promised Land, there is a frustrating and bewildering wilderness ahead.  We must still face prodigious hilltops of opposition and gigantic mountains of resistance.  But with patient and firm determination we will press on.”  (Applause.)

So I don’t know about you, CBC, but the future rewards those who press on.  (Applause.)  With patient and firm determination, I am going to press on for jobs.  (Applause.)  I'm going to press on for equality.  (Applause.)  I'm going to press on for the sake of our children.  (Applause.)  I'm going to press on for the sake of all those families who are struggling right now.  I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself.  I don’t have time to complain.  I am going to press on.  (Applause.)

I expect all of you to march with me and press on.  (Applause.)  Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes.  Shake it off.  (Applause.)  Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying.  We are going to press on.  We’ve got work to do, CBC.  (Applause.)

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.  (Applause.)

Agreed.  Folks need to listen to the whole speech and not just the tail end provided by fox.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

Still complaining I see.  We seem to be complaing about nothing.  Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion but to degrade and insult the man is not called for.  Somebody even refered to him as a halfbread.  I wonder how you guys will be if you were in Obama's shoes.  Obama is not the enemy.

I'm voicing my opinion (and BTW you certainly don't have to read it) Sorry if you see that as complaining. I certainly didn't call him a half-breed - get your facts straight and take that up with the poster who did.  ::) You don't have to worry about how I would be - I didn't decide to run for president - he did. As for insulting him, how about how he has insulted me - he has betrayed MY trust - and while it may not be the case for YOU, that is the ultimate insult to me... :nod:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:20:53 PM by Golden Kitten »

Teeny and Little

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »

Nah, I think my criticism is fair. I mean, this speech, like many others, are nothing more than rally the troop deals. Invoking the name of Dr. King and talking about taking off bedroom slippers in an effort to attempt to relate to the crowd on their level as they hang on every word. Same old, same old we hear from every politician.

I mean, his pronouncement that blacks stop complaining or whatever is the same sentiment that has been shared by his loyal African-American supporters since Obama became president, and even more so after the Department of Labor revealed that black unemployment was around 16-17 percent months ago.  

Many Obama supporters feel any criticism of him -- no matter how legit -- will hurt his chances of being re-elected. My mother told me as much a few weeks ago.

She said, "Why are you giving the enemy (the GOP) ammunition to bring down Obama?"

I'm like, darn, Obama's possible second term in office is more important than the plight of the people right now? I thought as voters in this democratic system, if we didn't like the performance of our leaders that it is our right to express our disenchantment without ridicule. I was under the impression that we are supposed to hold our elected officials accountable.

And Obama sounded like a lot of his supporters (and my mother) in his desire for blacks to stop complaining.

Maybe it's your mother's opinion that Obama is still "the peoples' " best hope.  You're not being ridiculed. You are being asked to defend your position. The speech was lengthy and touched on many things and you seem to be harping on one aspect of it.

What do you think  Obama should have done to avoid this problem with Black unemployment disparity.

What do you think about the Jobs bill he's proposing now?  
The 60-year scandal

The unemployment lines run through history like a pair of train tracks. Since the 1940s, the jobless rate for blacks in America has held remarkably, if grimly, steady at twice the rate for whites. The question why has vexed and divided economists, historians and sociologists for nearly as long.

http://mobile.salon.com/politics/war_room/2011/07/05/unemployment_scandal/index.html

How is it that President Obama is being blamed for a problem that has existed for decades.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:46:34 AM by Wildman78 »

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »

What do you think Obama should have done to avoid this problem with Black unemployment disparity.

What do you think about the Jobs bill he's proposing now?  

Right after the economy crashed, and the banks were bailed out, Obama should have been trying to push a jobs bill through instead of health care. How can the economy get going if folks don't have jobs to eventually put money back in the into the economy?

Considering that blacks spend more money collectively than any other minority group in this country, it would be important that these people have jobs if you want to have a health economy.

With a buying power of nearly $1 trillion annually, if African-Americans were a country, they’d be the 16th largest country in the world according to The State of the African-American Consumer Report released this month.  Yeah, so it's important that we have jobs and be productive and contribute to this debt-based economic system. It shouldn't have taken until 2011 for the administration to get down to crafting and pushing a jobs bill.  

About the jobs bill: I love the idea of a jobs bills. Let me get that out of the way first.  But like many, I'm concerned about whose going to pay for this, and if it does enough to help everyone that needs a job get one.  

I guess like everyone else, we have to wait and see how it plays out.

Besides, I don't think anyone should blame Obama for 60 years of the historical gap in unemployment. However, he ran on change you can believe in. He said things under his watch things were going to be done differently in Washington than before. If that's where he set the bar, then he has to deliver.

Remember: Obama volunteered for this job. As a result, he's got to take everything that goes along with it. Praise. Criticism. All of it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:08:11 PM by Devin »

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Hindsight is 20-20. It is my understanding that the stimulus bill was supposed to jump start/save the economy and create jobs. This job bill that he is proposing now is viewed by some as just another stimulus bill.  I'll research this but I think that every president since Truman has tried to reform the Health Care Bill, and Obama is the first president to acheive any significant health care reform.

Hindsight is 20-20. It is might understanding that the stimulus bill was supposed to jump start/save the economy and create jobs. This job bill that he is proposing now is viewed by some as just another stimulus bill.  I'll research this but I think that every president since Truman has tried to reform the Health Care Bill, and Obama is the first president to acheive any significant health care reform. That is a pretty big accomplisment in my mind and the minds of many others.

I think I may have added this before your response Devin:

The 60-year scandal

The unemployment lines run through history like a pair of train tracks. Since the 1940s, the jobless rate for blacks in America has held remarkably, if grimly, steady at twice the rate for whites. The question why has vexed and divided economists, historians and sociologists for nearly as long.

http://mobile.salon.com/politics/war_room/2011/07/05/unemployment_scandal/index.html

How is it that President Obama is being blamed for a problem that has existed for decades.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:12:26 AM by Wildman78 »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule