News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Mom gets choice in hit-run case: New trial or probation  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
Mom gets choice in hit-run case: New trial or probation
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:44 AM »
A Cobb County mother who was convicted on three charges after her 4-year-old son was killed by a hit-and-run driver has been given a choice by the judge: 12 months' probation or a new trial.

Raquel Nelson, 30, was convicted earlier this month of homicide by vehicle in the second degree, crossing roadway elsewhere than at crosswalk and reckless conduct in the April 10, 2010 incident where she and her three children were trying to cross four-lane Austell Road to their apartment after getting off a Cobb Community Transit bus.

Nelson’s 4-year-old son was struck by a car and killed. Nelson and her younger daughter suffered minor injuries, and her older daughter was not injured.

Jerry L. Guy, the driver who admitted hitting the child when pleading guilty to hit-and-run, served a six-month sentence. He was released in October and will serve the remainder of a five-year sentence on probation.

Article:
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/mom-gets-choice-in-1042791.html

That she was ever on trial AT ALL is flatout RI-DAYUM-DICULOUS!!!    >:(

WHO IN THE HEYAL WAS ON THIS JURY?
I can just imagine none of the jurors looked like her!

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mom gets choice in hit-run case: New trial or probation
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »
WOW! This is just a horrible situation. Couldn't even imagine of living through my child' death and then having to make a decision like that.

Austell Road... :no:

A hundred years ago, I lived near there--but then it was a different kind of road and a lot less traffic.
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
GAL, she was first sentenced to three years - 3 years?  WHY!!!! She didn't commit a crime or murder anyone. It was an unfortunate accident.  But these Cobb County racists bastids nailed her to the cross while the HIT-N-RUN Driver got 6 mos?  :shrug:  :brickwall:

Talk about a misuse of justice!!! A horrible situation, indeed, made WORSE by the stupid court system.  :no: It really pissses me OFF!  This poor girl has suffered enough already!

Yes, the area has probably 10x more traffic than it did years ago. 

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
Her crime was they jaywalked!  Hardly a crime that warrants 3 yrs.....sad case of prosecuting and bringing folks to trial IMHO.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Her crime was they jaywalked!  Hardly a crime that warrants 3 yrs.....sad case of prosecuting and bringing folks to trial IMHO.

Meanwhile, home invasions, shootings, carjackings and gang activity continues!

THANK GOD THIS POOR CHILD GOT 3 YRS, WE WILL ALL SLEEP SAFER AT NIGHT NOW.

F@#KING IDIOTS!!!!     >:(

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »

A year for each misdameanor count.

I've been saying for YEARS that prosecutors over-charge black people.

I mean... realistically, this should NEVER have even come to trial because she should NOT have been charged.

Or... at the very least, she should have been plea-bargained down from the beginning.

Yeah; she broke the law and as a result her child died.

Don't y'all think that is punishment enough?  :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule