News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Two Related Articles That Put Current Disputes in Some Perspective  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Re: Two Related Articles That Put Current Disputes in Some Perspective
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
SoFlo,

Thank you!

RE:
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said on Thursday that the Constitution may trump the debt ceiling, allowing the administration a way out of the default impasse.

Negotiators are considering gutting the social safety net in exchange for a vote to lift the debt ceiling. Grassley, in a conference call with local reporters, said that there may be another way out.

"There's one thing that hasn't been talked about yet, and I haven't checked on the constitutionality of it -- and I read the Constitution, but I don't remember reading this -- but in the 14th amendment, there's something that says something about the debt of the United States government shall be honored," Grassley said, according to a recording of the call. "The 14th Amendment includes a public debt clause that insists the obligations of the government 'shall not be questioned.'"

"So people are looking at the fact that maybe the debt ceiling bill that Congress presumably has to pass for the government to borrow more maybe is contrary to that constitutional provision, and that the administration may take out [loans] on their own -- just to borrow money -- and say that they can ignore the law," he said.

Of course, this is a very interesting issue.
Whatever the ACTUAL, LEGITIMATE Constitutional interpretation for taking this position, IMO it WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR OBAMA TO POLITICALLY SURVIVE taking this position for at least 3 reasons.

1) He voted against extending the Debt Limit, NOT - as far as I know - because it was unconstitutional and, to my knowledge, has never before embraced that position.
2) THE NARRATIVE about Dems in general does not give him a solid footing IN THE PUBLIC PERCEPTION for taking a strong stand based on a Constitutional PRINCIPAL
3) THE RIGHT WING NARRATIVE (most recently reflected in Rove's PAC's ads re: no more "blank check") about Obama acting like a dictator would be "confirmed" by an action or threat of action by the President that essentially says he can continue spending (even based on laws passed by the Congress) without action by the Congress

Of course, the racial animosities that underlie SOME of the opposition to Obama would be inflamed - possibly to a point of violence.

If the President were to embrace what seems a reasonable interpretation of the 14th Amendment - WITHOUT wide and deep support from Repubs and Tea's - it would be his political end.

IMO
O0

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
^^^To that end, I'm thinking that he's going to go "all in" (for the good of the country), calling their bluff and pushing them to show their hand...

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
SoFlo,

My heart hopes he does. ^^
My mind is deeply concerned about the consequences of even a flirtation with a default, which could put a fragile recovery into a tailspin.
O0

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
From my view, his track record has shown that he deal with them like he deals with wayward children. He tells them what they're doing wrong, what they need to do to make it right, then allow them to either bump their heads and suffer the consequences, or follow his instructions and succeed.  :shrug:

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
 :nod:

O0

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule