News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Congressional Black Caucus Members Criticize Obama On Unemployment  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Members of the Congressional Black Caucus on Thursday publicly accused the Obama administration of failing to adequately address a veritable epidemic of African American unemployment.

"Can you imagine a situation where any other group of workers, if 34 percent of white women were out there looking for work and couldn't find it?" asked Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, a Missouri Democrat and chairman of the caucus. "You would see congressional hearings and community gatherings. There would be rallies and protest marches. There is no way that this would be allowed to stand." ...........................

Debate about the ability of a universal job creation strategy to address persistent and disproportionate African American unemployment occupied a significant portion of Thursday's gathering. So too did concerns about the political feasibility of any sort of effort to target black joblessness, the public's appetite for programs that may look and sound like affirmative action and common assumptions about why so many black people do not have jobs.....................

In March, the White House's chief economic adviser, Austan Goolsbee, told The Huffington Post that it seemed virtually impossible that the White House would be able to wrestle any additional spending -- including spending to create jobs -- out of Congress.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/congressional-black-caucus-unemployment_n_892702.html?ir=Business

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
More complaining from the 'woe is us' CBC.  Why don't they come up with something to lower the Black unemployment rate? 

My bad.  They have nothing.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
More complaining from the 'woe is us' CBC.  Why don't they come up with something to lower the Black unemployment rate?  

My bad.  They have nothing.

I was wondering had any member of the CBC drafted or sponsored legislation to address the disparate Black unemployment rate.

If they had drafted something and Obama declined to  support it, the CBC would be justified in criticizing the president.  However, if they are expecting the President to take the lead on addressing Black unemployment, then I have to agree with y04185.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:41:18 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
About the CBC Jobs Initiative

Unemployment in the African American community continues to hover devastating highs with a reported 16.2% unemployment.  It is time for action on the most important issue of our time—economic opportunity, jobs!  Every American deserves the right to be gainfully employed in order to take care of their family and pursue the American dream.  Over 100 days into the 112th Congress, the Republican Leadership has critically failed the American people by not following through on their promise to create jobs.  However, the Congressional Black Caucus is committed to that right and will not rest until there is parity in access to economic opportunity.

To address the unemployment crisis and the need for job creation solutions in undeserved communities, the Congressional Black Caucus called upon private and public sector partners to immediately remedy the crisis by going into communities with legitimate, immediate employment opportunities for the underserved.  Additionally, the Caucus is reaching out to communities to receive their proposed solutions, advice, and ideas on how best to immediately address the crisis.  

The Caucus is implementing a three-pronged strategy to address the economic crisis in vulnerable communities:

hosting town hall meetings and job fairs in hardest hit, economically distressed areas to provide opportunities for people to be connected to real employment opportunities as well as provide community members to offer feedback on upcoming CBC proposals;

introducing legislation that will create tangible, legitimate job opportunities; and

drafting a report that includes the outcome from each community visited and solutions for long-term job creation and economic growth.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus will travel the country for the CBC’s For the People Jobs Initiative. Look for us in a city near you!

http://thecongressionalblackcaucus.com/issues/jobs-initiative/about-the-cbc-jobs-initiative/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:00:12 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
If the unemployment rate remains high, the president's re-election campaign will be more difficult-regardless of who the republican nominee is.

True, the GOP in the House have not had a real jobs agenda.  However, in a bad economy the public will blame the president first before Congress, fair or unfair.  Remember 1992?  The president needs to reminds the public that conservative economics since Reagan got us into this mess.  He needs to use the bully pulpit.

----------

As Unemployment Spikes, Obama's Got a Bigger Problem Than the Debt Ceiling
John Nichols
July 8, 2011

The big story out of Washington—and rightly so—is the debt ceiling fight that President Obama seems to be coming very close to losing. If the president abandons his 2008 campaign promise to be an absolute defender of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, he will have very little indeed to run on in 2012.

But that won’t be what beats him.

Because the biggest story in America is a different one from the biggest story in Washington. Americans are not that into the debt ceiling debate. Polling has suggested that less than a quarter of Americans are “closely following” the fight. .....

The issue that Americans have been following closely, and will continue to follow straight through the 2012 election cycle, the issue that tops the polls on the list of concerns, is the jobs crisis. Americans are worried about unemployment and underemployment.

The Los Angeles Times headline was stark: “Dismal Jobs Report Shows Unemployment Rising to 9.2%.”

The 9.2 percent official unemployment rate—up from 9.0 percent two months ago and 9.1 percent a month ago—is only a pale shadow of the real rate. Categorized in official terms as the “U6” unemployment, the real rate includes the offically unemployed as well as Americans who are underemployed and those who have given up on the search for work. It stands at more than 16 percent nationally. And in depressed states, such as Michigan (which Obama carried handily in 2008 but where is approval ratings are now troublingly low), it is well over 20 percent.

The official and the real unemployment rates are devastating. These numbers are some of the worst since the Great Depression. But they are not getting the response that high unemployment rates got from Democrats in the Depression era of other periods of economic downtown in the years since.

President Obama and his team have never focused on job issues with the intensity that is needed. And now they are simply being ridiculous.

David Plouffe, the president’s political czar, said on the eve of the release of Friday’s dismal jobs numbers that he does not believe that the high unemployment rate poses a threat to President Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign.

Speaking to reporters this week, Plouffe said, “The average American does not view the economy through the prism of GDP or unemployment rates or even monthly jobs numbers. People won’t vote based on the unemployment rate, they’re going to vote based on: ‘How do I feel about my own situation? Do I believe the president makes decisions based on me and my family?’ ”

The unemployed, the underemployed and the abandoned add up to almost one in five Americans. And an awfully lot of them live in battleground states such as Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania —all of which President Obama won in 2008, all of which President Obama needs to win in 2012.

Now, let’s be clear, no one in their right mind thinks that the Republicans who would be president are any more concerned about jobless Americans than is the Obama administration.

No president since Franklin Roosevelt has won re-election when the unemployment rate was over 7 percent. And Roosevelt won because he ran as a candidate who was fully willing to use the power of the federal government to create jobs —and programs like Social Security.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:04:06 PM by EB »

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
More complaining from the 'woe is us' CBC.  Why don't they come up with something to lower the Black unemployment rate?  

I was wondering had any member of the CBC drafted or sponsored legislation to address the disparate Black unemployment rate.

If they had drafted something and Obama declined to  support it, the CBC would be justified in criticizing the president.  However, if they are expecting the President to take the lead on addressing Black unemployment, then I have to agree with y04185.

Ditto!!! "If you gonna bring the monkey (problems), bring the peanuts (solutions).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:30:53 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit

Ditto!!! "If you gonna bring the monkey (problems), bring the peanuts (solutions).

I'm there, too. After all that was posted above from them, like someone posted earlier- Where's the legislation introduced by any of them?

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
In administrations past the CBC like some other caucuses has introduced a budget.  Some of it gets approved.  Some of it does not.  It is politics.  They have done similar things on other pieces of legislation like the crime bill that was passed during the Clinton years.

I do not know if they opted for a different strategy since Obama is in the White House.  I do not know if the White House has pressured most liberal to progressive groups into just going along with the administration.  (See this article).  I do not know what pieces of legislation that they have introduced but doubt seriously that they have sat on their hands.

I agree with what John Nichols of the Nation wrote.  Obama has a bigger problem than the debt limit.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
EB, please post a link(s) the legislation that any CBC member has introduced on which they complain so vehemently about (AA unemployment). Thanks.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
EB, please post a link(s) the legislation that any CBC member has introduced on which they complain so vehemently about (AA unemployment). Thanks.

I do not know off of the top of my head.  I do not know of any legislation that they have introduced as I said earlier.  I have not followed the actions of the CBC closely this year.  (I probably should and could do a better job.)  However, they did propose a budget for 2012 (budget link and article).  The progressive caucus of which a good many members of the CBC are members introduced a proposed budget earlier this year (link).  Some of their members, like Senator Bernie Sanders, said that they would not support any cuts in medicare, medicaid, or social security.

I do remember listening to Roland Martin's commentary on the TJMS when he talked about the CBC actions on a financial reform in order to get more money for HBCUs (link).  It was during the controversy of Dr. Cornell West's remarks about the president.  BTW I agreed 100% with Roland Martin with what he said on the TJMS and Washington Watch about the controversy over Dr. West remarks and bringing up issues with the president.

On the military actions, there is probably no bigger anti-war person in Congress that California's Barbara Lee, and I find her to be one of the most intelligent members of Congress (NPR interview).  Yet, I have not heard her blast the president on the actions in Yemen and Libya.  After a presidential address to a joint session of Congress, I have heard Congresswomen Lee and Waters, also anti-war, praise the president's speeches.  I think a good number of CBC members supported the White House through their votes on the actions in Libya.  The CBC in my opinion has been relatively quite on criticizing the White House despite any differences.

I think that one of the president's biggest problems has been his advisors.  (Some CBC members have not been fans of some of his advisors.)  As I also said earlier, I agree with what John Nichols of the Nation wrote.  Obama has a bigger problem than the debt limit.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:11:55 PM by EB »

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Congressional Black Caucus Members Criticize Obama On Unemployment
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »

I do not know off of the top of my head.  I do not know of any legislation that they have introduced as I said earlier.  I have not followed the actions of the CBC closely this year.  (I probably should and could do a better job.)  However, they did propose a budget for 2012 (budget link and article).  The progressive caucus of which a good many members of the CBC are members introduced a proposed budget earlier this year (link).  Some of their members, like Senator Bernie Sanders, said that they would not support any cuts in medicare, medicaid, or social security.

I do remember listening to Roland Martin's commentary on the TJMS when he talked about the CBC actions on a financial reform in order to get more money for HBCUs (link).  It was during the controversy of Dr. Cornell West's remarks about the president.  BTW I agreed 100% with Roland Martin with what he said on the TJMS and Washington Watch about the controversy over Dr. West remarks and bringing up issues with the president.

On the military actions, there is probably no bigger anti-war person in Congress that California's Barbara Lee, and I find her to be one of the most intelligent members of Congress (NPR interview).  Yet, I have not heard her blast the president on the actions in Yemen and Libya.  After a presidential address to a joint session of Congress, I have heard Congresswomen Lee and Waters, also anti-war, praise the president's speeches.  I think a good number of CBC members supported the White House through their votes on the actions in Libya.  The CBC in my opinion has been relatively quite on criticizing the White House despite any differences.

I think that one of the president's biggest problems has been his advisors.  (Some CBC members have not been fans of some of his advisors.)  As I also said earlier, I agree with what John Nichols of the Nation wrote.  Obama has a bigger problem than the debt limit.

EB, that's all well and good.  But, I think the issue at hand is what exactly is the CBC doing or proposing be done to lessen  Black unemployment.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:03:59 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »

EB, that's all well and good.  But, I think the issue at hand is what exactly is the CBC doing or proposing be done to lessen  Black unemployment.

...of which to date, I have YET to see any evidence of...

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
I think the biggest issue in the black community is jealous of another black person having some success, and we seem to rejoice when some become broke.  For example, I had an uncle that had two beer and wine stores but he was harassed out of business by the police while another person had a store a few blocks away. It so ironic but Chris Rock was joking about how blacks lack wealth that we could use to make other black people wealthy.

The CBC need to sponsor a bill that would create wealth for black people, but other blacks will need to support those businesses. I will borrow a line from Chris Rock, Sam Walton opened stores not become rich, but wealthy, and in fact, he did some well that he made other white folks wealthy. Now what Bill could the CBC sponsor that would have create wealth in the black community.  Create a bill to provide grants and tax breaks for blacks that want to become farmers because food is the only thing I know that overcome prejudice; for example, if you are starving, would you care who grew the food.  Can you tell an apple grown by black hands over white hands?  We can grow with black own supermarkets and food processing plants.
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule