News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Obama tells Israel: Go back to 1967 borders  (Read 7391 times)

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Obama tells Israel: Go back to 1967 borders
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »

Bison....Didn't miss a thing. Sometimes things don't need to be adressed. I just wish you liberals were a bit more honest with yourselves. GO VIKINGS!!!

In other words, you cannot even think of ANYthing that Obama has done that has been to the detriment of Israel.

That's why it doesn't need to be addressed, BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BACK UP YOUR ERRONEOUS STATEMENT - AGAIN.

Rather than admit that you present this BS!  That's a shame.
O0
Oh please...give me a break. Any suggestion by any president that Israel go back to it's 1967 borders is pure BS. As Y suggested....when Mexico comes calling and wants Texas back.....I'm sure you'll say OK. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, who resigned this month as President Obama's envoy to the Middle East after serving two years, said that while President Obama's comments on the 1967 borders were "a significant statement," they do not signal a major shift in policy, especially when land swaps are taken into consideration.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-comments-israel-1967-borders-major-policy-shift/story?id=13658890

What's so 'shocking' about Obama mentioning 1967 borders?
Not much. A fact check on Huckabee and Romney's outrage, and Netanyahu's mention of a 2004 US 'commitment.'

The US president is seeking a settlement freeze in the West Bank. Key aides in his administration are convinced that the further Israel expands its footprint beyond its pre-1967 borders, the harder achieving peace will become. The administration's vision is for an eventual Palestinian state along the general lines of the borders that prevailed before the Six-Day War that began June 5, 1967.

The hard-line Israeli prime minister and his aides are furious. "There can be only one meaning to this demand: It is an attempt to determine Israel's borders and the ultimate status of the areas in question in advance of negotiations," the Israeli prime minister says. "We shall never agree to such a step." An aide to the prime minister is even more dramatic, calling the old armistice line the "borders of Auschwitz."

Sound like the back and forth today, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lashing out at Obama, and Republican presidential aspirant Mitt Romney saying the president had "thrown Israel under the bus"?

Yes, it's almost identical. But this was 1992, with George H. W. Bush's administration and the government of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir. Mr. Netanyahu, an aide to Mr. Shamir at the time, made the "Auschwitz" comment.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchannels/2011/0520/What-s-so-shocking-about-Obama-mentioning-1967-borders/(page)/2

Nothing New in the Idea That '67 Borders Should Guide Peace Talks
By Jeffrey Goldberg, The Atlantic

Updated: May 20, 2011 | 5:07 p.m.
May 20, 2011 | 4:51 p.m.
I'm amazed at the amount of insta-commentary out there suggesting that the President has proposed something radical and new by declaring that Israel's 1967 borders should define -- with land-swaps -- the borders of a Palestinian state. I'm feeling a certain Groundhog Day effect here. This has been the basic idea for at least 12 years. This is what Bill Clinton, Ehud Barak and Yasser Arafat were talking about at Camp David, and later, at Taba. This is what George W. Bush was talking about with Ariel Sharon and Ehud Olmert. So what's the huge deal here? Is there any non-delusional Israeli who doesn't think that the 1967 border won't serve as the rough outline of the new Palestinian state?

http://nationaljournal.com/nothing-new-in-the-idea-that-67-borders-should-guide-peace-talks-20110520

President Barack Obama on Thursday made official the long-held but rarely stated U.S. support for a future Palestinian state based on borders that existed before the 1967 Middle East war.

In the past, the United States has unofficially backed a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestinian conflict based on the borders in place prior to the war 44 years ago in which Israel seized the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Golan Heights and Sinai Peninsula.

In a major speech Thursday, Obama became the first president to formally endorse the policy, but he also acknowledged the need for modifications through the negotiating process due to conditions on the ground.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-19/politics/obama.israel.palestinians_1_israel-palestinian-conflict-borders-settlements?_s=PM:POLITICS
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:46:44 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

Bison....Didn't miss a thing. Sometimes things don't need to be adressed. I just wish you liberals were a bit more honest with yourselves. GO VIKINGS!!!

In other words, you cannot even think of ANYthing that Obama has done that has been to the detriment of Israel.

That's why it doesn't need to be addressed, BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BACK UP YOUR ERRONEOUS STATEMENT - AGAIN.

Rather than admit that you present this BS!  That's a shame.
O0
Oh please...give me a break. Any suggestion by any president that Israel go back to it's 1967 borders is pure BS. As Y suggested....when Mexico comes calling and wants Texas back.....I'm sure you'll say OK. GO VIKINGS!!!

THAT is PURE BS.  What's more,....you know it.  Or, at least, you should.  As should Cantor and Romney.

You and they (willfully, I guess, if you listened or read the speech) choose to ignore the second half of the sentence in order to be ridiculously partisan.

The second half of the sentence was re: land "swaps" to be negotiated between the parties.  Obama did NOT say go back to the '67 borders. [ Personally, I wish that were possible, but that's another story.]

But one thing I KNEW for certain:  YOU would NOT have a single other piece of evidence to offer to back up what you said.  So, I will take the time to demolish your one claim.

You heard some Repubs* ignorantly claim that the '67 border as a starting point of negotiations was something new and you swallowed that false BS.  EVEN y04 pointed out indirectly that Obama was agreeing with something Bush said.  Optimus said it and Nova posted the video on page 1 of this thread.  All of that was BEFORE your response, in which you INCORRECTLY imply that Obama asserted that the actual borders should be what existed in '67.  You could have taken the opportunity to discover and admit that your claim was unfactual.  But, no, you embraced the ignorance instead.

Now...HERE is the sentence that you are pretending only has a first part in order to be ridiculously partisan.
"The borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states," Obama said. "The Palestinian people must have the right to govern themselves, and reach their potential, in a sovereign and contiguous state."

It is truly sad.  And you have the nerve to tell others that they should be honest!
O0

*'Obama “threw Israel under the bus,” said GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney, for instance.'
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0520/Israel-s-1967-borders-Three-reasons-Obama-s-stance-is-a-very-big-deal

Some info, highlander, for you to consider, if you actually care about facts:
At one level, by putting the United States on record as supporting the 1967 borders as the starting point for negotiations over a Palestinian state, Mr. Obama was simply endorsing reality: Middle East analysts say a new state would inevitably be drawn on the basis of Israel’s boundaries before the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, which created the contours of today’s Middle East.

Israel’s victory over Egypt and other Arab neighbors in that war expanded its control over territory in the West Bank and Gaza inhabited by millions of Palestinians, creating a greater Israel — including all of the capital, Jerusalem — but one that oversees a resentful occupied population.

Mr. Obama also noted that Israel and the Palestinians would have to swap territory on either side of that border to account for large Jewish settlements that have taken root in the West Bank since 1967.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/world/middleeast/20speech.html

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
^^^ Are you really expecting for him to respond to what (THE FACTS) you posted honestly? ???

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2011, 08:57:24 PM »
Are You all sure that you listened to the whole total speech by the President of the USA? The President said mutually agreed upon borders of 1967. BOTH parties would negotiate what both would give up for a peace deal.  Go back and listen to his total points, regarding the total process.

Take Care!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
WHAT'S UP, highlander???

First you claimed that Obama threw Israel under the bus with no substantiation.  Then when pressed for an example, you trotted out the '67 border thing.

I gave you, on May 25th, chapter and verse on that and now you ain't got nothing to say??

You fell for the knee-jerk Repub Okey Doke, got bamboozled and now you can't justify what you heard and mindlessly repeated.

If I am wrong, please share where I went wrong and/or how you explain ignoring the second half of a sentence.

O0

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
 :popcorn:

Online 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
highlander?

WHAT'S UP, highlander???

First you claimed that Obama threw Israel under the bus with no substantiation.  Then when pressed for an example, you trotted out the '67 border thing.

I gave you, on May 25th, chapter and verse on that and now you ain't got nothing to say??

You fell for the knee-jerk Repub Okey Doke, got bamboozled and now you can't justify what you heard and mindlessly repeated.

If I am wrong, please share where I went wrong and/or how you explain ignoring the second half of a sentence.

O0
O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »
highlander?

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
With Israel and Palestine in the news again......

I do not post this first video to make light of the suffering on both sides or the seriousness of the issues before the Israelis, Palestinians, Arabs, Muslims, Zionists and America:

The point is well-made that many have claimed the land as theirs and most have been willing to shed blood to back up their claim.

This second video is an Arab-centric view of the history of Palestine - not focused on Israel per se.  This is viewpoint RARELY seen and almost never appreciated in the West.  The author highlights the role of western and Arab powers in creating the modern situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wb6IiSUxpgw&feature=endscreen

One point - not fully developed - is that there has NOT been "eternal" conflict between Muslims and Jews.  But that is not the focus.

That point is emphasized in this "response" which goes on to explain how and when the presence of Jews in Palestine increased and how the self-determination of Palestinians was denied and is still denied today.

O0

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule