News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: 50 Most Amazing College Campuses  (Read 1360 times)

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
50 Most Amazing College Campuses
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »
Really?  There is absolutely NOTHING amazing about Wake Forest's campus.  Have they ever visited Hampton or Tuskegee?  I will say that Elon does have a beautiful campus.

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/most-beautiful-campuses/

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Most Amazing College Campuses
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
Elon? I mean it's pretty and all but........Oh well!   To tell the truth, I've never been on a college campus I did not like, they all are special places.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
I don't know about #1 though.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
Pepperdine @ #4?  This list has no credibility if Pepperdine is only @ #4.  Elon? Kenyon? Sewanee?  Seriously?.... :tiptoe:

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
If Elon is #1, they need some better pictures to justify the choice....
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
.........well, I'm disappointed none of our HBCU's made the list.  I've never had the pleasure of seeing Hampton, but everyone that I talk to who HAS all rave about the beauty of that yard.  I have seen Tuskegee, and it really is a picturesque campus, and FULL of black history.

I've seen several of the schools listed in the Top 50, and they really ARE beautiful.  But, sorry, fail to find the "beauty" at Florida State University.  :shrug:  Indiana University in Bloomington is a VERY lovely campus.  The movie, Breaking Away, was filmed on that yard in the late 70's.  I spent the summer of '77 on internship in Bedford, 20mis south of Bloomington, while an undergrad at FAMU.  I spent many a weekend on IU's yard that summer, so the movie is one of my favorites and very dear to my heart.  And as I'm sure many of you know, IU is also where Kappa Alpha Psi was founded in, what, 1911?

Finally, the University of the South (Sewanee) is listed as No. 1.  Mrs. Strike and I have been on the yard several times, and we are so impressed with its beauty that we wanted Ms. Strike to apply there.  She did not, but it really is a striking campus.  It sits on a mountain in Franklin County, TN, near Chattanooga, and kept so clean that you are hard pressed to find as much as a chewing gum wrapper on that yard.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
.........well, I'm disappointed none of our HBCU's made the list.  I've never had the pleasure of seeing Hampton, but everyone that I talk to who HAS all rave about the beauty of that yard.  I have seen Tuskegee, and it really is a picturesque campus, and FULL of black history.

I've seen several of the schools listed in the Top 50, and they really ARE beautiful.  But, sorry, fail to find the "beauty" at Florida State University.  :shrug:  Indiana University in Bloomington is a VERY lovely campus.  The movie, Breaking Away, was filmed on that yard in the late 70's.  I spent the summer of '77 on internship in Bedford, 20mis south of Bloomington, while an undergrad at FAMU.  I spent many a weekend on IU's yard that summer, so the movie is one of my favorites and very dear to my heart.  And as I'm sure many of you know, IU is also where Kappa Alpha Psi was founded in, what, 1911?

Finally, the University of the South (Sewanee) is listed as No. 1.  Mrs. Strike and I have been on the yard several times, and we are so impressed with its beauty that we wanted Ms. Strike to apply there.  She did not, but it really is a striking campus.  It sits on a mountain in Franklin County, TN, near Chattanooga, and kept so clean that you are hard pressed to find as much as a chewing gum wrapper on that yard.

FSU was the other one I wanted to mention.  I can't peg their criteria . .. .quite honestly, I'm hard pressed to understand how UNC is so high on the list.  Their hospital area looks like it will transform into Trypticon.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
Their hospital area looks like it will transform into Trypticon.

:lol: @ WileE...

Teeny and Little

Offline aggiegrad2009

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Their hospital area looks like it will transform into Trypticon.

:lol: @ WileE...

LOL well he is telling the truth...

Knocking down the competition one game at a time!!!!!!

Offline aggiegrad2009

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »
I have never liked Wake's campus for some reason. That is not saying it is not nice BUT something is just missing or maybe it is just the vibe on that campus that I don't particularly care for.

I need to visit Elon to see what the fuss is about. During my entire time at A&T I've never stepped foot on that campus so couldn't tell you the first thing about it.

Knocking down the competition one game at a time!!!!!!

Offline Gr8ness97

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
FSU?! Seriously? wow.

Wake's campus is nice, but it doesnt blow your mind lol.

Elon is nice too...
Resident highway junkie and gearhead

My next trip:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »
Don't get me wrong Elon is very pretty, it is like being in a landscaped forest. If you like that kind of a thing then you will love it. I'm more of a Harvard, Princeton, Duke kind of a person. Unique architecture, gardens, squares........I don't really focus so much on how a campus looks but on how it feels. That is the very thing that impresses me so much about Shaw. During my second week on campus, when I was alone walking across campus, I discovered the feeling. It is a feeling you don't get everywhere you go. As pretty as UNCG is, it does not have a warm inviting collegiate feeling.    UNC has it, Duke does also. A&T does not at all. The  WSSU of old use to have it.  This is going to shock many but Fayetteville State has it. I can't say that about NCCU because it feels a little too busy and congested. Even though Shaw is in downtown, you don't feel like Raleigh is overpowering it. St. Aug. feels good too.

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
If any HBCU should be on the list, it's Hampton.  Not trying to sound like a homer, but the lack of water on TU's campus is what makes it a close second to Hampton in overall campus beauty.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Black Panther40

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »
Kenyon is up my way.  Not feeling it like that.  Heck . . .there are 10 schools here in Ohio that look like that. 

If you have Emory . . . then you also have to have Tulane, don't you? 

Also . . . I love the stark contrast of Columbia U. against the grit of the city.  It opens up, and there is green space, and stately buildings that you wouldn't think are there. 

Hampton would represent very well here.  From what I have seen of some recent pics, so would JSU.  Small campus, but Spelman is taken care of, and has a nice backdrop. 
Don't you think that's some information I'd like to know?  I like Tacos . . .

Offline LApanther

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
I would have to add Prairie View A&M and Alcorn to the list. I think PV has one of the best campuses out there.
PV Produces Productive People
-2009 SWAC Football Champions-

A-PHI-A '06

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule