News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: WHAT OTHER COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY DID YOU SERIOUSLY CONSIDER  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT OTHER COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY DID YOU SERIOUSLY CONSIDER
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »
Shaw University is the only school I applied to. I am a Shaw U baby, my parents met there in 1960 and were married in 1967. I bleed Garnet and White through and through and was brought up to love Shaw U. I couldn't have gone anywhere else!

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »

Florida A & M

Southern

Alabama A & M
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Georgia Tech
MIT
Brown
Auburn

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 05:36:39 PM »
NC A & T
Fayetteville State
UNC
NC State
Princeton
U of Florida

I know. . all over the place.  .  :lol:

Offline ckbcksTU75

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tuskegee.edu
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »
None other.  I made only one application...... I had fallen in love with TU during a visit when I was in junior high school.
TU..."We will love thee forever......"

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
I only filled out two applications - Tuskegee and U-M (because my high school counselor/homeroom teacher was a U-M alum and made all of us fill one out). Got accepted to both. My dad said "You can go to school where you want but your tuition is going to Tuskegee." End of discussion... :nod: :lol:

GK you were as bad as me. :lol:  I only filled out three,  AAMU, Skegee and UofA.  Got accepted to all three.  

Wasn't no way I was going to school at the Klan Institute of Alabama though.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »

You know my dad is from Bullock County - so you KNOW there was NO discussion allowed... :lol: :lol:  :-X

I laugh out loud now when I listen to all these parents yapping about financial aid. I remember my daddy looking at the form and asking "Why do they want to know about my mortgage?" and throwing that form to the side. It's probably still somewhere on the top shelf of his closet...along with all the other papers and receipts... :lol:

Klan Institute  :lol:...you're right though... :nod: :lol: :lol:

Teeny and Little

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • Tell em don’t play w me IM NOT THEM AND WILL NEVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 06:01:37 PM »
Spelman.
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
Guys, I considered several schools.  I had a cousin who was a Morehouse FANATIC, but I knew my parents couldn't afford that private school tuition, and it was too far from South Florida.  So I only applied to two, FAMU and Florida State.

I only applied to FAMU because its my mother's alma mater.  But I graduated high school at a time (1975) when young negro lads with decent grades did not enroll in an HBCU if they could help it.  So during the summer after high school, I was really preparing for FL State.  I had a dorm assignment (Smith Hall), pre-registration, and everything.

But something in the back of my head told me that I should AT LEAST give FAMU a chance.  I had a dorm assignment there as well (Paddyfoote).  I knew my mom and I were taking the bus to Tallahassee, just didn't know where we'd tell the cab driver to take us until, literally, two weeks before it was time to head up.

I have ALWAYS breathed a sigh of relief that I made the choice that I did.  :lol:

Offline Pirate05

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hamptonu.edu
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »

Applied to about 8 schools:

UNC Chapel-Hill - went to a summer program there, had a cousin that went there, but I always knew I really wanted to go to an HBCU. HS guidance counselor strongly recommended that I apply.

UNC Greensboro- not sure why I applied, never really strongly considered it. Blah school.

NC A&T - too many people from high school were going there. They were the first to offer a scholarship

NCCU - family school, but I wanted to leave NC. They offered slightly more $ than A&T, and I saw them as more of the "up and coming" HBCU in NC, which is a good thing.  This was probably my second choice.

Fayetteville State - I applied only because I knew they would offer a full scholarship. The school never impressed me, and always seemed blah.

Florida A&M - They offered money, but it was too far, and too hot. This was probably my third choice.

University of Pittsburgh - random, but they kept sending their application and scholarship info

HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - obviously the best choice

Before I sent applications, I thought about Morehouse but their admissions staff was very unimpressive when they visited my high school.  I remember they showed up late and seemed disorganized. JCSU had a great presentation, but I knew it was not for me.

Hampton University: The Standard of Excellence

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »
Boston University
Howard University
Dennison University
Tenn. State

Offline KHawk

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »
NCCU - As bad as I hate to admit it was my first choice

Hampton - A close second

Morehouse - The MLK influence and being called "A Morehouse Man"

I ended up at St Aug because I had an older sister who graduated from there and my mom convinced me it was a "family school".  Enjoyed every minute there and have never had any regrets.

I actually had an athletic scholarship offer to Atlantic Christian College (now Barton in Wilson, NC) but never thought about accepting it.  It was just something about going to a PWC in 1973 that did not sit well with me.  At that time I would have had to burn my "black card", cut the big afro, and ditch the bell bottoms and platform shoes.  Just couldn't do it.  I had to have the black college experience.  Glad I did.  There is nothing like it.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:49 AM »
I only filled out two applications - Tuskegee and U-M (because my high school counselor/homeroom teacher was a U-M alum and made all of us fill one out). Got accepted to both. My dad said "You can go to school where you want but your tuition is going to Tuskegee." End of discussion... :nod: :lol:

GK you were as bad as me. :lol:  I only filled out three,  AAMU, Skegee and UofA.  Got accepted to all three. 

Wasn't no way I was going to school at the Klan Institute of Alabama though.  :shrug:

You guys sound like me. My dad told me I could go anywhere I wanted to if I got a full scholarship otherwise I would be at Shaw University. Once I came to a bball game and saw the cheerleaders, I was done. I applied to Shaw, got in and proceeded to tryout (and become captain of) the cheerleading squad! My oldest brother spent a year at St. Aug and the rest of his life wishing he had gone to Shaw lol. My other brother, first cousin and I were all students at Shaw U at the same time. Ahhhh good memories!

Offline tiger4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
TUSKEGEE was the only school I applied to. I am a TUSKEGEE baby, my parents met there and  married. I am SKEGEE proud. It  is something about the words to the TUSKEGEE SONG... TUSKEGEE THE PRIDE OF THE SWIFT GROWING SOUTH...I  put AAMU as second place for financial aid papers but never applied. The key was I left my junior year of high school to live with grandmother in North Carolina after my grandfather passed. I missed going to those football games sitting under the "shed" so I had to get back :nod: NEVER  THOUGHT OF GOING ANYWHERE ELSE ... A VERY GOOD CHOICE I MADE....HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TUSKEGEEEEEE!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:02:48 PM by tiger4life »
ONCE A TIGER ALWAYS A TIGER  77‘

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »
At that time I would have had to burn my "black card", cut the big afro, and ditch the bell bottoms and platform shoes. 

KHawk,

I insist that you stop telling my age... :lol: :lol:

Teeny and Little

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule