News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: VISITING TUSKEGEE  (Read 6097 times)

Offline 90Aggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: VISITING TUSKEGEE
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
Gee, y'all make me wanna visit...me and my Nikes. ;D

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »
 :nod:
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
Finally had a chance to visit Tuskegee, Alabama and the historic Tuskegee (Institute) University.  I must say that the university is certainly the jewel of the town.  Just curious, where do most of the university professors reside?

I was pleased with the exterior appearance as I approached the campus.  After driving through the town it was good to an oasis amidst an area that appeared to have not seen much progress.  This was frustrating after driving through Auburn first, another example of our country’s ugly racial past of discrimination and injustice.  Tuskegee University is defiantly a private HBCU, by that I mean there are areas of campus that need some attention.  The pristine landscape is not consistent throughout the campus, there are a few abandon buildings (what’s going on in the Physical Plant area of the yard), and the stadium area is less than desirable.  You got to believe that if the school had a few more pennies those problems would be an easy fix for a school with such history.  However, it is obvious Tuskegee is not a struggling HBCU and there are several signs of hope.  There are several modern facilities along with some older ones that have been nicely remodeled.  The closed campus with the iron fencing going around the campus is a detail that adds a polish touch.  And I loved seeing Black employees all over the place.  Customer service was on point and everyone including the housekeepers and landscaping guys look professional and like they cared.

I would love to see the campus when students are there.  I’m sure that would make a difference.  However, it must be difficult to recruit students to the area.  What is the demographic breakdown of the student body, where do most students come from?  The trip was a quick day trip from Atlanta for but I am glad to scratch that along with The Coop, that’s a whole ‘nother story, off my bucket list.  May TU continue to prosper.     

Offline RamMan4Life

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
I think that recruiting students to Tuskegee (or any other HBCU not in a metropolis) is difficult because a portion of this generation doesn't consider the heritage of a HBCU when conversations about college begin. As we all have debated ad nauseum here, this generation is more geared towards the party life outside of the college and not the core reason for attending (which should be education). Quite a few staff members reside in Auburn and other areas. On a side note, I love the landscaping because I have several "samples" of lovely roses growing in my yard now from my last visit. ;D ;D ;D
A past to cherish....a future to fulfill.

Class of '92

Home of the1960 Albany State College Rams, who finished the season UNDEFEATED and a DEFENSE UNSCORED UPON!!

KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY,INC.
 "Detrimental" Delta Xi Chapter

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
The stadium might seem less than desirable, but it is  unique...the setup they have with tailgating is cool and the view is great....when they do renovate I hope that it doesn't lose it's ambiance...it is a great gameday experience :nod:

I'm kind of ticked that I won't be going there  this year...
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline aggiegrad2009

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »
I think that recruiting students to Tuskegee (or any other HBCU not in a metropolis) is difficult because a portion of this generation doesn't consider the heritage of a HBCU when conversations about college begin. As we all have debated ad nauseum here, this generation is more geared towards the party life outside of the college and not the core reason for attending (which should be education). Quite a few staff members reside in Auburn and other areas. On a side note, I love the landscaping because I have several "samples" of lovely roses growing in my yard now from my last visit. ;D ;D ;D

:( I guess I owe my mom an apology...She was doing all she can to get a few "samples" of flowers when down in Tuskegee....  I told her she was the only person I knew that couldn't pass a flower and not want to take it home and plant it in her yard.

Knocking down the competition one game at a time!!!!!!

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
Tell her next time to just get a couple... ;D

Teeny and Little

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
RIGHT ON AGGIE D.  :clap:

Offline NovaSkegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
Finally had a chance to visit Tuskegee, Alabama and the historic Tuskegee (Institute) University.  I must say that the university is certainly the jewel of the town.  Just curious, where do most of the university professors reside?

Montgomery, Auburn and Atlanta.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
The bulk live from Auburn south to the Gump...there are a few who live in Macon County and in Tuskegee - there are several communities that are not in the actual town but have Tuskegee mailing address...Tuskegee is the Macon County seat... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline NovaSkegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
Tuskegee University is defiantly a private HBCU, by that I mean there are areas of campus that need some attention.  The pristine landscape is not consistent throughout the campus, there are a few abandon buildings (what’s going on in the Physical Plant area of the yard), and the stadium area is less than desirable.  You got to believe that if the school had a few more pennies those problems would be an easy fix for a school with such history.  However, it is obvious Tuskegee is not a struggling HBCU and there are several signs of hope.

Yes, there is a major difference between a public university and private university. As you would know being from NC A&T. A campus that has changed greatly over the last few years due only to heavy state funding and not private funding.

Offline aggiegrad2009

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
Tuskegee University is defiantly a private HBCU, by that I mean there are areas of campus that need some attention.  The pristine landscape is not consistent throughout the campus, there are a few abandon buildings (what’s going on in the Physical Plant area of the yard), and the stadium area is less than desirable.  You got to believe that if the school had a few more pennies those problems would be an easy fix for a school with such history.  However, it is obvious Tuskegee is not a struggling HBCU and there are several signs of hope.

Yes, there is a major difference between a public university and private university. As you would know being from NC A&T. A campus that has changed greatly over the last few years due only to heavy state funding and not private funding.

You just won me a drink for tonight... :nod: :nod: :nod: I bet someone that you would say exactly what you just said.....First round at Alive After Five @ Epic Center this evening is on them.....

Knocking down the competition one game at a time!!!!!!

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
 :snicker

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
I'm kind of ticked that I won't be going there  this year...

VG, you don't have to wait until FVSU comes to Tuskegee to take in a game at Da Bowl.  You are always welcome to come whenever you wish.  You will always be extended the good old TU hospitality.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
....not in no dayum 6 inch mile high heels... :nono2:
BOOM.....WHO DAT ROLLIN' DOWN DA HILL WITH DA TUBA'S
 :lmao:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule