News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Black radio really really sucks  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Black radio really really sucks
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
I was originally going to title this thread Atlanta radio sucks, but I do like 99X and Axel in the morning and CAU radio with Morris.

In Atlanta, Especially in the morning we are given a choice of crap if you want black radio

Yolanda Adams Morning show
Frank Ski
Tom Joyner
Steve Harvey
Rickey Smiley

Now I know all of these, outside of Frank Ski, are national radio shows so that is the main reason why this isnt Atlanta black radio sucks.

I wont attack Yolanda Adams because I am not a Christian, and I know I am nowhere near a target audience. Although I will say the Bishop Secular segment is, has, and never will be funny.

Frank Ski is probably the most arrogant twat to ever walk this earth. He constantly speaks on issues he knows nothing about, is very condescending to the ghetto stereotypical mammy-like character he has working with him, and is even more condescending to the people who call in. I honestly dont see how he got this show by trying to act like he speaks for men when acting as messy as a woman on her period. My old roommate told me his friend at a gay club use to have sex with him...but I wont speak on that because I dont know for sure. His radio show is horrible though.

Now Tom Joyner......This will be particularly hard because I use to enjoy him. His shows has really really gone down the tubes though. His ignorance on world events during the news break makes it impossible to take anything he says serious on other issues. I still enjoy Jay Anthony brown, even though his old black man chasing after white women routine is so early 20th century and worn out. Cybil is ok...I guess, and huggy bear is corny enough for me to like him. I hate that dude who raps news and events and whatnot. I turn the radio off with him, and there is this horrible mammy coon character Cheryl Underwood who I hate more than anything. She ruins the show, and the fact they her, fat albert, and the pseudo-intellectual jeff johnson on there makes me think of them as a joke, and that is exactly what they are now. The little tantrum jay and tom had over tavis leaving was the straw that broke the camels back.

Steve Harvey is the same as tom joyner, except replace the good supporting crew of jay and Cybil with the poor one of shirley and Nephew tommy. These two twats are probably worse than Steve "Always spitting on the mic" Harvey. They also have Cheryl Underwood on all the time, which makes them unbearable. The strawberry letters are their selling point, and never have there been such a fake segment. These letters are clearly forged and they hung up on me when I called in to question them about a strawberry letter from Australia. The letter clearly said the woman was listening from Adelaide Australia, but I had been there and you cant get American radio there even on a personal radio based on the fact that AA and Radio adelaide scrambles the entire area to only where local stations can get play. They hung up on me.....but this is just proof they are liars. Strawberry letters are also stupid too.....so poorly written that I am sure Steve "Unfunny" Harvey writes them himself.

Last, but certainly not least in terms of hate, is the Rickey Smiley Morning show. Its like they literally took the least qualified people to work in radio on earth and gave them a job. Rickey Smiley proves himself to be a judgemental, immature, and unfunny person every time he gets on the radio. Gary with a T has to put up with a bunch of homophobic and disrespectful remarks every day on air,  and tiny is often the butt of offensive and inappropriate midget jokes. Whoever they have reporting on music is also one of the worst people on earth.

He literally goes on and on about some crappy rapper or RnB singer selling 20,000 records, but refuses to even acknowledge probably one of the greatest RnB singers of the current generation Amy Winehouse. They made fun of her so bad for using drugs and other stuff while crying about Chris Brown being questioned for putting a black woman in the hospital!!!!! Despite their hatred Amy Winehouse had love and her back to black album sold more than anything being played on their crappy station.

PROOF

80 million worldwide....who sells more now?! F U Rickey Smiley! He looks like a drug addict while hes joking.

Allah knows I try to support black radio, but they arent making it easy >:(

Thank god for Morris in the morning

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Black radio really really sucks
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
UHHHMMM....TURN DA DAYUM RADIO OFF!  :shrug:
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #GeauxJAGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »
Neymar, I would most definitely have to AGREE about Atlanta radio sucking it!  

Only Atlanta station I listen to is CAU's 91.9 ja-- of the city. And thank God almighty for it....and also WRFG 89.3 some times depending on the time of day or nite.

Everything else sucks monkey nuttis!   :brickwall:

Of course, anytime I think that I always hear Bison 4 Life in  my head saying "yo Black a-- still listening to FM radio? you ain't got satellite radio yet?"   Shuddup, Bison!   :lol:
When Karen gets ejected from the game....

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
 :nod: I forgot who said it  ;)
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »

Of course, anytime I think that I always hear Bison 4 Life in  my head saying "yo Black a-- still listening to FM radio? you ain't got satellite radio yet?"   Shuddup, Bison!   :lol:

That's what I was going to say.  I've had Sirius for six years now, and there's no looking back.  Other than alternating back and forth between certain segments of the TJMS and WSB AM 750 in the mornings, my radio is on Sirius the rest of the time, especially now that the Two Live Stews are now on.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
I have not listened to local radio for almost a decade. Now with the Sirius ?XM merger  that is starting to slide downward with commercials creeping in more and more.

The problem with so-called Black radio is that there is little diversity. In most big Black populated cities is you have two or three HOT( insert #) hip hop stations that play the same twelve songs all day and a gospel am station and that's it.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

That's what I was going to say.  I've had Sirius for six years now, and there's no looking back.  Other than alternating back and forth between certain segments of the TJMS and WSB AM 750 in the mornings, my radio is on Sirius the rest of the time, especially now that the Two Live Stews are now on.

Im not too keen on paying extra for radio though. Does sirius give me a choice of listening to middle eastern or Arabic stations?

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
Neymar the local DJs are horrible. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
if you are mad that radio sucks, blame the congress for passing legislation that allowed for the deregulation of the industry (Telecommunications Act of 1996).

It's cheaper to produce syndicated programs than have local shows.

My comprehensive project is on this very subject and whether or not we need more gov. regulation in order to rectify this.  

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
B4L - 100% agreement on potential downward slide of Sirius/XM. I've noticed more pseudo commercials too. Still light years better than the typical garbage on the air. Isn't it shameful how low our standards are for our radio and news/entertainment outlets? The only things worse than a black radio station are black newspapers and magazines.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
B4L - 100% agreement on potential downward slide of Sirius/XM. I've noticed more pseudo commercials too. Still light years better than the typical garbage on the air. Isn't it shameful how low our standards are for our radio and news/entertainment outlets? The only things worse than a black radio station are black newspapers and magazines.

Black Radio is dying unfortunately.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »

Black Radio is dying unfortunately.

Not too unfortunate if you listen to it....I say bring on the death because they clearly are suffering with a terminal illness. :lol: :lol:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • Tell em don’t play w me IM NOT THEM AND WILL NEVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
Dang Neymar, you said a mouthful.  :lol:
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

Offline RamMan4Life

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
Most times I listen to NPR/ja--/TJMS (only in morning) if I am in the car.
A past to cherish....a future to fulfill.

Class of '92

Home of the1960 Albany State College Rams, who finished the season UNDEFEATED and a DEFENSE UNSCORED UPON!!

KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY,INC.
 "Detrimental" Delta Xi Chapter

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #GeauxJAGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Im not too keen on paying extra for radio though. Does sirius give me a choice of listening to middle eastern or Arabic stations?

Believe it or not, I can dig a lot of their music. I've checked out various types of music through the Putumayo series. Nice stuff and I love being able to just throw on some music and let it play.   :nod:
When Karen gets ejected from the game....

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule