News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Ft. Bragg Housing Apologizes to Breast Feeding Mother  (Read 811 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Ft. Bragg Housing Apologizes to Breast Feeding Mother
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Some people are just so stupid.  Breast feeding is better than cow's milk. 

Full story

Picerne Military Housing has issued a public apology to a military spouse who was prohibited from breast-feeding her baby in one of its offices on Fort Bragg.

Jess Lanham drove to Fort Bragg with two of her three daughters last week to apply for military housing. Lanham has been living with in-laws in Rocky Mount while her husband serves in Afghanistan. He's scheduled to return next month.

During her meeting with Picerne, the private company that manages living quarters at Fort Bragg, Lanham discreetly began feeding her 8-month-old daughter, Zoey, who was covered in a baby sling.

The woman handling Lanham's housing application told her she could breast-feed in the restroom, she could ask if another office in the building had an appropriate place or she could come back to finish her application another time.

Lanham said when she asked why she couldn't feed Zoey, the woman replied that Picerne had to maintain a "business atmosphere."

North Carolina law allows women to breast-feed in any public or private location where they're otherwise authorized to be, regardless of whether the woman's nipple is exposed. And federal law allows women to breast-feed in any federal building or on federal property.

"Even if the law didn't protect me, it would have been a very private place to nurse," Lanham said of the office, which she said the Picerne employee shared with one other woman.

Lanham said she stopped feeding Zoey so she would be able to finish her housing application. Afterward, she went to Olive Garden restaurant and nursed her baby there without any problems.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ft. Bragg Housing Apologizes to Breast Feeding Mother
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
I am constantly surprised at how people act like breast feeding some kind of indecent exposure.

There are entertainers who parade around in barely-there outfit on television, in magazines and in concerts, and folks have the nerve to go puritanical because a woman wants to feed her baby?

I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »
Breasts are sexualized here. That's why people get so excited when they see a woman nursing her baby! That's what those things really are for! I have no problem with a woman nursing her baby in public.

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:11:47 PM »
Breasts are sexualized here. ......

That pretty much sums up the situation. 
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
I am constantly surprised at how people act like breast feeding some kind of indecent exposure.
There are entertainers who parade around in barely-there outfit on television, in magazines and in concerts, and folks have the nerve to go puritanical because a woman wants to feed her baby?

Me too, it is natural and as long as its done with taste and discretion there is nothing wrong with it.  :shrug:  Heck I'm 54 and I still breast feed as often as humanly possible.  :lol:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
Heck I'm 54 and I still breast feed as often as humanly possible.  :lol:

:lol:

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »

Me too, it is natural and as long as its done with taste and discretion there is nothing wrong with it.  :shrug:  Heck I'm 54 and I still breast feed as often as humanly possible.  :lol:

:lmao:
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Offline ToUgh1881

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile