News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: 43 Years Ago Today  (Read 2460 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
43 Years Ago Today
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, TN.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 43 Years Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »
Great man....too bad it was in vain.

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
Good point.
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »

Why do you say it was in vain????  Please expound because I think I'm curious to hear your reason.
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Lord, remove the front teeth of my enemies so I can know them by their smile.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »

Why do you say it was in vain????  Please expound because I think I'm curious to hear your reason.

Minorities are still not equal in this country
The poor problem still has not be solved as it could be in our society.
Our government is fighting not 1 illegal war like in his day, but 3 now.

The problems he spent his life to solving have not been solved.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
Neymar, that is because too many people want someone else to do what they should be doing for themselves.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline SIUspectator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
I appreciate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.! :angel:  He did not die in vain. :brickwall:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Neymar, that is because too many people want someone else to do what they should be doing for themselves.
Well blacks by nature are "messiah"-based people. We will always look for someone to save us.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
I appreciate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.! :angel:  He did not die in vain. :brickwall:

Then you obviously dont believe in what he worked for.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »
Well blacks by nature are "messiah"-based people. We will always look for someone to save us.

Please clarify:  Are Ethiopians Black?

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline SIUspectator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »

I believe in both what he lived for and what he died for.  He stated in his last speech what he was about,

"'If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?' That's the question before you tonight. Not, 'If I stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to my job.' Not, 'If I stop to help the sanitation workers what will happen to all of the hours that I usually spend in my office every day and every week as a pastor?' The question is not, 'If I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me?' The question is, 'If I do not stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to them?' That's the question."

He also stated that "If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."~Why We Can't Wait, 1964

MLK was follower of Christ and like he stated towards the end of his last message "I just want to do God's will."  Jesus once stated "greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for a friend".  MLK showed the world how committed he was to the cause and the people suffering from injustices that thru his example our nation and the world entered into a new era.  Successes and failures at this point are not on him.  When he stands before God, he will be able to account for what he did in his generation.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:41:47 PM »

Please clarify:  Are Ethiopians Black?

O0

What? :offtopic:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

I believe in both what he lived for and what he died for.  He stated in his last speech what he was about,

"'If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?' That's the question before you tonight. Not, 'If I stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to my job.' Not, 'If I stop to help the sanitation workers what will happen to all of the hours that I usually spend in my office every day and every week as a pastor?' The question is not, 'If I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me?' The question is, 'If I do not stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to them?' That's the question."

He also stated that "If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."~Why We Can't Wait, 1964

MLK was follower of Christ and like he stated towards the end of his last message "I just want to do God's will."  Jesus once stated "greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for a friend".  MLK showed the world how committed he was to the cause and the people suffering from injustices that thru his example our nation and the world entered into a new era.  Successes and failures at this point are not on him.  When he stands before God, he will be able to account for what he did in his generation.

Nice.

Still believe he wouldnt have been happy knowing how we would end up.

Offline SIUspectator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »

Nice.

Still believe he wouldnt have been happy knowing how we would end up.
I agree with you on that, but it is not over yet.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
I think posters on this board say over the age of fifty can tell you a lot of change has occured since the late 60's. In many parts of this country apartied was the rule of law.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News