News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Before you reach for the salt shaker, watch these 'Salt Shocker' videos  (Read 716 times)

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/la-heb-salt-20110322,0,3154629.story

By Jeannine Stein, Los Angeles Times

5:53 p.m. EDT, March 22, 2011
E-mail Print Share  Text Size la-heb-salt-20110322

Enjoying that cottage cheese? We have a bit of bad news for you -- a cup of the stuff could contain roughly 1,000 milligrams of sodium, a little less than half of what you should consume in an entire day. Using three packets of ketchup on those fries? There's another 534 milligrams.

Making people aware of how much sodium may be in certain foods is the idea behind a series of "Salt Shocker" videos produced by the L.A. County Department of Public Health's RENEW LA County initiative as part of their sodium awareness program. Don't let the title scare you -- there's no blood or gore in these videos, just a friendly reminder that some foods, such as cottage cheese, pack more salt than many people realize. By the way, we're in the midst of World Salt Awareness Week (March 21-27).

The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services recommend consuming no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day, but people 51 and older, African Americans and those with high blood pressure or chronic kidney disease should consume no more than 1,500 milligrams per day.

"We consume so much salt, and most of it comes from processed foods and restaurant fare," says registered dietitian Suzanne Bogert, director of the initiative. "We talk so much about fat and sugar in food, but I feel like salt is the other white substance. And just like fat and sugar make food tastes good, so does salt."

If you need to cut down on salt she suggests doing it gradually. A few tips: Taste your food before you salt it; add non-salty spices such as basil and rosemary; and read food and restaurant labels. Also, avoid obvious sodium-filled foods such as chips, foods that are brined or smoked and most soups. Many supermarkets also offer low-salt versions of foods such as canned vegetables. But Bogert said even rinsing canned veggies before eating them can cut way down on sodium levels.

"It's going to take time," she says, "but you can adjust your palate."
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
We do need to cut down on our intake--like anything, too much and it'll kill you!
 I think we've just gotten addicted to salt and it is hard habit to break or even adjst.

My go to seasoning....Mrs Dash and lots of different herbal seasonings like rosemary cilantro, sage.

I do have Sea Salt in the house-but I rarely use.

I also use Vege-Sal and Vegit for seasoning.  I was using Dr. Bronnner's but I cannot find it in the stores.

I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I use Sea Salt if/whenever i use Salt which is rare.
I have regular Salt in house for whoever wants to "run dat pressure up".
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News