News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Really DC??  (Read 1927 times)

sutherngeorgian

Really DC??
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/06/AR2011030603342.html

At DMV Awards, violence mars a hopeful moment for the Washington hip-hop scene

By Chris Richards
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 6, 2011; 8:12 PM
As Saturday night's DMV Awards passed the halfway mark, things weren't going smoothly.

An estimated 1,500 artists, promoters, bloggers and fans had crammed into the ballroom of the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City for the fifth annual awards ceremony celebrating the area's burgeoning hip-hop scene. But not everyone had a seat. Some had already had too much to drink. And as the ceremony wore on, losing factions began booing the winners.

At about 9:45 p.m., witnesses say it turned ugly. During a program intermission, a fight errupted between two crews, quickly spiraling into a full-scale brawl in the hotel atrium. Witnesses said that between 20 and 60 people were involved in the altercation. Punches were thrown. Bottles were broken. Tables were flipped.

One fan videotaped the fray - you can watch it on YouTube - while others dialed 911. In a few short minutes, an evening dedicated to recognizing the unprecedented growth of the Washington-area hip-hop community had unraveled into chaos.

"The idea was to bring people together, and this is so sad," said Natasha Brown, the event's publicist. "It took us back in a year where we were really moving forward."

Organizers issued a statement on their website Sunday afternoon. "This community is comprised of thousands from Baltimore to northern Virginia who love to make music and support the artists who do so," the statement read. "It was in this spirit that the DMV Music Awards were created five years ago, and in this spirit, the 'DMV' will continue to move forward in the efforts to share great work with the worldwide community of music fans."

Promoter Dre All Day in the Paint said that while it may be hard to find a venue, the event will take place again next year. "I'm not going to allow one bad incident to taint the whole project," he said.

Details about what triggered the fight remain blurry, but by the time Arlington police had ordered the crowd home, five people had been sent to the hospital with injuries, including one hotel employee. No arrests were made.

For local hip-hop and go-go fans, the story is sadly familiar. Washington's go-go scene has struggled with nightclub violence for years - so much so that District Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier established a weekly "go-go report" targeting venues where conflict was expected to break out. Last year, Love, the city's leading hip-hop nightclub, closed for more than three months after a non-fatal stabbing took place inside the venue.

Read more via the link above...

Youtube clip... :no:

that's all... :no:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:57:53 AM by that damnYOGI.... »

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
Re: Really DC??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
During a program intermission, a fight errupted between two crews, quickly spiraling into a full-scale brawl in the hotel atrium. Witnesses said that between 20 and 60 people were involved in the altercation. Punches were thrown. Bottles were broken. Tables were flipped.

:shrug:  and you're surprised because......?   :shrug:

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
When I lived in DC I used to go to "Classics" on Allentown Road--heard they now use metal detectors for entrance to the club.

sutherngeorgian

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
JayT, I am surprised because after speaking to a young lady here in DC, who is a rapper, stated that other rappers in the DMV does not support one another like the ones in Atlanta and in the South. And is the main reason why many young artists in this area don't get any considerable looks because they have this "crab in the barrel" mentality. Earlier this year the area's talent has been on the radio and some are really good rappers and soloist. It just sad that they have gone this far to showcase their ignorance by their various crews in Crystal City, ARLINGTON COUNTY, of all places! It will be hard press for any venue in the area to take them on and to be taking seriously with the constant violence that spill over from their various hoods, to the clubs and into public venues.

that's all... :tiptoe:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Indeed!   

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47:29 AM »
Surprised the hotel tok them in Arlington.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
JayT, I am surprised because after speaking to a young lady here in DC, who is a rapper, stated that other rappers in the DMV does not support one another like the ones in Atlanta and in the South. And is the main reason why many young artists in this area don't get any considerable looks because they have this "crab in the barrel" mentality. Earlier this year the area's talent has been on the radio and some are really good rappers and soloist. It just sad that they have gone this far to showcase their ignorance by their various crews in Crystal City, ARLINGTON COUNTY, of all places! It will be hard press for any venue in the area to take them on and to be taking seriously with the constant violence that spill over from their various hoods, to the clubs and into public venues.

that's all... :tiptoe:

I think it's the whole area.  Look at how long it took Wale to break out of DC.  You got another capable cat in Tabi Bonney, but most of my DC folks call him a bamma.  lmao.

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/06/AR2011030603342.html

At DMV Awards, violence mars a hopeful moment for the Washington hip-hop scene

Promoter Dre All Day in the Paint said that while it may be hard to find a venue, the event will take place again next year. "I'm not going to allow one bad incident to taint the whole project," he said.

Love his attitude! I hope he continues the show.

But our young people cannot never seem to interact with one another wthout some kind of fighting.

It is a shame, I used to go to plenty of go-go shows...and at least for us--we saw maybe one fight and it was broken up.

Now these young folks fight like gladiators and don't care where they are or how they behave.
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

sutherngeorgian

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:43:46 AM »
Surprised the hotel tok them in Arlington.

Exactly. They should have had it in the Days Inn, if they wanted to tear some schyt up. Hell, you wouldn't been able to tell.

that's all...

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
That's why no major venue in DC books go-go shows. If memory serves the Verizon Center has never had a go-go concert. Insurance is to high for promoters to book hip hop or DC unless at the megastar level ( Jay-Z,Kanye,etc).

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Why is anyone suprised that violence broke out at an event featuring an art form that glorifies violence?  :shrug:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »
That's why no major venue in DC books go-go shows. If memory serves the Verizon Center has never had a go-go concert. Insurance is to high for promoters to book hip hop or DC unless at the megastar level ( Jay-Z,Kanye,etc).

True indeed. As someone who has lived in the DMV my entire lifetime I am truly say that folks here are getting tired of this mentality.  And this is exactly why the gap is growing here and things won't get any better.  Look at all the talent that has come through this area.  I can't even blame folks for not supporting the local music group.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
Why is anyone suprised that violence broke out at an event featuring an art form that glorifies violence?  :shrug:

Precisely...

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »
^^^notice how no one answered the question.  :no:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »

True, not to mention the demographic that art form primarily caters to.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule