News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: The Real 'Birther' Conspiracy Theory  (Read 1028 times)

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The Real 'Birther' Conspiracy Theory
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »
February 11, 2011

The Real 'Birther' Conspiracy Theory

By Jack Cashill

In the course of my inquiries into many of history's more recent controversies -- JFK, Waco, Vince Foster, Oklahoma City, Ron Brown, TWA Flight 800, 9/11, Obama's birth, the authorship of Obama's books -- I have come to see that when there are actual conspiracies afoot, they fall into two general categories, conspiracies of execution and conspiracies of concealment.

Conspiracies of execution, at least on any kind of scale, are rare in American history.  The nature of our national character and the openness of our political culture war against them. 

Conspiracies of concealment are another matter.  When officials fail in their duties and let, say, a president get shot, a plane get blown out of the sky, or a hijacker fly into a building, their first impulse is to conceal their mistakes.  Such is human nature.

To me, a "conspiracy theorist" is one who sees a conspiracy of execution where none could logically exist or who confuses a conspiracy of concealment with one of execution despite ample evidence to the contrary.

Given this understanding, it is the rare "birther" who qualifies as a conspiracy theorist.  Few have conjured elaborate, impossible conspiracies on the scale Oliver Stone did in JFK or the French leftist Theirry Meyssan and others did with 9/11. 

Most birthers simply want to know where and when their president was born, a not unreasonable aspiration.  Few insist that they know the answer.  Despite my ample research, I do not know. 

All I do know is that the official story -- the one Barack Obama trotted out in his memoir and both his convention speeches -- is false.  In my forthcoming book, Deconstructing Obama, I show in detail why this is so and what the alternatives might be.

If there are conspiracy theorists involved in the birther issue, it is those cynical souls -- and they are many, left and right -- who insist that Obama and his operatives have purposefully dragged the birth certificate in front of the baying hounds of the excitable right like a red herring.  In its simplest form, this theory at least sounds plausible.

14th century philosopher William of Occam had a keen eye for plausibility.  We know his approach to problem solving by the label "Occam's Razor," an axiom often stated in shorthand as, "The simplest explanation is usually the best."  The original Latin -- "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" -- adds some nuance.  This translates roughly, "One ought not posit multiple variables unnecessarily."

The cynics' case weakens the more variables they posit.  In December, for instance, Hawaii's Democrat governor Neil Abercrombie went public with his desire to silence dissenters by proving Obama's citizenship.  When the governor failed to find it, the cynics insisted that he too had been enlisted in Obama's conspiracy to discredit the birthers.

Andrew Walden made this very case in American Thinker last week.  Wrote Walden,

"Abercrombie may act like a dopey doofus, but it is just an act.  He has spent a lifetime in politics manipulating conservatives to unwittingly serve his agenda --  and he's proud of it."

As Walden sees it, Abercrombie likely conspired with Obama to keep this story in the news, all the better to embarrass the right.  When Abercrombie pal, celebrity journalist Mike Evans, claimed on air that Abercrombie had told him there was no birth certificate -- and then later retracted -- Walden and others imagined him in the plot as well.

"The progressives know they can get the birthers to do anything they want," concluded Waden. "They are having a ball, and they are discrediting Obama's opponents in the run-up to 2012."

In other words, Abercrombie's failure to find the promised records and Evan's recantation of a story he breathlessly told on more than thirty radio stations were part of a clever and increasingly intricate plot to enhance Obama's electoral chances in 2012.  Never mind that Abercrombie made himself look foolish and Evans lost his credibility in the process.  The plot demanded sacrifice.

This, my friends, is conspiracy theorizing at its purest, and it makes little sense for two obvious reasons.  First, there is no political advantage in attacking birthers. After two years of "having a ball" with them, the Democrats lost 63 seats in the House this past November.

The second is that Obama does indeed have much to hide.  Whether he was born in Hawaii or in Washington State -- or wherever -- we know that he did not spend the first two years of his life in a happy, little multicultural home in Hawaii as advertised.  He ascended to the presidency on a fully fabricated origins story.

The more these alleged conspirators talk about Obama's origins the more attention they focus on that story.  This attention is inspiring state legislatures to demand proof of natural born citizenship before it puts candidates on the ballot.  Even if Obama does eventually produce a birth certificate that squares with his origins story, critics can credibly ask why did he not produce it years earlier.

That is, if he can produce a birth certificate that squares with his origins story.

OF COURSE YOU FOLK WHO ARE SO WARPED TO VOTE BASED ON IDENTITY POLITICS, DON'T CARE IF OBAMA'S STORY SQUARES WITH HIS ORIGINS STORY OR NOT. YOU WILL LOVE A LIAR NO MATTER WHAT AS LONG AS YOU CAN IDENTIFY WITH THAT LIAR. THAT'S WHAT IS REALLY SAD ABOUT YOU FOLK.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: The Real 'Birther' Conspiracy Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:51 AM »
My favorite line out of the whole thing......In my forthcoming book, Deconstructing Obama,....

Which means there is something that has to be purchased for some profit?

Wouldn't it be crazy if Obama was just letting all this go on.... and him and all these book writers had a secret deal???

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
My favorite line out of the whole thing......In my forthcoming book, Deconstructing Obama,....

Wouldn't it be crazy if Obama was just letting all this go on.... and him and all these book writers had a secret deal???

Now you've caught the conspiracy bug too. Pathetic.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
"Look ma; NO BRAINS!!!"  :crazy:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »
I REPEAT.... ::)

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
Fact Check, please:
Evan's recantation of a story he breathlessly told on more than thirty radio stations

I seem to remember that although Evans was interviewed on several stations the same day, that in only one interview did he make his claim of having spoken with the governor.

What's the truth?

Evans retraction indicated that he had not even spoken with the governor since he took office.  That could be easily disproved if not true.

O0

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »

Sounds like a book for the Onnidan Book Club. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »

You know they don't want to read this. It may bust their identity bubbles.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »
Fact Check, please:
Evan's recantation of a story he breathlessly told on more than thirty radio stations

I seem to remember that although Evans was interviewed on several stations the same day, that in only one interview did he make his claim of having spoken with the governor.

What's the truth?

Evans retraction indicated that he had not even spoken with the governor since he took office.  That could be easily disproved if not true.

O0

Oldsport,

Fact check?

O0

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
You folks are dealing with a mental midget:

Definitions of bust on the Web:

•break: ruin completely; "He busted my radio!"
•raid: search without warning, make a sudden surprise attack on; "The police raided the crack house"
•flop: a complete failure; "the play was a dismal flop"
•tear: separate or cause to separate abruptly; "The rope snapped"; "tear the paper"
•female chest: the chest of a woman
•break: go to pieces; "The lawn mower finally broke"; "The gears wore out"; "The old chair finally fell apart completely"
•a sculpture of the head and shoulders of a person
•burst: break open or apart suddenly and forcefully; "The dam burst"
•an occasion for excessive eating or drinking; "they went on a bust that lasted three days"
•broke: lacking funds; "`skint' is a British slang term"

As opposed to:

Definitions of BURST on the Web:

•come open suddenly and violently, as if from internal pressure; "The bubble burst"
•break: force out or release suddenly and often violently something pent up; "break into tears"; "erupt in anger"
•explode: burst outward, usually with noise; "The champagne bottle exploded"
•move suddenly, energetically, or violently; "He burst out of the house into the cool night"
•abound: be in a state of movement or action; "The room abounded with screaming children"; "The garden bristled with toddlers"
•explosion: the act of exploding or bursting; "the explosion of the firecrackers awoke the children"; "the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft"
•emerge suddenly; "The sun burst into view"
•fusillade: rapid simultaneous discharge of firearms; "our fusillade from the left flank caught them by surprise"
•collapse: cause to burst; "The ice broke the pipe"
•a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason); "a burst of applause"; "a fit of housecleaning"
•break open or apart suddenly and forcefully; "The dam burst"

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:29:39 AM by Cholly »

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »

uchighlander, you seem to comment on everything but the question about your Black History Month post.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule