News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Unemployment Increase 9.8% And Inflation News Not Good  (Read 1664 times)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Increase 9.8% And Inflation News Not Good
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
CNN JUST REPORTED THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FELL TO 9.0% IN JANUARY AND OVER 100,000 JOBS ADDED.  NOW I WILL SEE WHAT THE LATEST INFLATION NEWS IS.

"Unemployment rate fell to 9% in January, government says."  THIS WAS JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM THE CNN WEBSITE. www.cnn.com 

PLEASE SITE YOUR REFERENCE STATING THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS 9.8?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:52:06 AM by CIAA-FAN »
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
CNN JUST REPORTED THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FELL TO 9.0% IN JANUARY AND OVER 100,000 JOBS ADDED.  NOW I WILL SEE WHAT THE LATEST INFLATION NEWS IS.

Somebody is lying. CNN is a flunky for the Obama Administration. I trust the Gallop information.

I went to the BLS and they have 9% too. This is a flat out lie!

Don't believe this lie the Administration's croonies are putting out. Real unemployment figures are closer to 17%. There has not been that dramatic change in the economic conditions in this country. The housing and manufacturing industries in this country are still in a slump. There's only been a slight uptic in the service sector.

http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet?data_tool=latest_numbers&series_id=LNS14000000

Folks here's the catch.....

The percentage of part-time workers who want full-time work improved slightly, to 9.1% of the workforce in January from 9.4% in December -- similar to the 9.0% of January 2010.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145922/Gallup-Finds-Unemployment-Slightly-January.aspx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:55:06 AM by oldsport »

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »

"Breaking News
U.S. Adds 36K Jobs in January; Unemployment Falls to 9%"

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/#ixzz1CzxecS3F

THE ABOVE WAS JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM www.cbsnews.com.  NEXT I WILL GO TO ABC, NBC AND EVEN FOX NEWS TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY ON THIS POST. 
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »

"Breaking News

THE ABOVE WAS JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM www.cbsnews.com.  NEXT I WILL GO TO ABC, NBC AND EVEN FOX NEWS TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY ON THIS POST. 

More lies.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »

"Breaking News

More lies.

"Job gains lower than expected in Jan., but jobless rate falls to 9%"   JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM  www.msnbc.com.  I GUESS THIS IS A LIE TOO.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »
February 04, 2011 Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:50:03 GMT 6:02 AM EST

column archive

"January jobs report forecast to show modest gains" February 04, 2011Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:50:03 GMT6:02 AM EST

"Economic growth is gaining momentum, with factories busy and service firms expanding, but one critical area still lags: job creation."

View More
February 04, 2011 Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:11:40 GMT 6:02 AM EST

column archive

"January jobs report forecast to show modest gains" February 04, 2011Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:11:40 GMT6:02 AM EST

"Economic growth is gaining momentum, with factories busy and service firms expanding, but one critical area still lags: job creation."

JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM www.foxnews.com  I GUESS THIS IS JUST ANOTHER LIE TOO, FROM YOUR OWN FOX NEWS.  EVEN FOX NEWS REPORTS MODEST GAINS IN UNEMPLOYMENT; BUT NOTICE THEIR SPIN.  THEY DO NOT REPORT THE ACTUAL GOVERNMENT REPORT OF 9.0%  I WILL NOW SEE IF I CAN GET ANOTHER NEWS SOURCE TO CONFIRM OR DENY WHAT YOU CALL A LIE AND THEN WE WILL ALL BE ABLE TO DECIDE FOR OURSELVES WHO IS A LIAR AND WHO IS NOT.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:10:46 AM by CIAA-FAN »

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:06 AM »
"Breaking News 36,000 Jobs Added in January; Unemployment Rate Drops to 9%, Lowest Since April 2009"

JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM www.abcnews.go.com

I GUESS THIS IS ANOTHER LIE, TOO?

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
I AM WAITING FOR YOU TO EXPLAIN HOW ABC, CBS, NBC AND EVEN FOX NEWS ARE ALL LIARS IN THIS INSTANCE. 

IF YOU WILL RECALL I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES ON THIS WEBSITE THAT I NEVER TAKE A SINGLE NEWS SOURCE AS GOSPEL AND THAT EVEN THOUGH I KNOW FOX NEWS WOULDN'T KNOW NEWS FROM OP-ED IF IF BIT THEM IN THEIR COLLECTIVE ASSES, I READ THEM TO. 

CARE TO REPLY?

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
"OLD SPORT" - WHY NOT CALL ON YOUR AMEN CHORUS OF "Y" AND "UCHIGHLANDER" TO HELP YOU OUT HERE?  MAYBE THEY CAN EXPLAIN HOW EVERY MAJOR NEWS OUTLET, (INLUDING FOX) ARE ALL LIARS AND YOUR ARE RIGHT.

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »

column archive

"January jobs report forecast to show modest gains" February 04, 2011Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:50:03 GMT6:02 AM EST

View More

column archive

"January jobs report forecast to show modest gains" February 04, 2011Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:11:40 GMT6:02 AM EST

JUST CUT AND PASTED FROM www.foxnews.com  I GUESS THIS IS JUST ANOTHER LIE TOO, FROM YOUR OWN FOX NEWS.  EVEN FOX NEWS REPORTS MODEST GAINS IN UNEMPLOYMENT; BUT NOTICE THEIR SPIN.  THEY DO NOT REPORT THE ACTUAL GOVERNMENT REPORT OF 9.0%  I WILL NOW SEE IF I CAN GET ANOTHER NEWS SOURCE TO CONFIRM OR DENY WHAT YOU CALL A LIE AND THEN WE WILL ALL BE ABLE TO DECIDE FOR OURSELVES WHO IS A LIAR AND WHO IS NOT.

From your own liberal rag......

Economic growth looks bleak......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/29/2011-economic-growth-look_n_663462.html

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »

column archive

View More

column archive

From your own liberal rag......

Economic growth looks bleak......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/29/2011-economic-growth-look_n_663462.html

I LOVE HOW YOU AND THE REPUBLICANS SO CONVENIENTLY "CHERRY PICK" THE NEWS.   I NOR NO SANE PERSON HAS EVER SAID THE ECONOMY IS OUT OF THE WOODS.   WHAT HAS HAPPENED IS THAT THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE HAS FALLEN BY ALMOST AN ENTIRE PERCENTAGE POINT.   ...AND THAT BY ANY TYPE OF BAROMETER YOU CHOOSE IS GOOD NEWS THAT YOU CONVENIENTLY CHOOSE TO IGNORE.  THAT IS YOU RIGHT.   

AND I SINCERELY HOPE THAT YOU AND THE REPUBLICANS CHOOSE TO CONTINUE TO EMPHASIZE WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR NATION AND ECONONY INSTEAD OF OFFERING A SINGLE CONCRETE AND UNTRIED SOLUTION, FOR YOU ENSURE YOU WILL NOT RECAPTURE THE WHITE HOUSE AND THAT YOUR RECENT CONGRESSIONAL GAINS WILL BE IN VERY SERIOUS JEOPARDY.

I GUESS THE PRESIDENT'S OVERALL APPROVAL RATING IS A LIE TOO?  DO NOT BOTHER TO ANSWER AS I AM SURE I KNOW WHAT YOUR RESPONSE WILL BE.   :lmao:

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »

The unemployment rate is calculated by dividing the number of people who say they are unemployed into the number of people who say they are in the labor force. The rate can fall when people leave the workforce or quit looking for jobs. And it can fall when fewer people report they are unemployed. When both happen in the same month, that can cause the unemployment rate to drop rapidly. In the past two months, that’s precisely what happened. Since November, the size of the labor force has fallen by 764,000 while the number of unemployed has fallen by 1.178 million. Meanwhile, the number of people who report they are working has risen by 414,000.

36,000 jobs. Is that your final answer? Fortunately, no. Each month, the payroll jobs numbers originally reported in the prior two months are revised. And in January, as has been the trend, data reported in previous months was revised upwards.

In other words, BLS discovered a bunch of new jobs. November’s figure, first reported in December as a 39,000 job gain, was revised in January to a 71,000 job gain, and was revised upward once again – to a gain of 93,000 jobs. The results for December, first reported as a gain of 103,000 jobs, have been revised upwards to 121,000.

Isn’t the government creating lots of jobs? No. The jobs recovery, such as it is, has been largely a private sector affair. Deficits may be on the rise, but government employment – especially at the city and state level – is falling. In January, once again, the private sector added jobs while the government slashed them. Manufacturing added 49,000 jobs in the month. But government jobs declined by 14,000, and have fallen by 335,000 since last May.

Does the headline rate paint the best picture of the labor market situation? Not really. The reality is that there is an enormous amount of slack in the U.S. labor market. That’s why inflation remains contained, despite the rise in commodity prices. As BLS reports, “in the past 12 months, average hourly earnings have increased by 1.9 percent.”

Workers have been unable to demand higher wages in part because so many other workers are sitting on the sidelines. Aside from the headline number, people should look at the BLS’s “alternative measures of labor force underutilization,” which can be seen here.

Aside from those who say they are out of work, BLS aims to estimate:

-- The number of people who are working part-time but would prefer to be working full-time.
-- The number of people who are “marginally attached to the labor force” (i.e. people who are sitting on the sidelines and not really working).
-- “Discouraged workers” (people who have essentially given up because they view their prospects as too dim.

The BLS calls this tally the U-6 measure, better known as the "real unemployment rate". You can also think of it as a truer picture of the sum total of worker frustration.

In January, the U-6 stood at 16.0 percent. That’s down from 17 percent last fall, and marks the lowest such figure since April 2009. But it still highlights the fact that one in six workers isn’t employed to the degree he or she wants to be.

In short, the January employment report shows a snapshot of a labor market that is improving, but at a painfully slow rate.

Daniel Gross is economics editor and columnist at Yahoo! Finance.  Follow him on Twitter: @grossdm. Email him at grossdaniel@yahoo.com.  His columns can be seen here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/unemployment-rate-drops-to-9-but-job-growth-is-painfully-slow-535893.html?tickers=%5EDJI,%5EGSPC,%5EIXIC,QQQQ,SPY,TLT,TBT&sec=topStories&pos=2&asset=&ccode=

Offline bigram$

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

The unemployment rate is calculated by dividing the number of people who say they are unemployed into the number of people who say they are in the labor force. The rate can fall when people leave the workforce or quit looking for jobs. And it can fall when fewer people report they are unemployed. When both happen in the same month, that can cause the unemployment rate to drop rapidly. In the past two months, that’s precisely what happened. Since November, the size of the labor force has fallen by 764,000 while the number of unemployed has fallen by 1.178 million. Meanwhile, the number of people who report they are working has risen by 414,000.

36,000 jobs. Is that your final answer? Fortunately, no. Each month, the payroll jobs numbers originally reported in the prior two months are revised. And in January, as has been the trend, data reported in previous months was revised upwards.

In other words, BLS discovered a bunch of new jobs. November’s figure, first reported in December as a 39,000 job gain, was revised in January to a 71,000 job gain, and was revised upward once again – to a gain of 93,000 jobs. The results for December, first reported as a gain of 103,000 jobs, have been revised upwards to 121,000.

Isn’t the government creating lots of jobs? No. The jobs recovery, such as it is, has been largely a private sector affair. Deficits may be on the rise, but government employment – especially at the city and state level – is falling. In January, once again, the private sector added jobs while the government slashed them. Manufacturing added 49,000 jobs in the month. But government jobs declined by 14,000, and have fallen by 335,000 since last May.

Does the headline rate paint the best picture of the labor market situation? Not really. The reality is that there is an enormous amount of slack in the U.S. labor market. That’s why inflation remains contained, despite the rise in commodity prices. As BLS reports, “in the past 12 months, average hourly earnings have increased by 1.9 percent.”

Workers have been unable to demand higher wages in part because so many other workers are sitting on the sidelines. Aside from the headline number, people should look at the BLS’s “alternative measures of labor force underutilization,” which can be seen here.

Aside from those who say they are out of work, BLS aims to estimate:

-- The number of people who are working part-time but would prefer to be working full-time.
-- The number of people who are “marginally attached to the labor force” (i.e. people who are sitting on the sidelines and not really working).
-- “Discouraged workers” (people who have essentially given up because they view their prospects as too dim.

The BLS calls this tally the U-6 measure, better known as the "real unemployment rate". You can also think of it as a truer picture of the sum total of worker frustration.

In January, the U-6 stood at 16.0 percent. That’s down from 17 percent last fall, and marks the lowest such figure since April 2009. But it still highlights the fact that one in six workers isn’t employed to the degree he or she wants to be.

In short, the January employment report shows a snapshot of a labor market that is improving, but at a painfully slow rate.

Daniel Gross is economics editor and columnist at Yahoo! Finance.  Follow him on Twitter: @grossdm. Email him at grossdaniel@yahoo.com.  His columns can be seen here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/unemployment-rate-drops-to-9-but-job-growth-is-painfully-slow-535893.html?tickers=%5EDJI,%5EGSPC,%5EIXIC,QQQQ,SPY,TLT,TBT&sec=topStories&pos=2&asset=&ccode=

So OLDFELLA either you dont read or you dont actually know and comprehend what you are reading...

First you state that unemployment has gone UP to 9.8% ...which has been proven totally false

THen you come back saying real employment is actually at 17% and submitted this article....

Now a couple things first your OWN ARTICLE STATES THAT UNEMPLOYMENT HAS DROPPED A FULL PERCENTAGE POINT FROM 17% TO 16% ....THAT IS EXCELLENT ... but it also proves the earlier point that you so failed to see....THAT UNEMPLOYMENT IS DROPPING ....it might not be going fast but its going....

Now on to reasons why your are tripping...

1. You, Y, Uchi always get on here and talk about how the govt is too big and needs to be reduced ....well in your own article it states that govt jobs have been slashed isnt that what you wanted...you cant have it both ways either you want govt reduced ( cut govt jobs) or you want the size to increase( hire more govt workers )....also your article states that the private sector has been increasing jobs ..(another talking point of the repubs) .... this should be receiving praise from you that manufacturing jobs and others are back hiring

All in all just admit you don't like the president because he's not a conservative he's just a centrist thats trying to do his job...and he could do and even better job if people tried to help him out instead of filing frivolous lawsuits

Offline MisterIkester

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
...I guess the next step for "some people" is Make Shyt Up.

:angel:
"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." -James Baldwin

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule