News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Beyonce' father named to Fisk Board  (Read 1885 times)

Offline wilburt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Beyonce' father named to Fisk Board
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
Beyonce's father named to Fisk board
Written by
JENNIFER BROOKS 

Music industry executive Matthew Knowles, who guided his daughter Beyonce to the top of the charts, has joined the board of trustees at his alma mater, Fisk University.
Knowles, who graduated from Fisk in 1974, is the founder, president and CEO of World Music Entertainment. Fisk President Hazel O’Leary said he would bring business and management expertise to the board of trustees.

"Fisk is honored that its alumnus and international businessman Mathew Knowles will join our Board of Trustees," O'Leary said in a statement. "His strategic skills and worldview compliment those of our concurrent board members as we prepare our students for leadership and engagement in the local and global communities."

Knowles earned a double major in economics and business administration at Fisk, the oldest university in Nashville and one of the oldest historically black colleges in the nation. Knowles, who was awarded an honorary doctorate by Fisk in 2008, credits the school with ingraining a strong work ethic, as well as an ability to think outside the box.

"I remember being at Fisk's radio station (WFSK 88.1 FM) with a fraternity brother, David Lombard, and all we did was dream," Knowles said. Many of those dreams, he said, involved creating and managing girl groups that would take the recording industry by storm. "David went on to put together a group called En Vogue and I put together a group called Destiny's Child, and it was because of a dream right here at Fisk University."

Knowles’ group, Destiny’s Child, went on to become a global phenomenon and to catapult his daughter, Beyonce, into superstardom.
FISK UNIVERSITY "Birthplace of the Black Intellectual"

2003 Great South Athletic Conference Basketball Champions.

Six-time SIAC Football Champion. (1913,1915,1919,1923,1973 & 1975)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Beyonce' father named to Fisk Board
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
Well, congrats to Mr. Knowles, but I hope the gentleman writes his alma mater a big fat check, and encourages others to do the same.

What Fisk needs right now is not just a "celebrity" on their BOT, but one who can generate ALOT of cash..........................and SOON!!  :(

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
^^^^  :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »
Well, congrats to Mr. Knowles, but I hope the gentleman writes his alma mater a big fat check, and encourages others to do the same.

What Fisk needs right now is not just a "celebrity" on their BOT, but one who can generate ALOT of cash..........................and SOON!!  :(

What he said....
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline wilburt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:27:56 AM »

You aint lied about that!!!!

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »

Want to bet he'll orgainze a Destinty's Child 'reunion' and try to make some money?

I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Jaggrad

• Assistant GM
  • We Them Boyz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »

Want to bet he'll orgainze a Destinty's Child 'reunion' and try to make some money?

Thats not Nice.... :lmao:

I wish Fisk the Best

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »

I wish Fisk the Best
:lol: :lol:.......having read GAL's opinions on various boards over the years, I suspect that she was serious with this^^^^comment.

And I'm here to tell GAL and the rest of the board that if Mr. Knowles DOES plan a Destiny's Child benefit for Fisk, it would be GREATLY welcomed.  :clap:

Because this board (onnidan) does not allow for an indicator in the profile informing the reader where each poster resides, many of you may not be aware that your humble poster resides in Nashville.  Guys, during these tough economic times, ALL colleges are hurting, especially HBCU's, and MOST especially the private HBCU's. But Fisk's situation is ESPECIALLY dire.  :(

I don't think Fisk's present TOTAL student body enrollment exceeds 800 students.  No, not 800 in the freshman class, 800students in the ENTIRE student body.  I HONESTLY don't see how they keep the doors open, a point of view shared by most folks who live in the area.

They are hurting......................BADLY!!!!!!!  :( 

If Mr. Knowles can use his entertainment industry contact to raise some HUGELY needed cash for his alma mater, that would be the best thing that happened to that school in the last 20 years or so. 

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »

What Fisk needs right now is not just a "celebrity" on their BOT, but one who can generate ALOT of cash..........................and SOON!!  :(

I wish Fisk the Best

I know. But I am serious. :lol:

But a man who could propel a marginally-talented person like Beynonsense to the popularity that she has, based on the stereotypes  and insecurities  that both Black and White America embrace, knows how to generate some $$$$
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:16:34 PM by GALFAMU »
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
As a graduate of a private HBCU, I do understand that money is a major issue at this time.  I am only thankful at this time that we got the theif out of office and brought in a President who understands how to raise money while reducing waste and widening profit magins.  At Howard radical changes where implemented which allowed the school to see a 44 million dollar profit in the last fiscal years. 

I feel for Fisk because if nothing is done now alot of history will be lost.  And I'd rather see them merge with TSU before that happens.

Offline Pmist

• Assistant GM
  • Class of 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »
I say, good for Fisk! Especially if Matthew is ready to roll those million dollar sleaves up and get to work both physically and financially. :nod: :clap: :clap:

FVSU BMMB

Online LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »
I hope Bro Knowles makes a difference and helps the financial situation at Fisk.  Does anyone have any addition information about the conflict betwwen Fisk and the Alfred Stieglitz Collection?  Wilburt and Strike any updates?
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »
I say, good for Fisk! Especially if Matthew is ready to roll those million dollar sleaves up and get to work both physically and financially. :nod: :clap: :clap:

Exactly Pmist. Regardless of who his name is associated with, the man has good business sense.
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
I hope Bro Knowles makes a difference and helps the financial situation at Fisk.  Does anyone have any addition information about the conflict betwwen Fisk and the Alfred Stieglitz Collection?  Wilburt and Strike any updates?
.........the Stieglitz Collection is STILL in litigation.  Fisk wants to sell and/or loan parts of the collection to raise some HUGELY needed cash, but my former boss, the state attorney general, is STILL opposed to that proposition.  The attorney general takes the position that the art was given to Fisk "in trust" for the benefit of the people of Tennessee, and that to sell any of that collection would break that trust.

There are waaaaaay too many issues surrounding this matter to go into here, but your humble poster now believes that those who are opposing ANY kind of compromise with Fisk are probably "hoping" that Fisk's inability to raise some cash will ultimately be the final straw for the university. I kid you not when I say to you that there are "forces" in the Middle Tennessee community who would ultimately like Fisk to be converted into some kind of freaking museum or institute for the study of negro culture, or some such thing.  :(

Guys, I do not wish to offend any Fisk friends and alumni who are members of the onnidan community, but I can NOT stress enough how dire the situation at Fisk is in right now.  I am NOT in any way trying to be extreme or be dramatic when I say to you I HONESTLY don't know how they are able to currently keep the doors open.  :(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:39:55 AM by Strike79 »

Offline wilburt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
Guys, I do not wish to offend any Fisk friends and alumni who are members of the onnidan community, but I can NOT stress enough how dire the situation at Fisk is in right now.  I am NOT in any way trying to be extreme or be dramatic when I say to you I HONESTLY don't know how they are able to currently keep the doors open.  :(

You have summed up Fisk's situation nicely.  But I will add these things.

1.  Unlike Morehouse and Spelman where the Atlanta community has embraced its HBCUs, the same cannot be said for Fisk and TSU and the larger Nashville community.  There is an undercurrent in the Middle Tennessee community that would love to see these 2 schools close for good!  You should hear some of the racist comments that are spoken when no is listening or when the speaker just doesn't care who is listening!

2.  Many prominent alumni have questioned Hazel O'Leary's leadership ability during her 6 year tenure as President.  O'Leary points to the fact that she has raised over $26 million for Fisk during her tenure, but many alums also point to the fact that during her tenure the school has run deficits every year except one.

3. I think I can safely say that all Fisk alums are tired of negative publicity the school has received regarding a) the litigation regarding the Stieglitz Collection sale, b) the school being placed on "warning status" by SACS for financial stability issues, and c) in 2008 the school announced the elimination of all intercollegiate athletics and then recanted later in the year when alums protested. 

Things need to improve at Fisk quickly...

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule