News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Need your thoughts & opines on Smartphones  (Read 1018 times)

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
Need your thoughts & opines on Smartphones
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »
'87 will upgrade his and the better half cell phones in the coming weeks.  At present we have unblocked 3G's from Asia that are okay but are looking to go to either a driod, Nexus S or iPhone 4.  What's important to us are the ease of use/less complexity, screen size, multi-functionality (RSS Feeds, SMS, Email, GPS, etc).  Looking forward to your responses, also indicate which phone you have and your service providers with pros/cons.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Need your thoughts & opines on Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
'87 will upgrade his and the better half cell phones in the coming weeks.  At present we have unblocked 3G's from Asia that are okay but are looking to go to either a driod, Nexus S or iPhone 4.  What's important to us are the ease of use/less complexity, screen size, multi-functionality (RSS Feeds, SMS, Email, GPS, etc).  Looking forward to your responses, also indicate which phone you have and your service providers with pros/cons.

What are you looking for in your phone or service?

I have an Iphone ( gen 1 ,but not for long) with AT&T. I love it.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
i'm simple when it comes to the phone and service.  i want that mug to work when i need it to, not drop calls, have service when we travel....as for the phone itself...texting, calling, email, rss feeds, internet ready....my wife would like social media access....whenever she has the time to do it :brickwall:...but that's a whole nother story right there.....

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
It sounds like the iPhone on AT&T would be best for you. It's simple, all Apps are in one place and if you travel over seas AT&T's type network is more prevalent in foreign countires.  You only have to worry about dropped calls in a couple of major US cities,  San Francisco is one. Driods are good, and in some cases more powerful phones, but they can get a little more complex as well for all those extra features. Apple keeps it simple.  Don't by into all the hype about 4g. Most so called 4g is not really 4g (Tmobile, Sprint) and true 4g is very limited right now. Also folk don't realize is that 4g (LTE) uses a larger processor and will kill an battery in no time. This explains why Apple has not gone with it yet. They are working on reducing the chip size and making it more efficient. Basically if Apple can't make it all fit inside the current iPhone case, they are not using it. Apple is about making things smaller not larger.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
'87 if money is an issue, I know a kid who just got a Droid on Cricket wireless. His monthly rate is like $60. It's not the latest version of Droid, and the phone is not very fancy looking but it is a touch screen and it is Droid. 

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »
I have an iPhone 4...I love it for all of the reasons Cap mentioned.  I also love it because I can browse the internet and use other apps while I'm talking on the telephone.

I have heard criticisms with regard to call quality and the like, but I haven't had that problem at all. 

With regard to coverage areas AT&T has gotten much better in the areas that I travel in.....they have come a long way.

I haven't heard anybody complain about any phone that they have...those that have the Droid love it, and those that have the HTC Evo love theirs too. :nod:
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »
i have a droid from sprint.  i love it.  i like the apps.  it is simple to use.  i can listen to local radio stations, watch tv shows, even comparison shop with certain apps.  mrs. y was dead set on buying a few things recently.  i scanned the barcode and found the items in another store nearby for less.  now she wants a droid.

also, with sprint i get unlimited internet, texting, and calls for 69 bucks.  i don't have problems with dropped calls.  i also roam for free.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
I have a Tmobile MyTouch4G.  Works great so far.  .it's pretty much the HTC Droid Incredible.  the video camera is a beast.  .

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule