News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Keith Olbermann signs off from MSNBC  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Re: Keith Olbermann signs off from MSNBC
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 09:05:16 AM »
Friday’s separation agreement between MSNBC and Mr. Olbermann includes restrictions on when he can next lead a television show and when he can give interviews about the decision to end his association with the news channel.

The executives involved in the discussions confirmed that the deal carries limitations for Mr. Olbermann in terms of when he can next work on television, though he will be able to take a job in radio or on any forum on the Internet. The deal also prohibits the host from commenting publicly on the deal, the executives confirmed.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/olbermanns-msnbc-exit-was-weeks-in-the-making/

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
I think most of the entertainment personalities sign a non-compete clause.....
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
^^^^Yeah, but it's unclear as to when he can host another show, and I don't whether he is prevented from being a contributor on an existing show.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
The standard time seems to be 6 months.....I wonder how long he has to wait and where he will end up...

I don't know if going to CNN is an option....they want to be "neutral" and having Keith onboard would turn them to the left..

I could see him on Headline News.....he can be as opinionated as he wants to on there...Nancy Grace sure isn't short on opinions...although her show is a different format...
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
The standard time seems to be 6 months.....I wonder how long he has to wait and where he will end up...

I don't know if going to CNN is an option....they want to be "neutral" and having Keith onboard would turn them to the left..

I could see him on Headline News.....he can be as opinionated as he wants to on there...Nancy Grace sure isn't short on opinions...although her show is a different format...
VG,

I got turned off by CNN around 6mos or so ago when they started alot of senseless Obama bashing in an attempt to position themselves as neither right nor left, but so-called straight with the "facts".   ::) As a result, their ratings have plummeted, they have no discernible identity, and I sure as hell don't feel sorry for them.

Also offensive is the inclusion of Elliot Spitzer into a primetime position in the lineup.  Here is a guy who went down in abject DISGRACE as governor of NY when it was revealed he was spending TONS of money on high priced prostitutes and trying to cover it up.  So this guy gets a prime time spot, yet one can't seemingly be found for Roland Martin or any of their other distinguished cabal of black journalists?  :(

Screw CNN.  >:(

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
LARRY O'DONNELL NOW GETS THE 8:00PM MSNBC SLOT AND I BELIEVE THAT RACHEL MADOW IS THE HEIR APPARENT TO OLBERMANN.  O'DONNELL IS A STRAIGHT SHOOTER AND HE COMES FROM THE "OLD SCHOOL" OBJECTIVE NEWSCASTER AND IS NOT A SHOWMAN, LIKE OLBERMAN WAS AT TIMES, TO EXCESS.

I WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH MSNBC BUT I WILL TRULY MISS OLBERMANN.  I WONDER WHERE HE WILL LAND IN A FEW MONTHS?
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY -- 3X CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS - 2021, 2019 AND 2018 - "A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING"

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »

One show/person can turn the direction of an entire network?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
I will be watching the new lineup.

----------

Rick Sanchez: I Would Consider Taking Keith Olbermann's Job

First Posted: 01/25/11 02:37 PM Updated: 01/25/11 02:37 PM

Rick Sanchez says he would consider taking Keith Olbermann's job at MSNBC.

In an interview with RumorFix, Sanchez said that, if he was offered Olbermann's old gig, "it would be worth considering."

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
I will be watching the new lineup.

----------

Rick Sanchez: I Would Consider Taking Keith Olbermann's Job

First Posted: 01/25/11 02:37 PM Updated: 01/25/11 02:37 PM

Rick Sanchez says he would consider taking Keith Olbermann's job at MSNBC.

In an interview with RumorFix, Sanchez said that, if he was offered Olbermann's old gig, "it would be worth considering."

.......naaah, I don't think so.  Sanchez is a loose cannon, and wouldn't be on for six weeks before he said something stupid.

I am disconcerted, however, about the lack of "non-white" faces in MSNBC's prime time lineup.  I think the sistah (forgotten her name, but an academic type) who used to occasionally fill in for Rachel during her absences would make a terrific addition to the lineup.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 04:14:16 AM »

VG,

I got turned off by CNN around 6mos or so ago when they started alot of senseless Obama bashing in an attempt to position themselves as neither right nor left, but so-called straight with the "facts".   ::) As a result, their ratings have plummeted, they have no discernible identity, and I sure as hell don't feel sorry for them.

Also offensive is the inclusion of Elliot Spitzer into a primetime position in the lineup.  Here is a guy who went down in abject DISGRACE as governor of NY when it was revealed he was spending TONS of money on high priced prostitutes and trying to cover it up.  So this guy gets a prime time spot, yet one can't seemingly be found for Roland Martin or any of their other distinguished cabal of black journalists?  :(

Screw CNN.  >:(

Olbermann Split Came After Years of Tension

MSNBC never had any doubt about what it was getting when it made Keith Olbermann the face of the network in 2003: a highly talented broadcaster, a distinctive and outspoken voice and a mercurial personality with a track record of attacking his superiors and making early exits.

Even his own boss, Phil Griffin, offered this assessment in 2008, when Mr. Olbermann was being heavily criticized by supporters of Hillary Rodham Clinton because he was urging her to drop out of the race to become the Democratic presidential candidate.

For Mrs. Clinton’s supporters, Mr. Griffin said in an interview with The New Yorker magazine, “It was, like, you meet a guy and fall in love with him.” But, he said, “then you commit yourself to him, and he turns out to be a jerk and difficult and brutal.”

Still, the news of his abrupt departure from “Countdown” — delivered by Mr. Olbermann on Friday night — came as a shock to his many fans, some of whom accused Comcast, the incoming owner of MSNBC’s parent, NBC Universal, of forcing out the host for political reasons.

Many people inside the television industry are astonished that a cable network’s highest-rated host, whose forceful personality and liberal advocacy had lifted MSNBC from irrelevance to competitiveness and profitability, would be ushered out the door with no fanfare, no promoted farewell show and only a perfunctory thanks for his efforts.

But underlying the decision, which one executive involved said was not a termination but a “negotiated separation,” were years of behind-the-scenes tension, conflicts and near terminations.

Mr. Griffin, along with Jeff Zucker, the head of NBC Universal, and Steve Capus, the president of NBC News, had long protected and defended Mr. Olbermann, even when insiders like the NBC anchor emeritus Tom Brokaw publicly took Mr. Olbermann to task. Mr. Brokaw said Mr. Olbermann had “gone too far” in campaign coverage that openly took Democratic positions.

Inside the offices of MSNBC, staff members grew more restive about Mr. Olbermann’s temperament. Some days Mr. Olbermann threatened not to come to work at all and a substitute anchor had to be notified to be on standby.

Mr. Olbermann was within one move of being fired in November after he was suspended for making donations to Democratic Congressional candidates. He threatened to make an appearance on ABC’s “Good Morning America” to protest the suspension; Mr. Zucker was prepared to fire him on the spot if he did, according to a senior NBC Universal executive who declined to be identified in discussing confidential deliberations.

The pattern of great promise followed by eventual disaffection was established early in Mr. Olbermann’s career. As a young sports reporter for UPI Television, he was fired for telling his boss “this is the minor leagues here.” In the early 1980s, he had a short, stormy tenure at CNN.

He achieved national prominence on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” in the early 1990s, but left after a difficult time that included a reprimand for making an appearance on “The Daily Show” without permission. He labeled his departure from ESPN in 1997 a “nuclear war.”

Mr. Olbermann popped up on MSNBC for the first time in 1998, hosting a news show that evolved, against his wishes, into a nightly examination of the Clinton sex scandal. He left and joined the Fox Sports Network. That stint ended in acrimony as well. Rupert Murdoch, head of the News Corporation, which ran the sports network, later said, “I fired him; he’s crazy.”

He joined MSNBC in 2003 as a fill-in host. Less than two months later, Mr. Olbermann won the job full time. He transformed the show into “Countdown,” and he — and MSNBC — were off and running.

He managed to expand his audience steadily. Starting from a base of a couple hundred thousand viewers, he jumped more than 50 percent from 2006 to 2007, reaching 726,000. From there he built the show until it surpassed one million viewers a night, still well behind Fox News but ahead of CNN.

In a New Yorker interview, Mr. Griffin of MSNBC recalled those early appearances: “First day he was in TV, I knew right away that Keith had something that I’d never seen. He was made for this. I mean, the guy is crazy, but he is made for this.”

(In the same interview, Mr. Olbermann could not help commenting: “Phil thinks he’s my boss.”)

Even some of those at MSNBC who acknowledged being spurned or insulted by Mr. Olbermann said they remained in awe of his productivity and the effect he had on the network. Several considered him in essence a five-day-a-week editorial writer, who had to perform his editorial live on television.

It was an “incredible energy expenditure,” one longtime acquaintance of his said, suggesting that there was no reason to think Mr. Olbermann would stay in his chair indefinitely.

Mr. Olbermann himself alluded to the stresses of the job when he said on Friday night, “There were many occasions, particularly in the last two and a half years, where all that surrounded the show, but never the show itself, was just too much for me.”

In an interview, Mr. Griffin acknowledged that Mr. Olbermann was a “brand definer” for MSNBC — not just because of the success of “Countdown” but because his show was used to develop other hosts for the network as well.

Rachel Maddow started as a frequent “Countdown” guest, as did Lawrence O’Donnell, who began as a fill-in host for Mr. Olbermann and will inherit his 8 p.m. time slot on Monday. Mr. Griffin called Mr. Olbermann “the tent pole at the center” of the network’s sensibility.

At the same time, stories about Mr. Olbermann’s thin skin circulated widely in the newsroom. One such story, which was recalled independently by two hosts, dates to early December, when Mr. O’Donnell, then carving out some success as the 10 p.m. host on MSNBC, collegially proposed via e-mail that Mr. Olbermann come on his show to talk about President Obama’s tax-cut compromise.

Mr. O’Donnell had written this post on Twitter: “Liberal critics of the Obama deal say exactly what Pat Buchanan said of George H. W. Bush: he’s weak.” The message speculated that Mr. Obama’s critics would do to him what Mr. Buchanan “did to H.W. Bush: destroy him and help elect a president from the other party.”

Mr. Olbermann apparently interpreted the message as a personal attack; he declined to appear on Mr. O’Donnell’s show. “I saw what you wrote on Twitter,” he snapped at Mr. O’Donnell.

In the last several months, the relationship began moving toward its denouement: Mr. Olbermann hired new agents from the big firm ICM in September, parting from Jean Sage, the agent who had steered his career through all its previous rocky shoals. Several NBC executives said the move was made to facilitate an eventual settlement of the two years left on Mr. Olbermann’s contract.

Mr. Olbermann’s future is up in the air, mainly because he agreed to a deal that would keep him off television for six to nine months, according to several executives involved in his exit. He is also apparently forbidden to discuss his departure.

One NBC executive involved in the decision to settle Mr. Olbermann’s contract said that he was allowed to work in radio or on the Internet and would presumably be free to return to television in time for the 2012 election cycle.

As for MSNBC, Mr. Griffin expressed confidence in the network’s new lineup: Mr. O’Donnell at 8, Ms. Maddow at 9 and Ed Schultz at 10. It was not clear exactly how long that plan had been in place, however. The anchors did not find out that their shows were shifting until the public announcement on Friday night.

Mr. Griffin said: “I believe the changes that have been made fit who we are. We’re going to be as creative as ever. We’ll be there.”

But they will be there without Mr. Olbermann, the tent pole that the network built itself around.

One NBC News executive said on Sunday: “Give us a bit of credit for getting eight years out of him. That’s the longest he’s been anywhere.”

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
good riddance.

YOU THINK YOU HAVE SEEN THE LAST OF KEITH?  I WON'T TELL YOU WHAT IS HAPPENING.  DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.  :lmao:

he won't be on tv anytime soon.  that's a good thing.

I think you are probably wrong about that.  Also, I enjoyed watching his show.

Me too, and I agree.. :nod:
........me, too, and was actually watching the program last nite when he signed off.  I was just as stunned as everyone else.  His departure leaves a serious void at MSNBC.  Save Rachel Maddow and, perhaps, a couple of others, the rest of that lineup just doesn't intrigue me at all.

I'd ask you to consider or reconsider Lawrence O'Donnell . I've been watching his show and I think he does a good job.
He does a good job lecturing people....that's what he does well. GO VIKINGS!!!

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
good riddance.

YOU THINK YOU HAVE SEEN THE LAST OF KEITH?  I WON'T TELL YOU WHAT IS HAPPENING.  DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.  :lmao:

he won't be on tv anytime soon.  that's a good thing.

I think you are probably wrong about that.  Also, I enjoyed watching his show.

Me too, and I agree.. :nod:
........me, too, and was actually watching the program last nite when he signed off.  I was just as stunned as everyone else.  His departure leaves a serious void at MSNBC.  Save Rachel Maddow and, perhaps, a couple of others, the rest of that lineup just doesn't intrigue me at all.

I'd ask you to consider or reconsider Lawrence O'Donnell . I've been watching his show and I think he does a good job.
He does a good job lecturing people....that's what he does well. GO VIKINGS!!!

I think he does a good job of questioning/interviewing people too.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
Consortium News / By Robert Parry

What the Hell Happened to Keith Olbermann?
MSNBC's parent company, General Electric, never seemed comfortable with some of Olbermann's material.

January 23, 2011  |  Though Olbermann hosted MSNBC’s top-rated news show, “Countdown with Keith Olbermann,” he disappeared from the network with only the briefest of good-byes. Certainly, the callous treatment of Olbermann by the MSNBC brass would never be replicated by Rupert Murdoch’s right-wing Fox News toward its media stars.

At Fox News, the likes of Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity have far greater leeway to pitch right-wing ideas and even to organize pro-Republican political events. Last November, Olbermann was suspended for two days for making donations to three Democratic candidates, including Arizona’s Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was wounded in the Jan. 8 shooting in Tucson.

Now, with Olbermann’s permanent departure on Friday, the remainder of MSNBC’s liberal evening line-up, which also includes Rachel Maddow, Ed Schultz and Lawrence O’Donnell (who will fill Olbermann’s 8 p.m. slot), must face the reality that any sustained friction with management could mean the bum’s rush for them, too.

The liberal hosts also must remember that MSNBC experimented with liberal-oriented programming only after all other programming strategies, including trying to out-Fox Fox, had failed – and only after it became clear that President George W. Bush’s popularity was slipping.

In nearly eight years at “Countdown,” Olbermann was the brave soul who charted the course for other mainstream media types to be even mildly critical of Bush. Olbermann modeled his style after legendary newsman Edward R. Murrow, who stood up to excesses by communist-hunting Sen. Joe McCarthy in the 1950s, even borrowing Murrow’s close: “Good night, good luck.”

But MSNBC’s parent company, General Electric, never seemed comfortable with Olbermann’s role as critic of the Bush administration, nor with the sniping between Olbermann and his Fox News rival, O’Reilly, who retaliated by attacking corporate GE on his widely watched show.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »

One show/person can turn the direction of an entire network?

???

He did for MSNBC...

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline uchighlander

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:50 PM »
Everyone is making a big deal about this. MSNBC is ranked 28th......yes 28th among cable TV and Olbermann was their best draw. That's like saying you are the tallest midget in room full of midgets. BFD. GO VIKINGS!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule